I am building my first rig my parts are almost done trickling in. Its a daytrading setup, I have 2 graphics cards and six monitors. I wanted to post my installation process and double check with the forum pros regarding my steps to make sure they are correct. Below is a list of my parts.
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper
Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus LGA1150
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GTX650Ti 2GB 128 bit (Quantity 2)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 750W 80+ Gold Certified Optical Drive:
Asus DVD-E818AAT/BLK/B/GEN DVD/CD Drive
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit)
1. Update Asus Z87 Plus bios (manufacture recommended) download latest bios via USB plug mob into power supply, plug USB in and hold down BIOS flash back button for 3 seconds, wait till light goes out.
2. Unplug power and assemble computer. a. GPU’s installed PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16_1 & PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16_2 correct slots??
3. Install Windows 8.1 and go through all updates.
4. Navigate to InVidia download latest drivers
5. Configure six screens (I will google how to do that or ask you guys) and I’m done….?
i personally prefer to download the latest from intel or nvidia (chip manufacturers) instead of the board manufacturer (asus) but others prefer to wait for the updates from asus. usually it takes longer for asus since they need to check/verify more boards based on the same chip to release the newer drivers compared to intel/nvidia. same for the audio driver and the network - but for these it's safe enough to just get the latest driver available on the windows updates.