i7 920 performing strange please help me to solve this.

Daraeon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hi,

RIG: i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz, 6gb ddr3 ram tripple channel, 750W PSU OCZ EXTREME, MSI GTX 670 PE,win 8.1 x64 pro
I have serious problem playing MMO games. No matter of any MMO game, i have very bad FPS. No matter of resolution, FPS stays same. 35 fps on 1920x1080 and 35 fps on 640x480, low gpu usage (20-50%) but cpu usage peaks max at 80% so it shouldn´t be a cpu bottleneck. There is no overheating and my CPU is overclocked to 3.8Ghz (C0 rev, it seems it cant make it to higher clocks) .

I can have 70+ gpu usage in mmos dungeons and have 80+ fps but in crowded places i got 20s fps but cpu usage isnt near 100%, so again, it shouldnt be cpu bottleneck.
I can run BF4 and other games on ultra just fine. with high cpu and gpu usage. I returned to 2.66 stock speeds and fps was worse (about 15 less, so bottleneck?) Im confused

I could take it if this was a problem with 1 or 2 games, but with all MMORPG´s? Damn, Im lost, trying to sove this more than a year frown.gif(

HEY! Your like my rig almost (Alienware m17xR2 laptop)
OS W7Sp1 CPU Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (8-8-8-23)
Graphics Acer GD235HZ (1920x1080@100Hz) 1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (Dell)
Storage 232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD), 931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (SATA) 465GB Seagate ST950042 0AS USB Device (USB (SATA)) 36 °C 931GB Western Digital WD Elements 1042 USB Device (USB (SATA)) HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA30N

First, don't be trying to play games at low screensize (640x480) that actually will normally cause more 'lag' in the game as the output by a card like yours would be overflowing the video and cause to many 'refresh of output data'. So stick with your 1080P instead. That said, it isn't just the CPU but your chipset (like mine) are OLD, for example while I have a SSD, I am still running chipset for only SATA II, not SATA III, so there is a huge amount of performance I lose just being 'on'. Considering your CPU is maxing up at 80% but your GPU is staying at 20-50% (best to use MSI Afterburner to monitor these sorts of numbers IN GAME to be sure) then YES your CPU is choking and making the GPU 'wait around' for the CPU to pass along the next set of data to 'render'. To me you MIGHT be maxing out on Memory (6Gb is awfully low, normally 8 minimum) , if your on x32 Windows instead of 64Bit then you only using 3GB (max a 32Bit OS can address) and the rest is just sitting there unused. Lastly also depends how full up the HDD is.

Brand new Haswell i7 for only $600 (http://slickdeals.net/f/6657778-lenovo-h530-desktop-pc-core-i7-4770-3-4ghz-haswell-8gb-ddr3-1tb-hdd-wifi-n-dvdrw-usb-3-hdmi-win-8-599-90-free-shipping-staples), run Windows Easy Transfer to a external drive to back up your data, since you got a nice PSU and GPU (I would look by end of year to upgrading it to a 7xx series anyway as the 6xx is maxing out now) you can just get a nice rig and swap those over, install all the same apps (including games) then run Windows Easy Transfer on new rig and BOOM just like it used to be but a nice rig that won't bottle neck for the next 5 years (figuring you replace the 670).

Daraeon

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
here is some graph of usages from SWTOR

2ytxt0n.png

Well running multiple apps when 'gaming' isn't a goof thing (notes all the stuff you have running at the same time especially uTorrent which sucks alot of CPU, RAM and Network - for Online gaming). Still goes back to what I said, your maxing out your ancient system, the data being read from the drive caps out because it is SATA II connection / chips, the Core itself caps out because of the old tech, and so on.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

i7 920 an ancient system? utorrent using a lot of CPU and RAM?

Where are you getting this info? The i7 920 is still a good cpu for pretty much any game out.

Utorrent uses hardly any CPU or Ram on my computers, and the network bandwidth usage can easily be limited...

genmills

Honorable
Sep 16, 2012
I would try completely closing out uTorrent and testing everything again. On my laptop it caused a memory leak and did strange things--used up tons of my RAM even though it wasn't doing anything.

"i7 920 an ancient system?"

Yes it is, First off it is Bloomfield the VERY first entry here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors#Sandy_Bridge_microarchitecture . You do realize his CPU was release SIX YEARS ago (2008) and the lifespan of consumer PCs is no more then five years before it is serious obsolete (specs: http://ark.intel.com/products/37147). Further the CHIPSET the i7 920 uses (http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/chipsets/workstation-chipsets/workstation-chipset-x58.html) only supports PCI Express 2.0, SATA II (3Gb/s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA) and so on.

"utorrent using a lot of CPU and RAM? Where are you getting this info?"
Yes it does and I had this happen many times, read this in several reviews of it, seen numerous posts "why is UTorrent sucking 100% of my CPU" several times (and gets fixed eventually till 'something else happens), and happens.

" The i7 920 is still a good cpu for pretty much any game out. " Uhm depends what your 'any game out' criteria is, if your saying pre 2013, yes it still does well. But these 2013 and the new 2014 games coming out are showing definitively they are now longer able to support the demands (reason for the OPs post).

Adam Landsberg

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
I have a i7 950 overclocked to 3.8ghz and can play "anygame" even 2014 ones ^..
and i use a 550ti..

I cant play all of them on max but on normal and there is not any lag or stutter...
maybe you have old drivers?

Did you update them?

fu.png

Adam: Wha? "I cant play all of them on max but on normal " - What do you mean 'normal', there is no such setting. It is low, medium, high, ultra usually, and the standard (because you spent all this money as compared to say just getting console) is High to Ultra. If you wish to compromise yourself and play at low - medium to get 30fps, your proving the POINT (there is not any lag or stutter...), as the norm is 50FPS or better always.

I do NOT in anyway support; put it on Low settings, play at 640x480, and as long as it is 15fps or better it is 'playing' the game. IMO your just cheating yourself because you don't wish to face the fact the system does not meet the demands placed on it. Further WHY do that at all?? It makes NO sense, when for less then $200 get a PS3/Xbox360 that 'plays those games' and get MUCH better graphics and game play then your outdated PC? You don't need to spend on Titan cards or whatever, because your not looking to get the 'best experiance and playability' out of the game, your criteria is "I play it", well that is what consoles are for. Slap the disk in, turn it on, play it.

By the way my specs:
M17x R2 Alienware 17" Laptop/ OS W7 Pro 64-bit SP1 / CPU Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 71 °C Clarksfield 45nm Technology / RAM 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 660MHz (8-8-8-23) / Monitor Acer GD235HZ (1920x1080@120Hz) / GPU 1536MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (Dell) 65 °C / Drives HL-DT-ST DVDRWBD CA30N , 232GB Samsung SSD 840 Series (SSD) 38 °C 931GB Seagate ST1000LM014-1EJ164 (SATA) 33 °C 465GB Seagate ST950042 0AS USB Device (USB (SATA)) 34 °C
931GB Western Digital WD Elements 1042 USB Device (USB (SATA)) 32 °C

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

And you are playing all new games at 50+ fps on high-ultra? With that CPU and GPU?

You do realize that your CPU and GPU are quite a lot lower performance than the OPs?

OP "RIG: i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz, 6gb ddr3 ram tripple channel, 750W PSU OCZ EXTREME, MSI GTX 670 PE,win 8.1 x64 pro"

By the way my specs:
M17x R2 Alienware 17" Laptop/ OS W7 Pro 64-bit SP1 / CPU Intel Core i7 740QM @ 1.73GHz 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 660MHz (8-8-8-23) / Monitor Acer GD235HZ (1920x1080@120Hz) / GPU 1536MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670M (Dell)

"You do realize that your CPU and GPU are quite a lot lower performance than the OPs?"
You do realize your completely wrong and apparently are just looking for 'same same' numbers. . I am running the 740QM which is for LAPTOPS, so that means when not gaming I do not need my system running 'full power', which Turbo Boosts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbo_Boost) kicks in when I put demands (gaming) on the machine and cranks the CPU to around 3.5Ghz. Further the op is running a GTX 670 PE, while mine is a 670M, the difference being his is OC able and I am not, and I am running 1.5GB of DDR5, while he is running 2GB of DDR5. So no I am not 'a lot lower performance' I am within margins to make a similar though not EXACT comparison with actual real experience across many titles.

"And you are playing all new games at 50+ fps on high-ultra? With that CPU and GPU?"
If you want to see everything I play, check me on STEAM, under NeroGoth. I am playing currently all three Mass Effect, both Witchers, Skyrim with all DLCs, Dead Island 1 & 2, Walking Dead, Metro 2033 I finished, Batman Arkham City and Asylum, I have the full BF3 package which then garnered me EARLY ACCESS to everyone else onto the BF4 Beta which I played until the last day. Yes I normally on High to Ultra (depending on the Engine of the Game) until I hit BF4, because I too monitored what was 'dragging' on my CPUs, and saw how much ACROSS the CPUs BF4 pulled (nearly 80 several times in my case while newer i7-3xxx CPU scores (http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield%204%20Alpha/test/bf4%20intel.jpg) shows a significant drop in CPU usage which is to be expected as the performance of each generation of i7 CPU INCREASES, it isn't just the same cores with more 'Clock Speed'. We maxed out on Clock Speed for a while now (see how long over 1Ghz has been around with no more then 4Ghz being the ceiling, and then see how we went from 300Hz to 900Mhz CPUs prior to it).
As I said, for 2013 games and going FORWARD, the older tech (as noted OP is running a SIX YEAR OLD CPU) will continue to be impacted with each new game coming out and simply just getting a better GPU won't matter if the CPU is sitting stuck at over 90% utilization (http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/Battlefield%204%20Alpha/test/bf4%20amd.jpg the reason all the Phenom II and FX-4xxx folks filled these forums when BF4 about how crappy thier system works but BF3 they have no problem handling at HIGH (not Ultra) settings before) processing the physics of the front fender of your 'Jeep' will take that M60 shot or will cause the entire Jeep to explode - again not RENDERING the graphics of it happening but calculating the values and code to determine what to send to the GPU to show on the screen.
I will state openly I do NOT support the "crank it down to lowest, 800x600, as long as your over 15FPS your playing the game" mantra ALOT of people state on these forums. If I am spending all this money on a PC, instead of alot cheaper Console, then I should play High-Ultra 50FPS all the time, period. To dump down to just 'play' the game is stupid IMO, because your not getting the 'experiance' advertised that made you want to buy the game. If I just want to PLAY GAMES, then get a freaken console, it is hell lot cheaper (PS3/Xbox360 under $200!!!) and always plays the game exactly as it is advertised. No worries on graphics levels, screen size, etc. to 'make it work'.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You should do your research, because you are way off.

1) The i7 920 is way better than the i7 740qm even when running 3.5Ghz, in everyway, look up some benchmarks.
They are hardly matched together, but synthetic benchmarks are easy to find:

Geekbench:
i7 920: 9242
i7 740qm: 6097

3dMark CPU Physics:
i7 920: 5590
i7 740qm: 3450

2) Your 670M is much much lower performance. The 670m was actually a Fermi based GPU with 336 cuda cores, basically the same GPU as the desktop GTX 560. His 670 PE is the much newer and better kepler GK104 chip, with 1344 cuda cores. Its a about 60% faster.

Just because they are almost the same name, doesnt mean anything, they are totally different GPUs, with the "m" version obviously being vastly inferior.