Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Intellipower vs 7200 rpm

Last response: in Components
Share
February 6, 2014 1:28:38 PM

I found out today that my drive is an Intellipower drive (my bad for not checking this beforehand). My build was only ever intended to have 1 Hard Drive so would it being an Intellipower destroy my computer or will I be fine?

I've noticed no performance problems (unless Windows reporting it's not shutting down properly is caused by this) apart from it's a bit slower after Windows Updates

I was thinking I could get another 2TB drive, make that my main drive and relegate the WD Green to backup, but then how would I move Windows 8.1 to the new drive?

Will I really see any performance change? Of the game/demos I've played, only one has sort of slow loads (but it's slow for everyone and has man other problems because of bad coding)

More about : intellipower 7200 rpm

February 6, 2014 1:32:54 PM

you won't see much of a performance change, maybe 5-10% difference in load/file transfer times.

What do you mean by 'destroy my computer'?
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 1:35:14 PM

13thmonkey said:
you won't see much of a performance change, maybe 5-10% difference in load/file transfer times.

What do you mean by 'destroy my computer'?


I mean ruin it performance and speed wise. I was just over dramatic in my OP
m
0
l
Related resources
February 6, 2014 1:37:00 PM

If you want to speed it up, a better way would be to buy a SSD for the OS and programs, and put data (and possibly your Steam folder) on the Green drive.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 1:38:57 PM

if the rest of your system is high end then yes you'll notice it is a weakness, if the rest of your system is 'normal' then you'll be fine. Judging by the single hdd comment i'm assuming the latter.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:01:28 PM

The rest of the build is 16GB 1600 MHz, Geforce 760 2GB, 16x Blu Ray Drive, WiFi 802.11n, Intel i5 @3.2GHz 4560 and a 600 W modular PSU.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:29:55 PM

13thmonkey said:
if the rest of your system is high end then yes you'll notice it is a weakness, if the rest of your system is 'normal' then you'll be fine. Judging by the single hdd comment i'm assuming the latter.


How would I move my Windows 8 install if I got another drive?

m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:33:54 PM

Reduce the amount of data on the drive to less than the total usable on the SSD (e.g. 111GB for a 120GB drive and 238GB for a 256GB drive) and then clone the drive. I have done this several times with Acronis True Image.

m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:38:58 PM

Onus said:
If you want to speed it up, a better way would be to buy a SSD for the OS and programs, and put data (and possibly your Steam folder) on the Green drive.


What if the two drives are exactly the same capacity (2TB) and mechanical (pound per gig, SSD doesn't seem as appealing an option, plus capacities aren't quite high enough yet, but they're not ruled out completely). Woul I be able to move the Windows 8 install and my current programs to the faster mechanical drive, put all game installs there and used my existing drive for either back up or additional storage for documents and movies?
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:46:14 PM

Yes, you could clone to your faster drive.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:48:35 PM

Onus said:
Yes, you could clone to your faster drive.


Using that acronis tool? Also, when I installed 8.1 I had to switch my bios from UEFI to Legacy so it would install. Can I change it back to UEFI without breaking Windows?
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:50:44 PM

Acronis will work for the cloning. I am not sure about your UEFI question, although I thought Windows 8.x should work with UEFI. Someone with more experience with Windows 8 and/or your motherboard will need to answer.
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 2:54:29 PM

Onus said:
Acronis will work for the cloning. I am not sure about your UEFI question, although I thought Windows 8.x should work with UEFI. Someone with more experience with Windows 8 and/or your motherboard will need to answer.


I know there is a way to get it to work with UEFI, but it involved some setup work involving formatting drives and changing how they were set up etc... and I got impatient and wanted my build working (been 4 days since I started building!) so I went the easy way and set my bios to legacy
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:18:24 PM

I've been reading that 7 can reinstall to the same machine multiple times, I don't know how true that is for 8 though
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:26:29 PM

If the only thing you're doing is changing the hard drive you dont have to reinstall windows, cloning it with Acronis True Image would be the easiest, it's basically as simple as pressing a few buttons (assuming you only have 2 hard drives) and waiting about 30 minutes for it clone the drive (maybe longer if you have a 1TB of actual data on there, acronis wont copy the unused data part of the HDD).

And/Or you can get a 10k RPM drive to install your OS and games and programs on, and the put the data/pictures/media on the intellipower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Are you using a mini-itx case or something and that's preventing you from having multiple drives?
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:50:51 PM

James Mason said:
If the only thing you're doing is changing the hard drive you dont have to reinstall windows, cloning it with Acronis True Image would be the easiest, it's basically as simple as pressing a few buttons (assuming you only have 2 hard drives) and waiting about 30 minutes for it clone the drive (maybe longer if you have a 1TB of actual data on there, acronis wont copy the unused data part of the HDD).

And/Or you can get a 10k RPM drive to install your OS and games and programs on, and the put the data/pictures/media on the intellipower.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Are you using a mini-itx case or something and that's preventing you from having multiple drives?


It's a mid tower ATX case with support for about 7 drives (5 x 3.5" and I think 2 x 2.5"). The figures are something like that. I was going to keep the existing drive in there and effectively just add another and transfer my stuff over (including the OS)
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 3:56:49 PM

I don't know if this changes anything, but I have the Windows 8 install disc together with product key, as for Office 2010, I have product key and the actual program was downloaded
m
0
l
February 6, 2014 4:19:09 PM

So if I used Western Digital's Acronis download link, then could I copy everything (including MS Office 2010) to a new internal drive and clear the existing one (the WD Green) making the new one my primary drive? What WD Digital drive do you recommend? It needs about 2TB cause that's where all games will be
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 5:41:30 AM

I bit the bullet and got a Black. Now if I copy my existing drive using acronis would it make the black think it's a green and the green think it's a green and the computer would think it has two greens or would the black still think it's a black like it should and then the computer will see I have a black and a green?
m
0
l

Best solution

February 7, 2014 5:44:02 AM

The drives will perform according to their specifications; the Black is not going to slow down. Your PC will also continue to know what type of drive it is.
Share
February 7, 2014 5:53:11 AM

So in BIOS and windows it would still identify as a black? Would it be better to use my install disc to install on the black and then format the green somehow and reinstall all my stuff on the black? Or is cloning the best way to go since acronis clears the old drive out
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 5:57:28 AM

Acronis does not clear the old drive out. Once you decide that the clone is working, you can reformat the original drive for whatever purpose you like.
m
0
l
February 7, 2014 7:50:34 AM

Onus said:
Acronis does not clear the old drive out. Once you decide that the clone is working, you can reformat the original drive for whatever purpose you like.


Well, there is an option in Acronis to delete/format the old drive after you clone it, but it's not recommended until you're sure the new drive is working.
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 9:20:39 AM

I didn't find that option, but I didn't look that hard, used Windows 8.1 Disc Manager. Any idea why MBAM is going mental after the drive was put in
m
0
l
!