Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which build will be better for gaming/is more future proof?

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2014 8:35:26 AM

Which build will be more future proof?
Which will be better at gaming currently/in the future?
Any changes to make either of them better, while remaining within budget (£700-£750?)

Build 1 (will add a cooler at some point in the future)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£161.99 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£100.64 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.43 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.43 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card (£223.66 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case (£55.56 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £703.99

Build 2
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor (£107.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.18 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£69.59 @ Aria PC)
Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£58.43 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£42.43 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB Video Card (£347.15 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£38.65 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£48.78 @ Scan.co.uk)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.50 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £750.70

Will be primarily playing BF4, SimCity, and other games.
a c 899 à CPUs
a c 293 4 Gaming
a c 1163 V Motherboard
a c 1410 U Graphics card
February 6, 2014 8:39:14 AM

The second build for gaming because of the better GPU but if it is for single monitor at 1080P I would still go with the first build since overall better rig.
m
0
l
a c 229 à CPUs
a c 230 4 Gaming
a c 221 V Motherboard
a c 232 U Graphics card
February 6, 2014 8:40:29 AM

I generally can't make a case for an AMD based gaming build above a system cost of $800 USD
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 108 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a c 90 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2014 8:42:58 AM

build 2 and add another radeon 290 next Christmas
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2014 8:47:36 AM

The oc'd fx 8320's 8 core cpus will be pretty much equall to 4670k's four cores in the future with well optimised games.
But still right now 4670k beats the 8320 in almost every game. But it's not the cpu I would judge here as 8320 is good enough, but I would consider the gpu.
So the second build with fx 8320 and r9 290 will be noticeably better than the first one with 4670k and r9 280x.
I know that there might be few people who will say to get the first build, just because of the name "Intel". I don't completely disagree with them as intel has proven itself from time to time. But this is the time where you will better better performance with amd build.
So again, the second build will be better choice.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 8:51:31 AM

I'm not a tech expert by any means but I'd go for the i5 system seeing as its probably a better cpu requiring less power probably. Saying that I'd go for a better psu (more than 600w) for something like an XFX which are made by Seasonic and will last longer in the long run and allow you to add more stuff in future. Also the hard disk is cheaper if you buy it from Amazon rather than CCL. It's currently 43.99 inc free del. I bought it last year from Amazon at the same price and was worried they would ship it thrashing around in a box BUT it wasn't thank heavens. CCL are good too, look on ebay as sometimes the components are cheaper than on the website.

Also isn't 4gb memory for a graphics card a gimmick? I'd go for a Nvidia card anyway, much better drivers so I've heard.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 1:37:44 PM

rolli59 said:
The second build for gaming because of the better GPU but if it is for single monitor at 1080P I would still go with the first build since overall better rig.


Well it will be primarily for gaming, but also the usual word processing, photoshop, etc.

JackNaylorPE said:
I generally can't make a case for an AMD based gaming build above a system cost of $800 USD


Not particularly helpful.

laviniuc said:
build 2 and add another radeon 290 next Christmas


Noted.

St0rm_KILL3r said:
The oc'd fx 8320's 8 core cpus will be pretty much equall to 4670k's four cores in the future with well optimised games.
But still right now 4670k beats the 8320 in almost every game. But it's not the cpu I would judge here as 8320 is good enough, but I would consider the gpu.
So the second build with fx 8320 and r9 290 will be noticeably better than the first one with 4670k and r9 280x.
I know that there might be few people who will say to get the first build, just because of the name "Intel". I don't completely disagree with them as intel has proven itself from time to time. But this is the time where you will better better performance with amd build.
So again, the second build will be better choice.


Thanks for this response, very helpful. In all honesty, GPUs are what really make the difference in games anyways, not CPUs.

GarethA said:
I'm not a tech expert by any means but I'd go for the i5 system seeing as its probably a better cpu requiring less power probably. Saying that I'd go for a better psu (more than 600w) for something like an XFX which are made by Seasonic and will last longer in the long run and allow you to add more stuff in future. Also the hard disk is cheaper if you buy it from Amazon rather than CCL. It's currently 43.99 inc free del. I bought it last year from Amazon at the same price and was worried they would ship it thrashing around in a box BUT it wasn't thank heavens. CCL are good too, look on ebay as sometimes the components are cheaper than on the website.

Also isn't 4gb memory for a graphics card a gimmick? I'd go for a Nvidia card anyway, much better drivers so I've heard.


Yeah, I may need a better PSU for the second build, first is fine.

It is to an extent, only useful for higher resolutions, but the 290 shits on Nvidia cards of the same price.
m
0
l
a c 899 à CPUs
a c 293 4 Gaming
a c 1163 V Motherboard
a c 1410 U Graphics card
February 6, 2014 3:20:36 PM

Yes overclocked FX8320 will be almost equal to a std 4670K which will overclock as well and out of reach for the FX.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:39:29 PM

Deleted.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2014 6:00:30 AM

d0t1 said:
Deleted.


You can oc fx 8320 around 4.4ghz even with a cm 212evo. I would still say the second build will have overall better performance in gaming than the first one.
Share
!