Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Closed

install windows 8.1 64bit on windows 8.1 32bit

Tags:
  • Download
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
February 4, 2014 2:07:18 PM

I bought a Windows 8.1 download. I have 8.1 32bit on my machine now. Can I install 64bit over the 32bit?

More about : install windows 64bit windows 32bit

a b * Windows 8
February 4, 2014 2:11:13 PM

you bought another copy?
Score
0
February 4, 2014 2:13:43 PM

Yes
Score
0
Related resources

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
February 4, 2014 2:23:29 PM

All other issues aside, you can't install 64-bit over 32-bit as an upgrade. You have to either wipe the 32-bit instance and start over with 64-bit, or set it up as a dual-boot. In the latter case, you will have to re-install and re-configure everything you had set up in 32-bit in the new 64-bit instance.
Share
February 4, 2014 2:26:41 PM

Depends on the CPU you have. What CPU does your computer have? If your CPU supports 64-bit, then of course you can install it over the 32-bit. Keep in mind, you'll need to save all of your important files BEFORE you install the 64-bit or you'll lose them.
Score
0
February 4, 2014 3:54:03 PM

Thank you for the info. Yes I plan on doing a clean install.
Score
0
February 4, 2014 11:00:40 PM

cnh56 said:
I bought a Windows 8.1 download. I have 8.1 32bit on my machine now. Can I install 64bit over the 32bit?


Score
0
February 5, 2014 9:46:42 AM

WyomingKnott said:
All other issues aside, you can't install 64-bit over 32-bit as an upgrade. You have to either wipe the 32-bit instance and start over with 64-bit, or set it up as a dual-boot. In the latter case, you will have to re-install and re-configure everything you had set up in 32-bit in the new 64-bit instance.


I also downloaded 8.1 pro from microsoft website, however i installed it finding out it is 32bit, what could i do to get64bit version i'm not willing to buy another copy!
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
February 5, 2014 10:54:59 AM

MasterChef420, please do not "hijack" this thread. Start a new one of your own. Be sure to specify what you downloaded and what hardware you have.
Score
0
February 5, 2014 1:29:20 PM

WyomingKnott said:
MasterChef420, please do not "hijack" this thread. Start a new one of your own. Be sure to specify what you downloaded and what hardware you have.


Oh sorry i didn't mean to do '' hijack ''
Score
0
October 17, 2014 5:36:58 AM

MasterChef420 said:
WyomingKnott said:
All other issues aside, you can't install 64-bit over 32-bit as an upgrade. You have to either wipe the 32-bit instance and start over with 64-bit, or set it up as a dual-boot. In the latter case, you will have to re-install and re-configure everything you had set up in 32-bit in the new 64-bit instance.


I also downloaded 8.1 pro from microsoft website, however i installed it finding out it is 32bit, what could i do to get64bit version i'm not willing to buy another copy!


well same happened with me i downloaded win 8.1 when i was running a 32 bit os. and installed the win 8.1 it came out to a 32 bit os. then i contacted Microsoft they told its because i downloaded win 8.1 when i was using a 32 bit version. so they told the solution to that.
solution:
1.) download another copy in win 64 bit os. not again download in win 8.1 32 bit which u have installed.
2.) its my solution not by Microsoft, you can install a 64 bit trial version win 7 then try to download windows 8,1

well i am not sure but i guess it will work as Microsoft help told while downloading its check which os is running so its only way i got. i not have any one near who has 64 bit windows os.
Score
0
November 25, 2014 5:44:03 PM

MasterChef420 said:
WyomingKnott said:
MasterChef420, please do not "hijack" this thread. Start a new one of your own. Be sure to specify what you downloaded and what hardware you have.


Oh sorry i didn't mean to do '' hijack ''


I thought it was on topic and helpful
Score
0
a b * Windows 8
November 26, 2014 6:43:55 AM

Cat-hater

The forum rules specifically ask that you start a new thread rather than chiming in "me too" or "I have this slightly different problem." It keeps things cleaner and more likely to get answered.

Also against necro-posting, which makes me think that you have a wicked sense of humor, commenting on something nine months later.
Score
0