r9 270 boot problems and more please help!

jbowler13

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
first let me give my system specs.
window 7 pro 64 bit
asus m4a78t-E mb
phenom ii x4 970
6 gigs ram across 3 dim
corsair hx1000 psu
xfx r9 270 (card in questions)
msi 78000 gtx (old card and test equipment)
maxtor 300gig hd
and wd raptor 78 gig for system

problem is that if i use both 6 pin conectors from my psu on the r9 it wont show the splash screen or anything
if i unplug "6 pin plugb A" and replace it with the 6 pin to molex adapter that came with the card it will work and turn on and everything seems to boot up...
if i swap "6 pin A" for "6 pin B" while the molex adapter is still in there the splash wont come up
so far
6A + 6B = no splash
6A + molex to 6pin = boot
6B + Molex to 6 pin = no splash

so one would think that '6 pin B' is bad. but i put in my old video card along with the new r9 270 and tested the power going to it at the solder joints on the card and am getting consistent 11.98 v across the board

what is going on here? im kinda tech savy but not the greatest with computers so bare with me lol..

ok and the next problem im having is when i have the r9 installed by itself and working i cant either of the two games i have to launch battlefield 3 direct download from origin and one of the free games i got with the card duec ex

when trying to run battlefield 3 i get the following error

failed creating d3d device of at least version 10.0 on adapter "amd radeon r9 200 series" with driver "unknown".error is DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED ("unsupported)

it says its cause by not having the minimum required dirext x support in the gpu but the rp supports direcx t 11.1?

also in dxdiag it says that i have direct x 11 installed

in the othger game im getting a much shorter error but that one says that the card isnt compatable with direct x 9.0

someone help me thanks!!!

Solution
check for a bios update for the motherboard. sometimes the older boards have issues with pci ex 3.0 boards and need a bios update to fix this

edit: install the latest graphics drivers from amd.com instead of the ones that came with the card
check for a bios update for the motherboard. sometimes the older boards have issues with pci ex 3.0 boards and need a bios update to fix this

edit: install the latest graphics drivers from amd.com instead of the ones that came with the card

Solution

jbowler13

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

i just updated to the newest version per the asus website
BIOS: BIOS Date 04/136/11 ver 08.00.15

ah ok let me try to use those drivers

and sometimes you need to uninstall the old geforce drivers before the new ones work properly

jbowler13

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

ok installing the new drivers made the game work. its actually working with the old video card in place as well. whats do you think about the original powering problem i was having? or should i just run it the way its hooked up? also one more question someone monetioned to me that i could use my old card for physics? how do you do something like this if it is possible/worth the time

it's a bit tricky and you probably won't see much of a gain:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-physx-hack-amd-radeon,2764.html

edit: for the powering - if it works... don't fix it :D there would be no problems with running with a molex to 6 pin. as to why the normal adapter didn't work... maybe slightly tilted pins on the B adapter? and only the geforce card gets a proper connection? or the psu has enough headroom left on the rail for the molex but not enough on the 6pin output?

in either case, if it works with molex there's no reason to change anything.