R9 290 and AMD 14.1 beta driver crashes my games

elijah1

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
So I recently downloaded the newest beta driver from AMD which supposedly comes with the new mantle API and after installing the new drivers I was not able to play my games anymore.

I either get low fps in the menu in games like Tomb raider and Assassins creed IV followed by a black screen after I started the game. I also get device hung error in Battlefield 4.

Note:I uninstalled my previous drivers prior to this and also ran driver sweeper.

My systems specs are:
FX-8350@4.ghz
1TB Western Digital Caviar black HDD (7200rpms)
Gigabyte 990F3-UD3 Rev.1
ASUS Radeon R9 290 OC to 1ghz
4x4GBs G.Skill Ares Ram
Silverstone 750watt(GOLD) power supply
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Solution
Don't turn off your on board graphics. this causes much more problems than it fixes in my opinion

The mantle drivers and update are there, but it's too buggy right now to use properly. I have seen very few cases of it actually working right (not to say that i have seen none) just be patient. The performance boost you will see with already such a good processor won't be substantial just so you know (15% ish) so maybe 8 more fps for you.

elijah1

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014

Reverting to the old ones fixed it. Was looking forward to the Mantle update though. Thanks.

"Noob question" Some threads suggests that turning off the on-board graphics seems to have worked. How can I do that for my system as I can't find it in my BIOS. Does my system even have on-board graphics?

Don't turn off your on board graphics. this causes much more problems than it fixes in my opinion

The mantle drivers and update are there, but it's too buggy right now to use properly. I have seen very few cases of it actually working right (not to say that i have seen none) just be patient. The performance boost you will see with already such a good processor won't be substantial just so you know (15% ish) so maybe 8 more fps for you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS