Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

New gaming pc makes buzzing/crackling noises when attempting to play games.

Tags:
  • pc turns off when starting game
  • Gaming
  • Crackling noise
  • Power supply
  • Games
  • Systems
  • 4 pin 12v connector to 8 pin motherboard socket
  • Power Consumption
Last response: in Systems
February 8, 2014 7:42:17 PM

Ok first time posting here, but I've used the site for help with a variety of things in the past so I just wanted to say thanks and I appreciate all the knowledge and insight I've gained from here.

So i just got done building my first gaming rig last night and I'm all excited and then inevitably I ran into a problem. It turned on, installed windows and everything was working fine but then i went to start up dayz and I only got to the menu screen when i heard the computer start buzzing and crackling and then the it restarted itself. I think I know whats wrong, but I'm trying to make sure before i do anything else or buy anything. I'm guessing is the psu is shorting out because I have this older logisys 480w psu that only has a 4 pin 12v connector and the m5a99fx pro mobo has a 8 pin socket. I did my research before i turned it on and heard it was ok to use the 4 pin if your not doing anything heavy, but I'm guessing dayz overloaded it right? Also im wondering if the psu is even good enough to use for that setup? I figured it would be because its 480 watts when pc part picker said the system would only use 334w and plus my friend who sold it to me used it in his rig with the same fx 4100 and gtx 660. The only major difference i can think of between our setups is I have an ATX, he has a miniATX and I have 5 fan controls (only using 4) on my case that use 20 watts each which would bring it up to 414 watts. So I'm not sure if any of that stuff is pushing it too hard. What do you guys think is goin on?

Here's my set up http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2POv4

And by the way, i do have a cpu cooler on there, i just couldn't find it on pc part picker.

More about : gaming makes buzzing crackling noises attempting play games

February 8, 2014 8:05:53 PM

kiiff said:
Ok first time posting here, but have used the site for help with a variety of things in the past so I just wanted to say I appreciate all the knowledge and insight I've gained from reading here.

So i just got done building my first gaming rig last night and I'm all excited and then inevitably I ran into a problem. It turned on, installed windows and everything was working fine but then i went to start up dayz and I only got to the menu screen when i heard the computer start buzzing and crackling and then the it restarted itself. I think I know whats wrong, but I'm trying to make sure before i do anything else or buy anything. I'm guessing is the psu is shorting out because I have this older logisys 480w psu that only has a 4 pin 12v connector and the m5a99fx pro mobo has a 8 pin socket. I did my research before i turned it on and heard it was ok to use the 4 pin if your not doing anything heavy, but I'm guessing dayz overloaded it right? Also im wondering if the psu is even good enough to use for that setup? I figured it would be because its 480 watts when pc part picker said the system would only use 334w and plus my friend who sold it to me used it in his rig with the same fx 4100 and gtx 660. The only major difference i can think of between our setups is I have an ATX, he has a miniATX and I have 5 fan controls (only using 4) on my case that use 20 watts each which would bring it up to 414 watts. So I'm not sure if any of that stuff is pushing it too hard. What do you guys think is goin on?

Here's my set up http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2POv4

And by the way, i do have a cpu cooler on there, i just couldn't find it on pc part picker.


It may be that your graphic card is overheating and the fans are trying to cool it down. It could also be that your psu doesn't have enough watts. I would recommend a 600 watt power supply. Hope this helped!

m
0
l
February 8, 2014 8:08:05 PM

also try to find out whats making the sound. It may just be a faulty gpu fan or case fan
m
0
l
Related resources
February 8, 2014 8:35:04 PM

Jack22012 said:
kiiff said:
Ok first time posting here, but have used the site for help with a variety of things in the past so I just wanted to say I appreciate all the knowledge and insight I've gained from reading here.

So i just got done building my first gaming rig last night and I'm all excited and then inevitably I ran into a problem. It turned on, installed windows and everything was working fine but then i went to start up dayz and I only got to the menu screen when i heard the computer start buzzing and crackling and then the it restarted itself. I think I know whats wrong, but I'm trying to make sure before i do anything else or buy anything. I'm guessing is the psu is shorting out because I have this older logisys 480w psu that only has a 4 pin 12v connector and the m5a99fx pro mobo has a 8 pin socket. I did my research before i turned it on and heard it was ok to use the 4 pin if your not doing anything heavy, but I'm guessing dayz overloaded it right? Also im wondering if the psu is even good enough to use for that setup? I figured it would be because its 480 watts when pc part picker said the system would only use 334w and plus my friend who sold it to me used it in his rig with the same fx 4100 and gtx 660. The only major difference i can think of between our setups is I have an ATX, he has a miniATX and I have 5 fan controls (only using 4) on my case that use 20 watts each which would bring it up to 414 watts. So I'm not sure if any of that stuff is pushing it too hard. What do you guys think is goin on?

Here's my set up http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2POv4

And by the way, i do have a cpu cooler on there, i just couldn't find it on pc part picker.


It may be that your graphic card is overheating and the fans are trying to cool it down. It could also be that your psu doesn't have enough watts. I would recommend a 600 watt power supply. Hope this helped!



Thanks for the quick reply! I did run left for dead 2 after this and loaded into a single player game (crackling noise still but a little less of it than when i loaded up dayz) with task manager open watching the cpu usage and it didn't go above 40% so i was thinking it could be a problem with the gpu but i don't know why it would be overheating just from being at the dayz menu you know?
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 8:41:17 PM

Jack22012 said:
also try to find out whats making the sound. It may just be a faulty gpu fan or case fan


I did try this and it seemed to be coming from the psu, but I'm not exactly sure, or if that's the only place its coming from.
m
0
l
February 8, 2014 8:47:22 PM

Also does anyone know if this could be potentially harming anything or if it will just shut off the computer before it does? I'd like to test some things out including listening to where the noise is coming from like Jack said, but I'm worried It could be damaging something so for now I have it turned off.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 8, 2014 9:38:01 PM

Its the psu since your almost using 90% of the psu watts its being used to the max and I do think over time this could kill your psu. If I were in your shoes I would just get a new psu with over 600 watts and in good quality and trust me I know how much of a pain in the ass it is too rewire everything but It will be worth it because A. You will get less noise and B. you won't have to worry about a decaying psu. So please I strongly advise you to get a new psu because your basically torturing it when your running everything. That is all.
Share
February 9, 2014 4:49:49 AM

Jack22012 said:
Its the psu since your almost using 90% of the psu watts its being used to the max and I do think over time this could kill your psu. If I were in your shoes I would just get a new psu with over 600 watts and in good quality and trust me I know how much of a pain in the ass it is too rewire everything but It will be worth it because A. You will get less noise and B. you won't have to worry about a decaying psu. So please I strongly advise you to get a new psu because your basically torturing it when your running everything. That is all.


Ok, yeah i also looked at the psu again last night and it says 330w total average output with 480 being the max so I'm guessing the average isn't enough for this setup right? And do you think it would be ok just to run the computer normally without playing games untill i get a new psu? Or is that average output still too low? Would i be harming anything other than the psu if i did? Or just the psu?
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 6:44:02 AM

Like I said you should get a bigger power supply and yeah it would be fine to use it I'm just saying that I you shouldn't use it as a permanent power supply.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
February 9, 2014 6:50:21 AM

Your psu is a POS and yes it will potentially and probably damage your other components.
Replace it asap with a quality psu that is capable of 500 continuous watts.
A Corsair CX5OO is an upgrade for example.
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 7:41:42 AM

I agree with davcon GET A NEW PSU!
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 7:49:47 AM

davcon said:
Your psu is a POS and yes it will potentially and probably damage your other components.
Replace it asap with a quality psu that is capable of 500 continuous watts.
A Corsair CX5OO is an upgrade for example.


So would it damage other components from just normal use like web browsing? Or is it that much of a POS that i shouldn't even turn it on?
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 7:52:39 AM

Jack22012 said:
I agree with davcon GET A NEW PSU!


Looking right now! Thanks a lot guys!
m
0
l