Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building my first gaming computer need some help!

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 6, 2014 11:36:16 AM

So I am currently looking to build my first gaming computer and kinda need some feedback from some people who have done it before and know their computer parts. I am in the $700-$800 price range and have heard i can build a pretty stellar machine for that amount. I have a mock up of what I have built so far and it came to $820. This is the link to my build.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Respire T40 68.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($73.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS/I Snow Edition (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $794.89

Please take a look at it and let me know what you think and if their is any way I could lower the price or get better hardware for cheaper please let me know. Thanks guys!

Best solution

a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 12:05:01 PM

This will max everything out at 1080p, the 560 Ti isn't very good, especially for that price. Here's what I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.48 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($71.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $797.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 15:04 EST-0500)
Share
February 6, 2014 12:13:40 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
This will max everything out at 1080p, the 560 Ti isn't very good, especially for that price. Here's what I put together:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($114.48 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($71.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $797.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 15:04 EST-0500)

Thanks for the input! So is there a big difference between the i5 and the AMD you suggested? Or is that just a preference thing? Ive heard to stay towards Intel but what I dont know personally. And is it possible to find maybe a cheaper Case? Or will a cheaper one not fit that properly?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 12:20:11 PM

Intel is better in single-thread applications, but for gaming you won't see a difference worth the extra money at budgets like this. And you can find a cheaper case, I just like the Shinobi because it's a good price, and gets you a sleek case with a window as well. Any regular ATX case will work for you though.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 12:32:21 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Intel is better in single-thread applications, but for gaming you won't see a difference worth the extra money at budgets like this. And you can find a cheaper case, I just like the Shinobi because it's a good price, and gets you a sleek case with a window as well. Any regular ATX case will work for you though.

Ok Thanks a lot. Just another question I plan on only playing MMO's on it such as DayZ WoW GW2 and Elder Scrolls Online. As well as open world games like Skyrim. Would this set up give me max settings at a constant good fps? And would it be upgradeable in the future if I wanted to without having to replace a part because i replaced something else? Thanks again!
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 12:40:03 PM

My 760 can push DayZ at max at 1080p about 45-55 fps constant, and Skyrim at much more lol This would be plenty upgradeable as well :) 
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 12:47:17 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
My 760 can push DayZ at max at 1080p about 45-55 fps constant, and Skyrim at much more lol This would be plenty upgradeable as well :) 

Oh wow thats good. Also I will be looking for a monitor. Any suggestions? Yeah I know it wont be in the said budget but its whatever.
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 12:55:35 PM

A good 1080p monitor would be fine. You can get a 22" BenQ (Great grand) for about $100 right now. Depends what you'd be looking to spend on one.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 4:32:04 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
A good 1080p monitor would be fine. You can get a 22" BenQ (Great grand) for about $100 right now. Depends what you'd be looking to spend on one.

Just out of curiosity what if my top end budget was $700 what kind of PC would you build keeping in mind the games i will be playing? Thinking now i want to leave that $100 for a monitor. :) 
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 4:39:24 PM

The 270X is just a little less powerful than the 760, but very close. Maybe a 5% difference in performance or so, but in games with Mantle (like BF4), it will perform equivalent if not better. Definitely great for the budget! I included the monitor as well :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($102.59 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($210.19 @ NCIX US)
Case: Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $791.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 19:39 EST-0500)
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 4:49:12 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
The 270X is just a little less powerful than the 760, but very close. Maybe a 5% difference in performance or so, but in games with Mantle (like BF4), it will perform equivalent if not better. Definitely great for the budget! I included the monitor as well :) 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($102.59 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.94 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Video Card ($210.19 @ NCIX US)
Case: Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $791.63
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-06 19:39 EST-0500)

Wow thanks man! How often would I have to upgrade this set up? Like what would need to be upgraded first and how long would it last in the current set up? I'm obviously really new to this whole building a PC so i have no clue. Thanks for the quick answers bro.
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 6, 2014 6:14:10 PM

Maybe the CPU. Good thing about that though, is it would already support the 8320/8350 which would be a nice upgrade in the future, but games are just now starting to use 4 cores, so you should be good for awhile :)  If you stay at 1080p, the 270x will be a good card for at least a couple/few years.
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 5:22:30 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Maybe the CPU. Good thing about that though, is it would already support the 8320/8350 which would be a nice upgrade in the future, but games are just now starting to use 4 cores, so you should be good for awhile :)  If you stay at 1080p, the 270x will be a good card for at least a couple/few years.


I have a question about the power supply. What if i swap out the XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply for the Corsair 500W ATX12V? It's $20 cheaper but 50 less watts. Will that be ok? Im planning on going with the first build you showed me. All I did was change cases and power supply. And my gf is in college so hoping she can pick up windows 7 for cheap. The one i marked as the solution. Here is my current build off of what you suggested.
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core $114.48
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing $29.98
Motherboard Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ $64.99
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $79.99
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.66
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB $249.99
Case NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower $33.39
Power Supply Corsair 500W ATX12V $29.99
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $15.99
Total: $678.46
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 12, 2014 8:06:16 AM

Don't skimp on the PSU. 500w is plenty of power, but the CX isn't as high of quality. The PSU is the most important part of the PC. The CX500 will do ok, but if you can push the extra $20, I would highly recommend it.

Other than that, looks like a great build :)  will definitely be happy with it!
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 1:40:42 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Don't skimp on the PSU. 500w is plenty of power, but the CX isn't as high of quality. The PSU is the most important part of the PC. The CX500 will do ok, but if you can push the extra $20, I would highly recommend it.

Other than that, looks like a great build :)  will definitely be happy with it!

OK! I took your word and ordered the better PSU. Everything has shipped and should be here by the end of next week! Just in time for the weekend to build it! Super excited. Thanks for all the info. Appreciate it. Here is my final build.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TfL9
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TfL9/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TfL9/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.58 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Gamma Classic (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($55.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: BenQ GW2255 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($104.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $900.44
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 15, 2014 12:38:06 PM

Awesome! Gonna be an awesome build man. Let me know how it all goes!
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 1:27:23 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Awesome! Gonna be an awesome build man. Let me know how it all goes!


Thanks i def will! And thanks for all your help much appreciated!
m
0
l
February 21, 2014 9:49:17 PM

HiTechObsessed said:
Awesome! Gonna be an awesome build man. Let me know how it all goes!


Hey dude!! Just thought id give you a follow up! Im on my new rig right now and honestly all I can say is holy shit! This thing is beast mode. Running at 53 Celsius when playing gw2 at max settings keeping a constant 60 fps and 30 Celsius when idle. This thing is great and thanks for all your help. I built it in about 3 hours and not one hiccup besides it saying cpu fan error which all I had to do was turn off cpu fan monitoring cause I have the aftermarket in. Loving it. Let me know some programs i should install or whatever. Thanks!
m
0
l
a c 247 4 Gaming
February 22, 2014 3:15:50 PM

Awesome, that's always good to hear! Some good ones to download utility-wise would be piriform Speccy, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Fraps, and Heaven Benchmark. Speccy is my favorite to use for finding info, as it compiles like everything and shows temps for everything in its summary.
m
0
l
!