Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

msi 760gm-p23 and gtx 650 ti boost sc / FX AMD

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 6, 2014 2:55:46 AM

I'm running both of these in my current pc, IF I change my "AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)"
too a 6300FX AMD will I see a huge difference in performance? I play alot of games with my pc, which is it's main use. I play Graphic intense games and things like Tera/ LoL/ Dota/ skyrim/ farcry3/ GW2/ Bioshock inf/ Borderlands2/ WoW/ SMITE/ CoD Ghosts and plenty more.

Alot of games, I've NEVER had an issue with any game I wanted to play. Until recently, I Just started to play Tera, and from my understand the game it's self has issues "Rendering" char models, sometimes when I enter said town, I see players who're "Grey" which I believe that means are still loading. I've spoken to many players and they've said they have similar issues and it's a "Tera problem" not so much a "ur pc sux" type thing. It's the ONLY game this has ever happened to me.

But yeah, PLEASE help me if you can, I'm not the best when it comes to pcs, but I understand the jist of most things.

Oh I forgot to mention, I use a 530watt PSU, hopefully I wont need a bigger psu for the new 6300FX AMD?

Oh and.. is MS-7641, short for Msi 760GM-P23?
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2014 3:31:23 AM

Depends on the game. Slightly better to significantly better. Skyrim is about 7fps better with 6300. With a decent o/c you would get more.

The 6300 uses approximately 10 watts more under load (average system load only- 146w) and approximately 1 watt more at idle (average system load - 72w). Vishera is more power efficient also. So your PSU is obviously ok. Hope that helps.

Apparently 7641 is the same.

I have very little experience in recent AMD cpu's (xp 3200 was the last one i owned). Just based on research i did for a
friend recently who was looking at a similar upgrade.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:41:17 AM

Gee Bee said:
Depends on the game. Slightly better to significantly better. Skyrim is about 7fps better with 6300. With a decent o/c you would get more. The 6300 uses approximately 10 watts more under load and approximately 1 watt more at idle, so your PSU is obviously ok. Hope that helps.


ah alright, I ended up buying my first gaming rig, and them upgraded it. It was supposed to be a 4300 FX AMD, but what it came with is 4130 thats what my system info says..:\ its okay tho, oh and tyvm for the reply 7fps is better then 0 fps increase. Any suggestions on tera perhaps? Thats currently my main worry.

And ty for solving my question about the PSU, watts always confuse me lol
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2014 4:14:00 AM

Not a clue on Tera. I really only play FPS + Arma 3 these days.
I updated the first post to be more specific.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 4:22:55 AM

Gee Bee said:
Not a clue on Tera. I really only play FPS + Arma 3 these days.
I updated the first post to be more specific.


Well darn, hopefully someone will have some info on tera, thats mainly what I wanna play atm, and tyvm for clearing up the 7641, the whole box "Msi 760GM-P23" came with my desktop, but I wasnt 100% sure why it then said "MS-7641" in my system information, so I'm VERY GLAD they're the same, 7641, seems to just be the "shorter" name for the Motherboard.

Also, you said you're interested in FPS, I can only play CoD Ghosts with this "Current" setup, which is fine, but I'd like to try out Bf4 but I can't play it..? The way I found that out, is it by using "Canmypcrunit.com" idk how accurate it is, but according to that my "current" pc setup cannot handle it, when I upgrade to 6300FX AMD, would I be able to?

Anyways, IF ANYONE has info on tera and what this upgrade will do for it, PLEASE assit. !
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2014 10:35:36 PM

Based on what read of others with very similar specs you will have no issues with BF4.
Also Tera apparently favors intel cpu's, even i3 over AMD options. Those on Tera forums that did go AMD recommended 8320 over 6300 so i'm none the wiser. The good news is the engine that runs Tera favors Nvidia GPU optimization.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 10:44:02 PM

Gee Bee said:
Based on what read of others with very similar specs you will have no issues with BF4.
Also Tera apparently favors intel cpu's, even i3 over AMD options. Those on Tera forums that did go AMD recommended 8320 over 6300 so i'm none the wiser. The good news is the engine that runs Tera favors Nvidia GPU optimization.


Oh awesome, Can't wait to start playing bf4 then. Figured it rq'ed some very good pcs to play.
Anyways, whats so good about Tera favoing Nvidia GPU? What does that mean exactly? And I would assume I cannot make my pc an i3 or a 8320, without changing my motherboard or adding in more upgrades?
Oh and does an intel i3 not compare to a 6300FX AMD / 8320FX AMD?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2014 11:14:04 PM

Correct on one count, you can't turn an amd mobo into an intel option. The 8320 according to msi can be used on your board with a bios update. However, i would just take the 6300 option as the fact that Tera runs well on I3 dual core will make very little difference to what AMD cpu you go with.,With regards to gaming at least. As this points to almost exclusively the single threaded performance of that CPU. There will be other game titles that can take advantage of 6300 offerings. Also your Tera performance currently is not terrible by their standards and most would expect an improvement from Zambezi to Vishera, if only in power efficiency. The 650ti is not likely to bottleneck and both your current cpu and 6300 have a 95w TDP. All things considered including cost i would IMO take the 6300 upgrade. i'll leave it with you, as that's about all the info i can offer. Good luck.

Oh i forgot to answer your Nvidia query: the 'Unreal engine 3' of Tera apparently favors Nvidia optimization according to most users. I.E it will run better on your 650ti.
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 12:21:01 AM

Gee Bee said:
Correct on one count, you can't turn an amd mobo into an intel option. The 8320 according to msi can be used on your board with a bios update. However, i would just take the 6300 option as the fact that Tera runs well on I3 dual core will make very little difference to what AMD cpu you go with.,With regards to gaming at least. As this points to almost exclusively the single threaded performance of that CPU. There will be other game titles that can take advantage of 6300 offerings. Also your Tera performance currently is not terrible by their standards and most would expect an improvement from Zambezi to Vishera, if only in power efficiency. The 650ti is not likely to bottleneck and both your current cpu and 6300 have a 95w TDP. All things considered including cost i would IMO take the 6300 upgrade. i'll leave it with you, as that's about all the info i can offer. Good luck.

Oh i forgot to answer your Nvidia query: the 'Unreal engine 3' of Tera apparently favors Nvidia optimization according to most users. I.E it will run better on your 650ti.


Whelp, thansk so much for all the help. I think I quite understand now, and I will be getting the 6300FX AMD, you've been very helpful with all the info and fast replys. :) 

Now, I will put putting together a pc for my wife, so she can game with me. I wil have to upgrade the gcard and possibly the psu in the future (500watts) but deff the gcard

This is the current gcard, in the rig XFX Core Edition FX-785A-CNL4 Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

How would that fair in the long run? DOES IT need an upgrade ASAP? Or is it able to handle bf4 / Gw2 / tera/ those are just some of the demanding games I can think of atm. The way I normally find this it out by using Gamedebate or canmypcrunit but I dont feel its 100% trustworthy.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2014 1:11:23 AM

Well actually the 7850 is typically better than your 650ti boost. I don't know what cpu is in wife's rig but she will have no problem with GPU or PSU for that matter either. Again CPU, system ram is what maybe the difference. If the rest of system specs are on pa her PC may well be better than yours. As for longevity, as long as you don't expect to game at very high settings you/she will be fine. I used 5870 for several years as it played every game that came out (not at very high/ultra settings). Last year i upgraded. Hope this don't confuse things but the 7850 is a very good card for general gaming.
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 1:55:06 AM

Gee Bee said:
Well actually the 7850 is typically better than your 650ti boost. I don't know what cpu is in wife's rig but she will have no problem with GPU or PSU for that matter either. Again CPU, system ram is what maybe the difference. If the rest of system specs are on pa her PC may well be better than yours. As for longevity, as long as you don't expect to game at very high settings you/she will be fine. I used 5870 for several years as it played every game that came out (not at very high/ultra settings). Last year i upgraded. Hope this don't confuse things but the 7850 is a very good card for general gaming.


lol awesome, then I just get to upgrade my gcard somemore. The pc I'm looking at for her is going to be either Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P (Model:BX80637i53350P) OR AMD 6300FX, samething I'm upgrading mine to. I've been told by the forums on here that they both are of pretty make the same performance, would you say the samething? Depending on which hers will be, they both will be using 8GB ram

Along with my CURRENT pc, I'm using a msi 760gm-p23 for my motherboard, without swapping for a new board, what is the best CPU it can handle, that you can suggest to me?

Thanks for being so helpful btw, I've asked countless questions lol :\
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2014 2:43:42 AM

In general i would agree about similar performance. However, in many games I5 is streets ahead. That is why most Tera gamers promote even a lowly I3 over a 6300. Why not a 3570k if your going I5. The K means unlocked multiplier and you can thus OC. My 3570K is running @ 4.5 ghz. I would give the wife your rig and claim hers LOL. Though i would settle for 3350p over 6300 any day. Also you could get a Haswell 4570k for slightly better performance (non gaming), especially given the ivy bridge is now a dead socket and the intel z87 is better than z77 in several respects. 3570K does have better thermal qualities for OC though. Choices hah...
Again good luck... but you won't need nearly as much luck no matter which I5 you get.

m
0
l
February 7, 2014 2:56:47 AM

Gee Bee said:
In general i would agree about similar performance. However, in many games I5 is streets ahead. That is why most Tera gamers promote even a lowly I3 over a 6300. Why not a 3570k if your going I5. The K means unlocked multiplier and you can thus OC. My 3570K is running @ 4.5 ghz. I would give the wife your rig and claim hers LOL. Though i would settle for 3350p over 6300 any day. Also you could get a Haswell 4570k for slightly better performance (non gaming), especially given the ivy bridge is now a dead socket and the intel z87 is better than z77 in several respects. 3570K does have better thermal qualities for OC though. Choices hah...
Again good luck... but you won't need nearly as much luck no matter which I5 you get.



Lol, yeah I'd love to use i5, but i5 isn't ever needed typically for anything I wanna play. I wouldnt need to upgrade for a while thats a plus though. Sadly enough she will probably get an i5 while I wont lol (for now)

This shall be my last question, then I'm pretty much sure on what to do. This is directed at my rig, Along with my CURRENT pc, I'm using a msi 760gm-p23 for my motherboard, without swapping for a new board, what is the best CPU it can handle, that you can suggest to me? I'm very confused on this bc of my current CPU is a 95watt, while the 6300 is also 95watt, but if I look at the 8350 its 125watt, can my motherboard not handle that? And if so, is it WAY better then 6300? Can it compare to the i5, per say be better? Considering the i5/6300 are pretty much on par.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2014 9:21:41 AM

The 8350 is not listed as supported on 760gm-p23 according to MSI. In gaming the difference would be small as to take advantage of that many cores whether it be six or eight. Both are Vishera, although the 8350 is clocked significantly higher and would be the only advantage i can see if your board was capable of running it. Just oc 6300 for similar gaming results. It would i believe compare to I5 in a broad gaming sense but no more than 6300 would.
Hope that helps.
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 3:08:47 PM

Gee Bee said:
The 8350 is not listed as supported on 760gm-p23 according to MSI. In gaming the difference would be small as to take advantage of that many cores whether it be six or eight. Both are Vishera, although the 8350 is clocked significantly higher and would be the only advantage i can see if your board was capable of running it. Just oc 6300 for similar gaming results. It would i believe compare to I5 in a broad gaming sense but no more than 6300 would.
Hope that helps.


Awesome, then I'll do just that. 6300FX it is. Are their any places I can/should look at for oc'ing it? I dont wanna oc it to high, but I wanna get the best I can outta it. I don't believe I've ever bothered with oc cpu b4. My board can handle it being oc'ed? o.o Should I simply utube how to do it? lol
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 7, 2014 9:54:04 PM

yes your board supports oc. The correct way is to manually change certain values in the bios. However, you could use MSI's auto oc genie software as you don't require a huge oc. Just 400-500 mhz and can be done in the click of mouse. If you want to learn the proper way through bios just google 6300FX or Vishera overclocking guide. Good luck and great gaming.

You could even start now on your current zambezi cpu. To see how much difference there is your game titles. Some will benefit significantly.
Share
!