FX-8350 Crazy Idle Temps

Smothdude

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
So lately I have been seeing overheating occur with my pc so I decided to check the bios after a day of rest. The cpu temp starts at 33c and slowly starts climbing, in around 2 minutes it goes to a crazy amount of around 60c and that is still in the bios. My case is a corsair300r and has adequate amount of clearnce but is still in a corner. My room is directly over my furnace room in which the tempnis set to 24.5 to 25c. My mobo and cpu were put together by memory express and I put the rest of the parts together. I am looking to buy a 212evo by CM would this help? I have experienced shut down due to overheat but odly enough only with Counter-Stike:Global Offensive. I played prototype 2 and games such as loadout w/ no overheat shutdown problems.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Check if your current cooler, i guess the stock one, is properly touching the CPU and the thermal paste is ok. I`ve used my FX8350 few good months with the stock cooler and didn`t experienced any problems. I have the same case but that is of no importance

Smothdude

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014

How would I check for this?

rehed21

Honorable
Aug 9, 2013
Ideally you would remove the cpu cooler, remove the old past and properly apply new paste, and then re-install the cpu cooler. If you don't feel comfortable doing that just check to make sure the cpu fan is spinning when the computer is turned on and that the cpu cooler latch is fully closed. The black plastic tab should be all the way down (parallel to the motherboard) to either the left or right (I forget which) with little to no wiggle. If you can't solve the temperature problem immediately I would not use the computer until you do. If you can't do it yourself purchase an aftermarket cooler (Hyper 212 is good) and have someone install it properly for you.

Smothdude

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
I've just cleaned my PC from dust... There was a layer of dust... literally blocking the CPU under the fan. I cleaned that off and I think something might be off with my bios?? My BIOS says my CPU temp is just going up when I start the pc but HVmonitor is giving me this. The only time my PC crashes is when playing Counter Strike and nothing else. I play BF4 on ultra and I never get these odd shutdowns. http://imgur.com/jlztnTb <--- HVmonitor IDLE photo. Sorry let me add.. This is my HVmonitor while I'm in a CS:GO match. http://imgur.com/atiYGST