Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

How to connect a modem to the same network as wireless router

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Modem
  • Networking
  • Wireless Router
Last response: in Networking
February 9, 2014 1:38:18 PM

Hello all,

I have 2 modems in my home and 1 router. Downstairs, I have a modem connected to a router so I can have wireless throughout my house. I have a computer room upstairs that has a dedicated modem so I can have a more reliable connection for online games.

The modem upstairs is not on the same network as downstairs for some reason. I can not share anything with devices downstairs. I can however share with my roku upstairs via plex, even though the roku is on the wirelsss network.

Can somebody help me figure out how to get everything connected together?

More about : connect modem network wireless router

February 10, 2014 6:27:26 AM

Where does your upstairs modem get it's connection from? What modem is it?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 12:47:56 PM

I take it from this description, that you have two internet connections, one for each modem. Is this correct? If so, that is the reason the modems are not on the same networks. The Roku seems to be on the WiFi provided from your downstairs network.

Is the problem that your upstairs computer cannot network with the rest of the house? You can, I believe, just add a USB WiFi dongle to get onto the network with the rest of the home.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2014 2:48:27 PM

Pooneil said:
I take it from this description, that you have two internet connections, one for each modem. Is this correct? If so, that is the reason the modems are not on the same networks. The Roku seems to be on the WiFi provided from your downstairs network.

Is the problem that your upstairs computer cannot network with the rest of the house? You can, I believe, just add a USB WiFi dongle to get onto the network with the rest of the home.


To both of you:

I am not sure if the upstairs is on a separate network. I have cable internet thru Comcast. I have the modems connected by plugging the cable line directly into the modems. There is a cable line upstairs, and one downstairs...2 different cords but all on one account.

The Roku is connected to the modem/router downstairs as it is on the wifi. What I am finding hard to comprehend is that I can pull files from the computer upstairs via plex, which is on a different cord while the Roku is connected to the one downstairs.

I know I can get a Wifi usb device and connect all thru Wifi, but I wanted to keep the computer upstairs hardwired for a more stable/faster connecting if possible.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:58:41 PM

Do a Google search from each modem attached computer for the terms, "what is my IP" and report back the "Your public IP address is" result. Either they will be the same or different. That will tell for sure.

As for Plex, if you are a Plex Pass subscriber, you can use it anywhere in the world. It is a good service for what it does.

Assuming the IPs are different one way to get the upstairs computer onto both the networks is to put a second NIC in the upstairs computer, That is if you can bring wired access to the lower network up there.
m
0
l
February 11, 2014 7:02:18 PM

Pooneil said:
Do a Google search from each modem attached computer for the terms, "what is my IP" and report back the "Your public IP address is" result. Either they will be the same or different. That will tell for sure.

As for Plex, if you are a Plex Pass subscriber, you can use it anywhere in the world. It is a good service for what it does.

Assuming the IPs are different one way to get the upstairs computer onto both the networks is to put a second NIC in the upstairs computer, That is if you can bring wired access to the lower network up there.


Are you saying run a ethernet from the router downstairs to my computer upstairs? I do not have the ability to do that. Please correct me if i'm just an idiot and misunderstood you.

Both IPs are different.
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 6:39:32 AM

Very good. With different IPs that means, that as suspected, you have two separate internet connections from your ISP. If you cannot run an Ethernet cable, then your best bet is to use WiFi to connect the upstairs computer to your LAN. Another option would be to set up a VPN connection, but that is a last choice, unless you really want to learn how to do it.

BTW, which computer is used as the Plex server. I use Plex on my Roku with a wired connection, so my knowledge of WiFi setup is nill.
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 10:54:02 AM

Pooneil said:
Very good. With different IPs that means, that as suspected, you have two separate internet connections from your ISP. If you cannot run an Ethernet cable, then your best bet is to use WiFi to connect the upstairs computer to your LAN. Another option would be to set up a VPN connection, but that is a last choice, unless you really want to learn how to do it.

BTW, which computer is used as the Plex server. I use Plex on my Roku with a wired connection, so my knowledge of WiFi setup is nill.


The computer upstairs is used as the Plex server. The Roku is on the wifi. I would do a VPN if I can keep my upstairs computer hardwired if you can point me to a good guide or just tell me what I need to do. I actually downloaded a free VPN service a few days ago that gives me an European IP address, if that is something I can use.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 12, 2014 11:54:33 AM

There are two types of VPNs. One as you describe and one that connects two private LANs over the internet. The latter is what you want.

I suggest you try Logmein Hamachi. It is free and, in my experience, it works with little drama once you get it set properly. The main benefit of using a service like Hamachi is that it provides a central server to make the connection between two computers that have variable IPs. The computers then can talk among themselves.

I am not at all schooled in this area, but have used Hamachi successfully for years both to connect my home and work networks and to connect mobile computers with a proxy server. The main draw back is that it is much much slower than wired or even WiFi networking and will suck up your outbound Internet bandwidth.

https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/
Share