Could the FX-8350 be causing my games not to run?

Malcolm Mal

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Hey all,

I recently built a new rig with the FX-8350 and a the Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0, with a GTX650TO SC, upgrading from a Phenom 955, installed and upgraded all drivers, service packs, running W7 SP1, 16g of Ripjaw 1600, and everything workd well except when I try and run most games! I get the "Application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error, and have uninstalled the updates, drivers, reinstalled, searched high and low for a solution, seeing all the C++ issues as welll as the DX issues, did all the repairs on those, but still get this error when I run a lot of games. reinstalled games like Crysis 3, NBA 2k14, Saints Row, and all give this error! I can play BF4 and 3, COD Ghosts, and COD MW3, and I did not have these issues with the 955, so i am wondering if it is the processor causing them not to run, or something else! I did a dependancy walker and it always shows the same things no matter what exe I put into it, so this seems useless, but I heard that this could be from 32bit DLL trying to use 64bit ones, but I cannot see how this can happen to some and not all! Any insight or help is appreciated, cuz I am getting frstarted and about to take the board and processor back and put my 955 back in!

Solution
uhh try opening a command prompt and then typing " chkdsk /f " and letting that run.
That error could be a registry error, and since the registry is on your hard drive.
don't mess with your computer while it's doing this though.

It sounds alot like it has something to do with the VB/C+/DirectX/.NET redistributables that you're missing (since the system is new, you really only have to install them once, and then you forget they exist)
Sometimes you need the old ones, because thats what the old games are looking for, the 2009 version instead of the 2012 version ect.

Malcolm Mal

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I did all of that, and about to do it one more time before I return these items! i find it incredible that there are no real solutions to this issue, and many are having it for different reasons, but this is too weird and baffling!

uhh try opening a command prompt and then typing " chkdsk /f " and letting that run.
That error could be a registry error, and since the registry is on your hard drive.
don't mess with your computer while it's doing this though.

It sounds alot like it has something to do with the VB/C+/DirectX/.NET redistributables that you're missing (since the system is new, you really only have to install them once, and then you forget they exist)
Sometimes you need the old ones, because thats what the old games are looking for, the 2009 version instead of the 2012 version ect.

Solution

Malcolm Mal

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
JM, did all of that as well, also did all the re-installs of C+/DX/ and ran CHKdsk /F as well! I am going to, even though its a PITA, reformat and try again, and see what happens tonite! Ugggh! I really don't want to have to return this processor...

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Try getting everything to as clean as a fresh install as possible. I know you feel like you have but I'm taking this a step further. Remove all drivers etc and do not install the gpu. Use the integrated graphics if possible. Once you are all setup. Shut down, install the 650 and see if the onboard drivers are enough, they probably won't be. Go into bios if you aren't seeing anything and default to onboard integrated graphics. Download the latest 650 driver and it should work. If this doesn't work you may be right but first I'm thinking the gpu is the problem and would like to get that clearly eliminated as a variable if it is not.
I realized that you don't have integrated as an option. Try the same thing with an old gpu if you have one available then.
The next thing I'd recommend is try making things work with your old cpu. If it doesn't there too (I know this a lot of work but what else will you do?) then it's likely the card and not your new cpu and or mobo. It could be a lot of things. Let's make sure it isn't the gpu first.
Also, are you running the games at all at lower settings or are you just getting this error with the games left at higher or closer to maxed out settings. I know that's not as fun but if it works then maybe it's just that your setup is strong enough to run certain games with certain settings. I'm guessing you tried that already too or don't want to bc you see it as pointless but you have to be methodical or you can drive yourself nuts. Hope something here helps! Let us know if you have more specific questions. Best of luck to you!

Thanks,

Justin S.

Malcolm Mal

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
No onboard GPU, but I have an old 260 GTX I can throw in, and I will downgrade the GPU drivers as well! The things you have mentioned I have either done or am planning on doing, and I am fixated on finding the issue here, and troubleshooting is not a problem to resolve this! I was also thinking it was a clash between my MD and GPU, but the GPU worked fine on the last board. I did do a driver clean via Windows refresh install, and that did not do any good, so i did all the drivers again, but I am going to take the GPU out and try again after I get a hold of some 64bit .dll files for the syswow folder!