HD 7970 Artifacting & Crashing only with drivers

Brutalaty

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hello everyone,
I have a year~ old computer that recently crashed in a game (League of Legends). After rebooting there was insane artifacts followed by a grey screen crash again. Rinse repeat.

Motherboard: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
Graphics: Gigabyte Radeon 7970HD

I have:
Cleaned the socket
reseated the card
Rolled the Drivers back
^ a few times
And Reformatted

Still having problems
I still think it's something to do with the drivers. The only evidence of this i have is that the system is FINE with no driver installed.

I'm a bit stumped.
Hopefully the card isn't going bust. I have been thinking about upping my PSU for a while now, worried about capacitor aging.

Any hints?
Thanks,
Joshua

The system is fine with no driver installed because the gpu isn't even being used. It sounds like the card is dead to me, but first I'd like to know what PSU you currently have. Do the artifacts happen immediately after installing CCC or does it only happen after gaming?

Brutalaty

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Thank you for the responses.
PSU brand is AYWUN
Model: A1-650-Elite.

Fine > Install drivers > Reboot. Windows logo is fine > Welcome screen artifacts, crashes within 1 minute
So the video card doesn't get used until that point?
After work tomorrow I'll test the GPU in this computer.

Thanks again,
Joshua

The signal changes between BIOS and OS when you start the PC in normal mode as well as safe-mode. When you see the windows logo (normal mode) at that point external graphics is used to display the output, and its been crashing, means there is a fault in your GPU.

BTW your PSU is also not a trusted unit, it could be the problem as well. Sometimes it happens when GPU or other components are not getting enough power to run. So try another PSU just to test.

Brutalaty

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I switched out the HD7970 with this computers 560Ti and both computers are running smoothly.
I haven't stressed tested, but a few games like hearth stone are fine.

I figured the 560Ti is an older unit and uses less power. Is this solid enough evidence that the PSU is causing problems? or should i investigate further?

When buying a PSU you want higher amps on the 12v rail right?

Also, what is the policy on choosing an Solution? You both gave the same answer and with great detail.

EDIT: Ambiguous

Most of your high wattage components (gpus and cpu) run off of the 12V rail. The 3.3 and 5V rails run the accesories like fans and hard drives, which don't use much power. The best way to tell if a psu is good is to multiply the amps on the 12V by 12V. So for example my psu says 62A on the 12V rail. This means 12*62=744W are available to my cpu and gpus. Since it is rated for 750W it is a good unit. Companies that make good psus have the rating very close to the useful amps. Now I have seen some bad psus advertise 500W, but only have 28A on the 12V so they are really 336W. Another rule of thumb is the stick with known good brands: XFX, seasonic, Corsair, Antec, and PCP&C.

Try the setup for couple of days and test some more games, see how both cards perform. Time hasn't come yet to tell anything for sure.

GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 31A and a 500W PSU minimum (for whole system), the card only requires 170W on max load and the Ampere used will be 14/15A.

Radeon HD 7970 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum (for whole system), the card only requires 375W on max load and the Ampere used will be 31/32A

So now you can see the difference clearly. I would say replace the PSU with a decent brand to stay safe, regardless its having problems or not.

I agree with wanderer11 for PSU brands, they are good ones, just avoid Corsairs CX and VS series they are worst and RM series are having thermal issues so avoid that aswell.

Regarding choosing a solution, I think wanderer11 is the one who deserves it.