Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My first gaming PC build. What do you think ? (Need advice)

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Intel i7
  • Systems
  • Build
Last response: in Systems
Share
February 5, 2014 3:15:39 AM

Hello everyone!

This is gonna be my first gaming PC build so I need some feedback and advice from experience users in this area.

The rig:

CPU: i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
GPU: GIGA BYTE GEFORCE GTX780, 3GB, GDDR5, WINDFORCE 3X OC
MOBO: ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 (What do you think about that one guys ? Is this mobo gonna be decent for for this build ? And also if I plan to overclock or SLI in future.)
PSU: TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB (is this good? the price compared to SEASONIC is very low)
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz
Case: I'm thinking about COOLER MASTER STORM TROOPER (what do you think ?)
HDD/SSD: only HDD 2TB for now

What is your opinion about that build ? As far as I know this would be beast rig at the moment, but what about in 2 years ? in 3 years ? I plan to game only on single monitor 1080p.

Also: Should I wait for the Nvidia 800 series to come out so the price on gtx 780 drops ? Kinda want to finally experience PC gaming now. Previously i played only on xbox 360.

Thanks!

More about : gaming build advice

February 5, 2014 3:22:25 AM

Hey

CPU no discussions, good one, 212 evo, best cooling even if overclocked.
Motherboard : I'd recommend ASUS VI HERO, It has better audio, more overclocking potential :) 
850W PSU, wich one? Seasonic would be great :)  or an XFX ( the best 2 )

There are many better cases, and more nice looking, have you seen Define R4? :)  Great case, also NZXT are making awesome cases!

Get an SSD! That will speed up your system a lot, with this system specs I'd go for an SSD for sure :) 

*1 years lol? 3 years all games maxed, with 2 GTX 780 even more
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 3:23:58 AM

if its only for gaming get an i5 k processor and 8gb of ram is enough for gaming 850w is overkill get 700w or 750w
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 3:28:49 AM

RulesSpew said:
Hey

CPU no discussions, good one, 212 evo, best cooling even if overclocked.
Motherboard : I'd recommend ASUS VI HERO, It has better audio, more overclocking potential :) 
850W PSU, wich one? Seasonic would be great :)  or an XFX ( the best 2 )

There are many better cases, and more nice looking, have you seen Define R4? :)  Great case, also NZXT are making awesome cases!

Get an SSD! That will speed up your system a lot, with this system specs I'd go for an SSD for sure :) 

*1 years lol? 3 years all games maxed, with 2 GTX 780 even more


Thanks for the feedback! :)  I don't plan to buy SSD now, cause my budget is limited. I will add it later for sure. The PSU i chose is TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB, don't know if this is good, but the price is really low compared to seasonic. What do You think about this PSU ?
Also about the case: I don't care how it will look. Only thing I care about is good cooling system. So is this case so-so for this build ? (cooling system)
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 3:32:06 AM

  1.  
nashdes001 said:
if its only for gaming get an i5 k processor and 8gb of ram is enough for gaming 850w is overkill get 700w or 750w


Thanks for the answer! I plan to SLI in future so i guess 850w could be useful, right ? 16gb of ram is just for futureproofing, the price difference is not so big, so I will go for 16gb.
Why should I go with i5 ? If i plan to make this build serve me as long as possible, wouldn't i7 be better ? I'm not an expert, so I'm just asking.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 3:37:57 AM

theres nothing as future proofing, technology keeps changing
i7 will give u only few fps more so think about price difference
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 3:42:57 AM

I completely agree that there is no such thing as future proofing, seeing as it is your motherboard is going to be already "outdated" because of the new ddr4 RAM coming out later this year
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 3:45:40 AM

cheloveg said:
RulesSpew said:
Hey

CPU no discussions, good one, 212 evo, best cooling even if overclocked.
Motherboard : I'd recommend ASUS VI HERO, It has better audio, more overclocking potential :) 
850W PSU, wich one? Seasonic would be great :)  or an XFX ( the best 2 )

There are many better cases, and more nice looking, have you seen Define R4? :)  Great case, also NZXT are making awesome cases!

Get an SSD! That will speed up your system a lot, with this system specs I'd go for an SSD for sure :) 

*1 years lol? 3 years all games maxed, with 2 GTX 780 even more


Thanks for the feedback! :)  I don't plan to buy SSD now, cause my budget is limited. I will add it later for sure. The PSU i chose is TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB, don't know if this is good, but the price is really low compared to seasonic. What do You think about this PSU ?
Also about the case: I don't care how it will look. Only thing I care about is good cooling system. So is this case so-so for this build ? (cooling system)


I would ditch the psu and go for something with more quality
XFX Pro Series 850W
http://

I'm guessing you are thinking of going sli in the future, hence 850W psu, else a 600W would be fine
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 3:50:07 AM

Roxas_Boy said:
I completely agree that there is no such thing as future proofing, seeing as it is your motherboard is going to be already "outdated" because of the new ddr4 RAM coming out later this year

Yeah, but let's say in 2-3 years wouldn't i7 perform better than i5 ? And what about ddr4 RAM? I don't think that when it comes out I will be obligated to change my RAM to ddr4 right ? Or am I missing something ?
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 3:53:32 AM

Scremin34Egl said:
cheloveg said:
RulesSpew said:
Hey

CPU no discussions, good one, 212 evo, best cooling even if overclocked.
Motherboard : I'd recommend ASUS VI HERO, It has better audio, more overclocking potential :) 
850W PSU, wich one? Seasonic would be great :)  or an XFX ( the best 2 )

There are many better cases, and more nice looking, have you seen Define R4? :)  Great case, also NZXT are making awesome cases!

Get an SSD! That will speed up your system a lot, with this system specs I'd go for an SSD for sure :) 

*1 years lol? 3 years all games maxed, with 2 GTX 780 even more


Thanks for the feedback! :)  I don't plan to buy SSD now, cause my budget is limited. I will add it later for sure. The PSU i chose is TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB, don't know if this is good, but the price is really low compared to seasonic. What do You think about this PSU ?
Also about the case: I don't care how it will look. Only thing I care about is good cooling system. So is this case so-so for this build ? (cooling system)


I would ditch the psu and go for something with more quality
XFX Pro Series 850W
http://

I'm guessing you are thinking of going sli in the future, hence 850W psu, else a 600W would be fine


What about this one ? CHIEFTEC 850W, A-135, 14CM, 80+ BRONZE, CABLE MANAGEMENT. I asking, cause the xfx and seasonic is drasticly more expensive than these two in my country.

m
0
l
February 5, 2014 3:55:09 AM

cheloveg said:
Hello everyone!

This is gonna be my first gaming PC build so I need some feedback and advice from experience users in this area.

The rig:

CPU: i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
GPU: GIGA BYTE GEFORCE GTX780, 3GB, GDDR5, WINDFORCE 3X OC
MOBO: ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 (What do you think about that one guys ? Is this mobo gonna be decent for for this build ? And also if I plan to overclock or SLI in future.)
PSU: TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB (is this good? the price compared to SEASONIC is very low)
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz
Case: I'm thinking about COOLER MASTER STORM TROOPER (what do you think ?)
HDD/SSD: only HDD 2TB for now

What is your opinion about that build ? As far as I know this would be beast rig at the moment, but what about in 2 years ? in 3 years ? I plan to game only on single monitor 1080p.

Also: Should I wait for the Nvidia 800 series to come out so the price on gtx 780 drops ? Kinda want to finally experience PC gaming now. Previously i played only on xbox 360.

Thanks!


Hi,

I am getting ready to build my third gaming system. While I don't consider myself and expert, I have some experience. I have been checking prices and configuring different builds for about two months now.

Mind if I ask why you are choosing a Haswell over an Ivy Bridge?

Also, nashdes001 had the same suggestion for me: 16GB is more RAM than you need. I did a little research and the consensus is, unless you are doing video editing, 8GB is enough.

And for the rig you are building, I think 850W power supply is way more than you need. Maybe you should look at a 650W PSU instead.

Maybe if you scale back your RAM to 8GB and get a lower wattage PSU, you could afford an SSD. I've got two OCZ Vertex 4s in my laptop. Trust me. They are worth it.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 4:00:12 AM

Change that i7 to an i5. make that 16 gb 8 gb and spend the money you save on a SSD.

The main difference is between an i7 and an i5 is that an i7 has hyperthreading which makes virtually splits up the cores, doubling the amount. It sounds awesome and it is but it's pretty much useless for games. Only very hefty stuff like video editing profits from it.

and i disagree on futureproofing. Yes parts update too quickly to constantly have the newest one but building a pc that is still very usable after 5 years or so is possible. However that does mean you should invest in good quality too. So at get a PSU that's at least 80+ bronze.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 4:08:49 AM

alaindewitt said:
cheloveg said:
Hello everyone!

This is gonna be my first gaming PC build so I need some feedback and advice from experience users in this area.

The rig:

CPU: i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
GPU: GIGA BYTE GEFORCE GTX780, 3GB, GDDR5, WINDFORCE 3X OC
MOBO: ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 (What do you think about that one guys ? Is this mobo gonna be decent for for this build ? And also if I plan to overclock or SLI in future.)
PSU: TACENS RADIX VI, 850W, 85+, ACTIVE PFC, 14DB (is this good? the price compared to SEASONIC is very low)
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz
Case: I'm thinking about COOLER MASTER STORM TROOPER (what do you think ?)
HDD/SSD: only HDD 2TB for now

What is your opinion about that build ? As far as I know this would be beast rig at the moment, but what about in 2 years ? in 3 years ? I plan to game only on single monitor 1080p.

Also: Should I wait for the Nvidia 800 series to come out so the price on gtx 780 drops ? Kinda want to finally experience PC gaming now. Previously i played only on xbox 360.

Thanks!


Hi,

I am getting ready to build my third gaming system. While I don't consider myself and expert, I have some experience. I have been checking prices and configuring different builds for about two months now.

Mind if I ask why you are choosing a Haswell over an Ivy Bridge?

Also, nashdes001 had the same suggestion for me: 16GB is more RAM than you need. I did a little research and the consensus is, unless you are doing video editing, 8GB is enough.

And for the rig you are building, I think 850W power supply is way more than you need. Maybe you should look at a 650W PSU instead.

Maybe if you scale back your RAM to 8GB and get a lower wattage PSU, you could afford an SSD. I've got two OCZ Vertex 4s in my laptop. Trust me. They are worth it.


Thanx for reply!

To be honest I don't know the difference between ivy bridge and haswell. I just thought i7-4770k is one of the best gaming cpus isn't it ? That's why I'm making this thread so people with more knowledge could help me!

About PSU and RAM. What if I plan to SLI in the future? Should I go for 600/700w now and later update it to bigger wattage ? And is the PSU change easy or will I have to change anything else ?
For RAM I somehow want to go with bigger memory. (somehow i fear 8gb would be not enough in the future) Maybe I will go with 8/12gb now and add it later if needed.

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 4:22:14 AM

cheloveg said:
To be honest I don't know the difference between ivy bridge and haswell. I just thought i7-4770k is one of the best gaming cpus isn't it ? That's why I'm making this thread so people with more knowledge could help me!

haswell > ivy-bridge. Haswell have some potential for heavier work.

cheloveg said:

About PSU and RAM. What if I plan to SLI in the future? Should I go for 600/700w now and later update it to bigger wattage?

with SLI a 750w 80+ bronze PSU should be sufficient.

cheloveg said:

And is the PSU change easy or will I have to change anything else ?

Unplug > remove PSU > put new PSU in > plug cables in. Easy.

cheloveg said:

For RAM I somehow want to go with bigger memory. (somehow i fear 8gb would be not enough in the future) Maybe I will go with 8/12gb now and add it later if needed.

Nothing to worry about. 6GB is still sufficient. We are long from when 8GB isn't enough for gaming.


m
0
l
February 5, 2014 5:17:12 AM

Anyone who tells you that DDR4 will be out this year hasn't been keeping up with their reading. There are all kinds of stories about DDR4 hitting the shelves by year's end. But go to Newegg or TigerDirect or any computer retailer and try and buy some. My guess is that the first DDR4 modules to come out will be for the server market.

As for the difference between Haswell and Ivy Bridge, the two biggest that I found were improved integrated graphics performance (which you don't care about) and improved power consumption (which you probably don't care that much about). As vmN points out, Haswell does have some instructions that help with application performance but no games take advantage of them yet.

If you were to downgrade from the Haswell to an Ivy Bridge and scale back to 8GB of RAM, you would be able to afford an SSD.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 6:04:48 AM

I want to get the absolute best for my budget, that's why I worry about CPU and RAM. If i make this very pricey purchase I want to make sure it serves me good and long. So should i really go with i5 and 8gb of RAM ?
Also which motherboard should I choose. I'm starting to think that ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 is not a good choice.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 6:07:00 AM

cheloveg said:
I want to get the absolute best for my budget, that's why I worry about CPU and RAM. If i make this very pricey purchase I want to make sure it serves me good and long. So should i really go with i5 nad 8gb of RAM ?
Also which motherboard should I choose. I'm starting to think that ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 is not a good choice.

A good 1150 motherboard is the GA-Z87X-UDxH series.

m
0
l
February 5, 2014 6:39:24 AM

Okay guys! So now here is what i think and need your help.


CPU: i7-4770k or i5-4670k ?
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO
GPU: GIGA BYTE GEFORCE GTX780, 3GB, GDDR5, WINDFORCE 3X OC
MOBO: ASROCK Z87 EXTREME4 (What do you think about that one guys ? Is this mobo gonna be decent for for this build ? And also if I plan to overclock or SLI in future.)
PSU: 650w bronze or gold
RAM: 16GB 1600MHz or 8gb RAM ?
Case: Please suggest a good case with great cooling system.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 6:46:17 AM

4770k
CM hyper 212 evo
gtz 780 windfore
GA-z87x-ud3h
750w +80 bronze (if you want SLI) 600w +80 bronze for single GPU only.
8GB 1600/1866 with a CAS latency on 9(CL9).
CM cooler master HAF series have good airflow.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 7:05:00 AM

cheloveg said:
I want to get the absolute best for my budget, that's why I worry about CPU and RAM. If i make this very pricey purchase I want to make sure it serves me good and long. So should i really go with i5 and 8gb of RAM ?
Also which motherboard should I choose. I'm starting to think that ASROCK Z87 EXTREME3 is not a good choice.


I build or buy a new gaming system every 2 years. I also don't play games when they come out. I wait six months or so and get them cheap. For example, in Dec I bought Dishonored on sale from Steam - for $7.50. A year ago that was a $60 game.

If you are concerned about getting the most life out of your computer, then I would go with Haswell. If you go with an i5 then you could upgrade to an i7 later.

I am not a believer in the 'buy XX video card and then drop in a second one later'. How often does that happen? By the time you are ready to get that second card, you either can't find it or you can't take your eyes off the shiny new ones and XX video card isn't so great any more. Either buy SLI from Jump Street or get the single best card you can. I think you will be happy with the GTX 780.

I don't know much about ASRock motherboards. I have always had ASUS motherboards and have always been very happy with them.

Building a system is always about compromises. You have always have to make them.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 7:07:07 AM

vmN said:
4770k
CM hyper 212 evo
gtz 780 windfore
GA-z87x-ud3h
750w +80 bronze (if you want SLI) 600w +80 bronze for single GPU only.
8GB 1600/1866 with a CAS latency on 9(CL9).
CM cooler master HAF series have good airflow.


consider that i5 is 100$ less than i7 in my country.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2014 7:11:12 AM

if your budget allows it without you having to cut down other part I would say go for i7.
If not go with i5.
m
0
l
!