HD 78550 VS. TurboDuo R7 260X

d2cjdude

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013
Looking to play games on 1366x768 resolution, I don't plan on playing on higher resolutions. Mainly looking to play games like BF4 and other next gen games on Ultra at about 30 FPS. These are the only cards I can get so just help me pick ouyt between the two.

Oh and the R7 260X is a TurboDuo Edition. Here are the links to the cards' specs for you guys to easily compare:

R7 260X TurboDuohttp://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=487#Specification

HD7850:http://www.powercolor.com/global/products_features.asp?id=422#Specification

Solution
The GPU clock alone doesn't mean anything. There is something called the stream processors count, in other words the number of cores your GPU have, in order to get a real indication of computational power of the GPU you should multiply the number of stream processors by the GPU clock. The numbers mentioned in the specifications are not the actual (functional) number of cores, but still there is about eighty something difference in core count between the two gpus, with the HD 7850 being obviously the one with the higher count. Although comparing the performance of two cards according to their core counts is not an entirely accurate approach because of different architecture design. The best way to compare the two GPUs is benchmarking...

StarBG

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
20% or so better and it does not has to mean that it is 50% better because of the bandwidth because there are more factors and it is not that easy to calculate and also it depends on different games.

d2cjdude

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

But will I be fine with the HD7850? I think it's almost 2 years old while the R7 260x was released just during Q4 of last year. I'm just wondering what'll happen if the HD7850 becomes "Obsolete".

Also, If I'm playing on 1366x768, am I gonna need or even use the second GB of VRAM from the r7 260x?

d2cjdude

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Ouch right there. Well they both cost the same here. 6500 Pesos. But even if the H6850 is already obsolete, is it still a good choice for long term gaming in the future? Like I said, I only plan on playing on 1366x768.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Obsolete! lol If he is not going to use that much vram on his resolution as you have said, he should probably go with 'the obsolete' stronger card. I think both GPUs use the generation core next technology so it is a little bit of an exaggeration calling it obsolete. And d2cjdude: The HD 7850 has the stronger GPU so if at your resolution the 2 GB of vram won't make much of a difference I would go with the HD 7850, it will be more future proof IMO.

d2cjdude

Honorable
Dec 29, 2013

Ah I see. one last thing, should I still be worried about the core and memory clocks of the HD7850? I mean they are SIGNIFICANTLY lower than the r7 260X and other vid cards.

AnEwG

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
The GPU clock alone doesn't mean anything. There is something called the stream processors count, in other words the number of cores your GPU have, in order to get a real indication of computational power of the GPU you should multiply the number of stream processors by the GPU clock. The numbers mentioned in the specifications are not the actual (functional) number of cores, but still there is about eighty something difference in core count between the two gpus, with the HD 7850 being obviously the one with the higher count. Although comparing the performance of two cards according to their core counts is not an entirely accurate approach because of different architecture design. The best way to compare the two GPUs is benchmarking, and HD 7850 beats the r7 260x in benchmarks.

Solution