R9 290 + CPU AIO Cooler -> Help?

icehawk_1995

Honorable
Oct 26, 2013
While I understand that NZXT's awesome G10 bracket will make everything hassle-free, its availability outside of the US is next to nil and I simply won't pay 30+USD in shipping for a 30USD item; I've grown tired of my reference 290's noise and even crashes when playing more demanding games from the temperatures, so I'm planning to make a homemade bracket for it (zipties, if it comes to that). #Desperate

- Is there anything I should be careful of when shopping for AIO CPU coolers that fit the bill? I've heard of earlier 7900 series AMDs have the heatsink contact area sunken beneath its surrounding components, making CPU cooler mods not easily possible.

- If I can't find the tiny VRM heatsinks for sale at local shops (haven't tried though), would it help to just find a suitably sized metal block to paste on like one would with the heatsinks? (I don't plan to significantly overclock the card/memory, so I'm not trying to break world records with the VRMs)

- The top of the R9 290 (which in the reference design, is completely bare) is giving off a considerable amount of heat, and the bareness makes me paranoid (WHAT IF A TOP FAN SCREW FELL ONTO MY GPU, ERMAGERD).
What are the pros and cons if I looked for a suitably sized metal plate to put above the bare circuit board (like some non-reference designs have been doing) -- separated by non-conductive washers or even thin foam slices, of course.

And lastly,

- Are there any tips for how to best secure an AIO cooler onto a GPU, custom style? I see that most GPUs now have various mechanisms to keep constant additional pressure between the cooling unit and the GPU contacts, how can I most effectively do that without sophisticated materials and machines?

Any help on any topic greatly appreciated... Reference R9 290/Xs are such a pain in the arse in terms of cooling. (Late advice: don't get them reference unless noise and temperatures mean nothing to you.)

Thanks!