$700 gaming build, already purchased cpu

moot1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I bought an i7 4770k for a reasonable price, and I'm going to recycle my current ssd and storage drives. I have $700 left to spend on the other components. Any recommendations would be great, thank you.

Sorry forgot to mention I already have a hyper 212 plus, also going to recycle my optical drive. I have extra for OS, so just $700 for just
Mobo
Ram
GPU
Case
PSU

Solution
In that case, I update my recommendations
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Blu 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

without the need for an OS you can fit a GTX 770 with a high...
you mean 700 dollars for the rest of the components?

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $668.89

something like this would be pretty good

In that case, I update my recommendations

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($71.30 @ Newegg)
Total: $646.26
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

without the need for an OS you can fit a GTX 770 with a high quality seasonic PSU in there, if you feel like you want to spend a bit more money on the case, RAM or others you can.

For cases, an NZXT Tempest 410 is nice, so is a Corsair 300R
For RAM, you can get a nice G.Skill set for about 5 bucks more if you want, I'm pretty happy about Kingston though

Solution

moot1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Thanks that really is a nice build. Two questions if you don't mind. Will there really be any noticeable difference between G.Skill Ares Series over the Kingston Blu? And would the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H be a better choice for the mobo?

1. no not really, the kingston blu is actually of higher quality I would say, it's a set of hyperX memory (one of Kingston's top lines and of really high quality) that's on a massive sale, it's usually about 90 or 100 bucks. The reason I also suggested G.Skill is that it's clocked higher, 1600MHz instead of 1333Mhz. In both cases though, the performance difference isn't much, but it's 5 bucks, so if you think a bit of speed is worth a bit of money then go for it, the Kingston set is great though.

2. Yes it would be, the Gigabyte one costs more and you always get what you pay for, though is it worth the money you're paying is a different question.
Gigabyte has dual BIOS (may or may not be useful for flashing BIOS or changing settings), black solid capacitors (the best available on a commercial board IIRC), and extra on board buttons such as CMOS clear, power, and reset buttons.
While the Asrock has high quality solid gold capacitors, "gaming armor" which is just better protection/cooling for the parts that heat up (this shouldn't be much different than the Gigabyte board's cooling and protection modules though), and a proprietary audio chip that's better than the standard Realtek that most motherboards have, and comes in a sexy red for people who are into that :p

I'd say that if you can find the Gigabyte one for not much more than the Asrock then go for it, it is indeed better, but honestly when you're above 100 dollars in the motherboard realm, most of the units are pretty good as it is.