Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best AMD CPU right now?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 5, 2014 6:22:04 AM

Im looking towards my next build and wondered what is the best amd cpu right now? its a budget build but im willing to pay extra if its worth it. Any recommendations for a motherboard also? right now my gtx 660 is taking up a pci slot that i actually need so if you could recommend one that has a lot of those smaller pci-e ports?

More about : amd cpu

Related resources
February 5, 2014 6:34:33 AM

Approximate Purchase Date: next week

Budget Range: 300-400 (motherboard and cpu shipping i will pay extra)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming,Watching Movies,Browsing, etc.

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU + Motherboard + RAM

Parts i already have that will be used in system :

Seasonic M12 750W PSU
Nvidia GTX 660
Antec 900 case


Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: none

Location: Ireland

Parts Preferences: AMD CPU Only

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Need a small pci-e port that isnt being covered by my graphics card

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I want it to be faster!
m
0
l
a c 138 À AMD
a c 226 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:36:45 AM

@minerva330. That board does not support the 9590FX. Nor do you want the 9590. THe 8350 is more than capable of matching the 9590 with a sligth overclock and A LOT less cooling required.

@Junit151. No... just no. For any sort of serious gaming, APUs are NOT a good idea. And there is PCI-e 3.0 AM3+ socket boards availabe.

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 143 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:37:28 AM

That Gigabyte board I believe has a reputation as a poor overclocker. That could be anything from irrelevant to a deal-breaker.
Edit: I see the template was used...
What do you have now?
Prices where you are will be different from ours. Have a look at https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0Ag... to see what boards to avoid due to potential VRM issues. You want a true 900-series chipset board, not one of the older 700-series boards, including those with liar labels (e.g. "960," "980," and even some "970DE" boards) that are actually 700-series.
I like my 990FX Sabertooth, even though I'm not using many of its features. A prime motivator for me was the five-year warranty, since I wanted a build that would last.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:38:50 AM

The 990FX chipset doesn't support PCIe 3.0?
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 6:41:17 AM

For your budget you want the Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 for your motherboard and an 8350 for the processor. Avoid the 95* amd processors, they are pretty much cherry picked 8350's that have been highly overclocked. Save the money, get an 8350 and overclock it yourself.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 138 À AMD
a c 226 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:42:51 AM

Here :

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NT0X
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NT0X/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NT0X/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($154.94 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($126.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $395.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-05 09:42 EST-0500)
Share
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:45:59 AM

I didn't know about this! Are there bandwidth problems or any issues associated with a non-native PCIe 3.0 slot?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:48:23 AM

Novuake said:
@minerva330. That board does not support the 9590FX. Nor do you want the 9590. THe 8350 is more than capable of matching the 9590 with a sligth overclock and A LOT less cooling required.

@Junit151. No... just no. For any sort of serious gaming, APUs are NOT a good idea. And there is PCI-e 3.0 AM3+ socket boards availabe.



I agree with the second part of your statement but how are the 9590 and the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX not compatible?
m
0
l
a c 138 À AMD
a c 226 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 6:57:35 AM

@Junit151. There is a slight penalty involved, yes. As in EXTREMELY small. Effectively causes microstuttering a little according to some tests.

@minerva330.
Simple. TDP limitations.
The FX 9590 has a massive TDP of 220W. To handle this boards would need to specifically accomodate it.
While it MAY work on most AM3+ boards, it will likely blow the board or throttle so hard that you may as well be running at 1.8Ghz.
You can check on Gigabytes site, the 9590 is not even on the list of supported CPUs. None of the FX 9xxx are supported by it.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 7:03:01 AM

Novuake said:
@Junit151. There is a slight penalty involved, yes. As in EXTREMELY small. Effectively causes microstuttering a little according to some tests.

@minerva330.
Simple. TDP limitations.
The FX 9590 has a massive TDP of 220W. To handle this boards would need to specifically accomodate it.
While it MAY work on most AM3+ boards, it will likely blow the board or throttle so hard that you may as well be running at 1.8Ghz.
You can check on Gigabytes site, the 9590 is not even on the list of supported CPUs. None of the FX 9xxx are supported by it.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-p...


Very informative, thank-you
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 143 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 7:09:17 AM

OP is in Ireland; PCPartpicker may not select relevant vendors.
The difference between PCIe 2.0 and 3.0 is not significant now, and probably won't be for years (if ever).
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a c 143 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 7:12:31 AM

Problems caused by ridiculously high TDPs and power usage, particularly if electricity is expensive in Ireland, may lend merit to the idea that an Intel CPU might be considered in this application. Just a thought; if this must be an AMD build, carry on; just checking for flexibility.
m
0
l
a c 138 À AMD
a c 226 à CPUs
February 5, 2014 11:11:55 AM

Onus said:
Problems caused by ridiculously high TDPs and power usage, particularly if electricity is expensive in Ireland, may lend merit to the idea that an Intel CPU might be considered in this application. Just a thought; if this must be an AMD build, carry on; just checking for flexibility.


Yeah European prices on AMD tend to be out of whack, so you may have a point, lets see what OP says.

South Africa get elecs from EU/UK.
6350FX :http://titan-ice.co.za/amd-fx-6350-am3-cpu.html
4670 : http://titan-ice.co.za/intel-core-i5-4570-cpu.html
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 11:22:20 AM

Give Apu's some time though, remember these are the first with hsa/huma, the igp hopefully wont be sitting idle even when paired with dgpu when some software that comes out uses it, am3+ is a dead socket most likely also if theres carrizo fxs' they'll be fm2+.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 2:21:07 PM

finding it tough to decide, should i wait a while longer? anything bigger/better coming out soon?

im using amazon uk and dabs.ie to get parts, a partpicker website for ireland would be good but we dont have that luxury!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2014 10:08:06 PM

videogamingtown said:
finding it tough to decide, should i wait a while longer? anything bigger/better coming out soon?

im using amazon uk and dabs.ie to get parts, a partpicker website for ireland would be good but we dont have that luxury!


Amazon UK is probably the cheapest it'll get since you're in Ireland :( 
m
0
l
!