r9 270 gpu wont display, amps?

chrawl

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Hello, thanks in advance for any help.

I just bought a gigabyte R9 270 gpu (R9270C) and i can't get it to display. The fans power on and the comp boots. Device manager will not recognize it exists, so I can't install any drivers.

Now this is a fairly old comp, and I thought i had just squeezed in under the PSU's output (antec 550w), but now I'm finding forum posts say that there is an amperage requirement on each rail (i barely know what this means) that i may not be meeting. I'm considering buying a new PSU, but I'd like to know it is the cause first. Can anyone direct me to some documentation of the amperage requirement for this gpu? or definitively tell me the psu is the issue?

PSU: Antec 550w, if im reading the label right i have 3 12v rails at 18a.
mobo: GF7050VT-M
ram: 4g
cpu: core2 quad q6600

Thanks again,
Scott

Solution
Your ECS GF7050VT-M motherboard's nForce 610i chipset only supports PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.0a.

Motherboards that only support PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.0a have been known to have compatibility problems with graphics cards based on PCI Express Base Specification revision 2.x or later.

Motherboards that had a chipset that supported PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.1 were able to gain compatibility with just a BIOS version update if the motherboard manufacturer made an update available for download.

For a system using a single Radeon R9 270 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Your 3 x 18A (+12V) rails should be sufficient for that card. The R9-270 is only a 150W card maxed out: http://www.hwcompare.com/16547/radeon-r9-270/
That is 12.5 amps maxed. But at bootup, it won't draw anywhere near that. It is basically at idle then. Did you remember to connect the 6 pin PCIe cable? Is the card fully in its slot so the slot's locking lever is in place? Are you using the correct output on the card for what your monitor is set to look for...HDMI, DVI?

Your ECS GF7050VT-M motherboard's nForce 610i chipset only supports PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.0a.

Motherboards that only support PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.0a have been known to have compatibility problems with graphics cards based on PCI Express Base Specification revision 2.x or later.

Motherboards that had a chipset that supported PCI Express Base Specification revision 1.1 were able to gain compatibility with just a BIOS version update if the motherboard manufacturer made an update available for download.

For a system using a single Radeon R9 270 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 28 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Antec 550W (TP3-550 / Neo HE550) power supply unit, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps and with two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is way more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon R9 270 graphics card.

Solution

chrawl

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
Thanks for the great reply's guys. I'm guessing its the motherboard then. I've definitely plugged in both 6 pin connectors. I've reseated it in the PCIe slot several times, switching out my old gpu a couple times. And I am always using the same DVI cable when i switch from my working old gpu to the new one. The motherboard not recognizing PCIe x3 does seem to fit with the device manager not registering the card at all.

Thanks again.