FX-8350 vs i5 4670k

specter723

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
I am working on my first build and am stuck on this decision at the moment. I was originally planning on going with the FX 8350, but now saw that the i5 4670k is on sale for $209.99. There are a couple issues here:

1. Firstly, is the upgrade to the 4670k worth it for the hike up in price if I buy it at this price?
2. I don't plan on finishing this build for a few months, does this pose any issue on the basis of not being able to test it and just leaving it in its box for a few months?
3. I've been looking at a GTX 770 4GB for the GPU, will either of these CPUs bottleneck this card at all?

Thanks for the help!

Solution
1. considering the Intel motherboards (get a Z87!) tend to be more stable, and that the i5 is considerably faster in single threaded applications, I'd say it is worth the price difference. It's also less power hungry... But if you use heavily threaded applications, the AMD CPU is probably better.
2. it does not, as long as it's in a dry place. My suggestion, though, is to only buy the parts when you're ready to use them. CPU prices don't climb, so you may get it cheaper in 4 months time.
3. the 2GB version is just as fast, the GTX770 can't properly use the 4GB of VRAM in the 4GB version, and for the price, you're better off getting a GTX780 instead. or a R9 290... That said, no, none of those CPUs will bottleneck the card. Of course it...

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
1. considering the Intel motherboards (get a Z87!) tend to be more stable, and that the i5 is considerably faster in single threaded applications, I'd say it is worth the price difference. It's also less power hungry... But if you use heavily threaded applications, the AMD CPU is probably better.
2. it does not, as long as it's in a dry place. My suggestion, though, is to only buy the parts when you're ready to use them. CPU prices don't climb, so you may get it cheaper in 4 months time.
3. the 2GB version is just as fast, the GTX770 can't properly use the 4GB of VRAM in the 4GB version, and for the price, you're better off getting a GTX780 instead. or a R9 290... That said, no, none of those CPUs will bottleneck the card. Of course it depends on the game/application, but they're relatively similar.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS