2400 ram on 1866 mobo

Haenastus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
My motherboard's specs say it only goes up to 1866 but my ram has a clocked speed of 2400, will this cause any incompatibilities such as BSOD? also it runs it only at 1600 MHz instead of 1866 how do i change that? also is there any way to get the full potential from my ram?

Haenastus

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
z87 sabertooth so setting xmp is easy, but even with xmp set it sets the target speed at 2400 and it runs it at 1600, should i set the target speed at 1866? its funny that it would set the target speed higher than what it can handle.

The memory controller is integrated into the CPU.
Socket 1150 CPUs (e.g. Intel Core i7 4670K) support DDR3-1333 or DDR3-1600.
To run your memory at more than DDR3-1600 speed, you need to overclock the memory controller in the CPU.
If you are not otherwise overclocking your CPU, I would recommend against this.

Two memory channels with DDR3-1600 RAM gives you 25.6GB/s memory bandwidth.
This is more than enough.
Only the most memory intensive applications would get any benefit from running the memory at a higher speed, and certainly not games.

He is already using the RAM running at DDR3-1600.
What speed is your RAM actually running at?

Please explain this to me.
From my understanding, the CPU is specified to run with a memory I/O speed of 800MHz (DDR3-1600).
To run at the full speed of DDR3-2400 would would have to overclock this I/O bus to 1200MHz.
Is that correct?
Surely running anything at 50% past its specified limit can't be a good idea.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
I, and tons of other folks run their K models at 4.4 to 4.8 and some higher, it's perfectly safe if done correctly and you don't exceed safe voltages and temps, to hit 2400 with youer sticks will prob take a 4.0 which is nothing more than changing the CPU multiplier to 40, and prob no voltage adjustments needed, and running 4 GHz isn't much of an OC as your CPU already uses overdrive to self OC to 3.9 when needed. I'm running 32GB of 2666 and have built a number of systems with DRAM up to 3000 and fully expect them to be running 5-6+ years from now

What is the relationship between CPU clock speed and memory bus frequency?
Why would you have to increase the clock speed in order to increase the memory bus frequency?

You answer a lot of questions on these forums so I expect you are knowledgeable, but none of the replies here are very technical.
By "power" above, do you just mean performance of the CPU relative to memory bandwidth, or do you mean voltage?
How does this "help" the memory controller?
Is there any dependency between CPU clock speed and memory bus frequency?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
When the PU runs at a higher freq it affects many aspects of the entire rig, while I'm not here to write tehnical, as an eample think back to the socket 775 where the MC was in the chipset (NB), a 775 might have a base FSB of 800, to run 1066 or 1200 sticks, you had to raise the FSB to at least equal the DRAM freq you wanted to run, this in turn OCed the CPU and other on the mobo

This has nothing to do with the question.
What is the relationship between CPU core frequency and memory I/O frequency?
You give people advice on these things, and perhaps through experimentation you have formed conclusions about what works and what doesn't but you don't seem to know why.

I don't mean to be critical Tradesman1, I'm sure your advice has helped a lot of people.
The trouble is that you are encouraging people to run components well outside of what the manufacturer specifies.
If they damage components following your advice, you bear no responsibility for this.

For most users, the performance benefits of over clocking don't justify the risk.
In most cases, the CPU at stock speeds is nowhere near 100% utilization of any core while playing games.
What benefit then is there in over clocking?
Add to that the increased power usage and heat to be dissipated leading to more noise to keep it cool.
While there will always be enthusiasts that want to do this, the benefit is not there for most users.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
No worries, as I said I'm not here to write technical papers. People (like you) come here for help, I enjoy helping, but I'm also here to help me keep up with all the various components out there and how they work together, which helps me in my business, tried answering your question in the safest way possible and in a way that works, there are other ways which I do deem to be on the dangerous side and would not advise others to try unless I am well aware of their knowledge level...If it's your desire to see no advantage to OCing, that's your opinion and your right to think that way, there are many out here that do see advantages, I primarily only build high end rigs, the majority of which are business oriented, with the minority being gaming rigs and to be honest, even with clients that are die-hard 'I'll never OC' folks, when shown the performance increases they can obtain by OCing, they change their minds in a hurry ;)