Fx 6300 or Fx 8320 with a gtx 770?

zakcunningham1706

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I am building my first computer and I was going to get a fx 6300 with a gtx 760, but the 770 is 43% off on Amazon right now. Will I need to upgrade the cpu to a fx 8320 or will the 6300 not bottleneck the 770. I'm not completely comfortable with over-clocking but I will if I have to. Also will the PSU be sufficient.

here is my build:
CPU: AMD FX8320 Black Edition or fx 6300?
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb)
GPU: Asus GTX 770
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB ssd
PSU: Corsair cx600m

thank you for any help in advance.

Solution

You might notice the difference on real crowded servers in BF4 multiplayer. My kid plays Skyrim on a Phenom II X4 965. Crysis 3 seems to like a better CPU, but not enough to make a difference. Here is a link:

Link

Only you can decide how much you can spend. If your future proofing I'd go with the pseudo 8 core, but for the games you've listed, I'm not sure you'd feel a noticeable difference.
This is a real subjective question. Since both are contemporary CPU's, I would say either should be fine. In most case (not extreme cases) CPU bottlenecking is a myth. Usually you can increase the visual details in most games to the point where the bottleneck is placed back on the GPU. This is how most people play games. You raise the video settings to the point where you feel the game stutter and lag, and then you lower them slightly to gain back the "smooth feeling" and play. The only "bottleneck" will be your FPS at the lowest detail settings. If your CPU bound, you won't get as high a framerate as you would with a better CPU. Though you likely won't feel the difference between 100fps and 150fps and you also won't be happy to play at these settings anyway.

However with that said, if you are playing extremely CPU bound games like FSX or large scale RTS's, then you'll be CPU bound no matter what GPU you pick. In these cases having more CPU grunt is needed, but it's not needed because you're bottlenecking your GPU, it's because the game is very demanding on the CPU.

Hope that helps. Oh and by the way the "extreme cases" I was alluding to would be something like pairing a C2D with a Titan or 780Ti or something like that. In this case most games would be CPU bound and you couldn't raise the graphics settings enough to put the load back onto the GPU.

zakcunningham1706

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

bf4, crysis 3, skyrim(with alot of mods)

Geek Jed

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014

In my opinion, hell ya!
I'm not telling you what to get, I'm just saying what is better.

zakcunningham1706

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

ok then probably going to go with the 8320, its 25% off as well
thanks for the help

You might notice the difference on real crowded servers in BF4 multiplayer. My kid plays Skyrim on a Phenom II X4 965. Crysis 3 seems to like a better CPU, but not enough to make a difference. Here is a link:

Link

Only you can decide how much you can spend. If your future proofing I'd go with the pseudo 8 core, but for the games you've listed, I'm not sure you'd feel a noticeable difference.

Solution