HD 5770 Crossfire stopped working

bayates826

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
Hi it's me again. I came home to benchmark my current setup before my upgrades arrived and I have noticed that my crossfire setup is not working. I remember not too long ago I noticed that the crossfire option was gone from catalyst, but I thought it had just moved because of an update or something like that. I have also noticed that my games haven't been performing like they should, but figured my computer was just getting old.

I've been running two HD 5770s cross-fired for over a year with an AMD phenom II x4 965 BE CPU and ASUS motherboard.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

When I googled the crossfire option being gone I saw the main reason is because crossfire is not being recognized so I started troubleshooting. I have swapped the cards around in the slots and tried to boot with the monitor plugged into each one. Lets call one card a blue one and the other a black one for example. When I boot with the monitor plugged into the blue one I get nothing, but with the black one plugged in all is normal. I completely removed the black one and I still can get nothing from the blue one even though the fan on it work and it is physically warm as if it had done "something". This makes me think the card just died, but I feel like it should have made a bit more of a fuss when it did because I really did not notice anything aside from small subtleties that I easily shoved aside.

Is the card really dead or is there something I'm missing. I tried uninstalling catalyst and re installing to no avail. It doesn't seem like drivers are going to do anything if the card can't be booted from.

bayates826

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I have tried each at a time, in both slots, and with both power connectors. I would say the card is dead, but its confusing me since it was working fine not too long ago and I wouldn't have even noticed it dying. Also the fact that it spins up and actually generates a noticeable amount of heat baffles me.

bayates826

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
One card works fine. Either by itself or in with the other it will always work when turned on. All outputs on the card work as well. I just can't get anything from the other card.

does the other card that 'might be dead' make any unusual noises? If one card is plugged in and that works, and the other one is put through the same conditions and same inputs on the monitor, I am almost certain to say, it doesn't work properly anymore. Could you verify the driver your using and are you using the same power connectors for both cards? If not use the ones you used for the other card.

bayates826

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I can't be certain it was the non-working card that was making this noise, but there had been an annoying scrape-like sound coming from the computer off and on. It sounded almost like something would get in the way of the fan, but I could never find any reason for that. That is probably unrelated but that is the only weird sound I've heard come from the computer.

I was using Catalyst 13.4 drivers which were outdated so I updated to the 14.1 beta which didn't show crossfire either. I also downgraded to 12.10 because I have had some issues with newer drivers in the past (I think it was most likely 13.9 so I was a little off). That didn't work either.

I have used both 6-pin pci-e power connectors with both cards. The power is not an issue as I can boot with either cable on the other card just fine and from both slots.