Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Computer Shuts Down After Playing Video Games for a While

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 8, 2014 5:31:44 PM

After playing video games for a couple hours my computer just shuts down, no bluescreen or anything, just blacks. This does not happen while I'm just surfing the net. After this happens, I can't just wait a bit and then turn it on again, I have to move my power cable from one UPS to another (they are plugged into the same outlet). Another strange thing that happens is that my peripherals (like my mouse and headphones) are still receiving power. I really can't tell if it's my graphics card or PSU causing my computer to shut down. If anybody has explanations on the other strange happenings as well that would be great.
Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor
MSI Motherboard Model MS-7596
Radeon 6970
12 Gigs of ram
February 8, 2014 5:47:27 PM

Overheating, running out of RAM (happened to me when i had 4GB of ram)
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 6:17:34 PM

TheElectronicGeek1 said:
Overheating, running out of RAM (happened to me when i had 4GB of ram)


I highly doubt it's RAM , I have 12 gigs (just put that in the original question). As for overheating, I don't have much experience, I'm idling at 135 F right now, when I game it goes up to about 165 F. I have no idea if this is too hot for my CPU, from what I've seen on google that's on the upper end of what's good for a CPU. As for an overheating GPU, I don't know what's a good temp. or what it's currently running at.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2014 6:24:04 PM

your cpu should NOT be idling at 135 it should be at something like 80f your cpu is probably broken. when my cpu goes full its 120f. get a new cpu.
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 6:36:11 PM

You are running a little on the hot side. 135F = 57C which is high for idle. It should be in the neighborhood of 40C. You probably need to reseat your CPU cooler or check to see if the fan is moving or if any debris is trapped in the fins. Your load temps are high and that is why it shuts down. 165F = 74C which is too hot causing thermal shutdown.If it isn't smoking, it's likely not fried. :)  But you will need to clean and put new thermal paste on that bad boy because it probably is toasted.
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 6:37:28 PM

also try to put more thermal paste on it
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 7:12:35 PM

timinator said:
You are running a little on the hot side. 135F = 57C which is high for idle. It should be in the neighborhood of 40C. You probably need to reseat your CPU cooler or check to see if the fan is moving or if any debris is trapped in the fins. Your load temps are high and that is why it shuts down. 165F = 74C which is too hot causing thermal shutdown.If it isn't smoking, it's likely not fried. :)  But you will need to clean and put new thermal paste on that bad boy because it probably is toasted.


Would this kind of shutdown cause the weirdness of needing to switch UPS's? Also, what thermal paste would you suggest?
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 7:26:30 PM

TheQuantumLlama said:
timinator said:
You are running a little on the hot side. 135F = 57C which is high for idle. It should be in the neighborhood of 40C. You probably need to reseat your CPU cooler or check to see if the fan is moving or if any debris is trapped in the fins. Your load temps are high and that is why it shuts down. 165F = 74C which is too hot causing thermal shutdown.If it isn't smoking, it's likely not fried. :)  But you will need to clean and put new thermal paste on that bad boy because it probably is toasted.


Would this kind of shutdown cause the weirdness of needing to switch UPS's? Also, what thermal paste would you suggest?

I used antec thermal paste. it works really good for me
m
0
l

Best solution

February 9, 2014 5:34:12 PM

TheQuantumLlama said:
timinator said:
You are running a little on the hot side. 135F = 57C which is high for idle. It should be in the neighborhood of 40C. You probably need to reseat your CPU cooler or check to see if the fan is moving or if any debris is trapped in the fins. Your load temps are high and that is why it shuts down. 165F = 74C which is too hot causing thermal shutdown.If it isn't smoking, it's likely not fried. :)  But you will need to clean and put new thermal paste on that bad boy because it probably is toasted.


Would this kind of shutdown cause the weirdness of needing to switch UPS's? Also, what thermal paste would you suggest?


I highly doubt it. The UPS won't have any direct relation to your CPU getting hot and shutting down because of it. I've been using Arctic Cooling MX-4 for the past few years, it's great stuff in my opinion.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
!