Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 8 not working right, at all

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
February 9, 2014 2:07:00 PM

Basically from day 1 it's been having issues. It keeps saying it never shut down properly. I use Settings > Power > Shut down. Well, if that's causing it to think it lost power how else are you supposed to shut down!!!?

Got 16 cases of Kernel-Power error even though I shut down correctly

Got BSOD (Memory_Management) when waking from sleep. No errors found by memory diagnostic (Although it never told me because the little window that's supposed to come up never came)

Got shadow copy failures

I know my hardware works fine, because all the problems starting when I installed 8 (except for when it emergency shutdown during a mobo update, because the CPU overheated, that was genuine), but Windows 8.1 is ruining my beast of a build!

How do I fix this, tired of it already, 3 weeks in

More about : windows working

February 9, 2014 2:20:53 PM

overheating issues? number one rule of any computer - it should run at any given time with any given task without hesitation or issue, if it does not ITS FAULTY

fix your heating issue
if its overclocked reset the overclock
test your hardware (ALL of it -- memtest furmark prime95 hdtune)

dont blame Windows 8 because of issues with your faulty/poorly built/configured rig
m
0
l
February 9, 2014 2:24:58 PM

I fixed the heating issue as soon as I found it, the CPU cooling fan was not plugged in fully or something and now temps are way down at 30 degrees and Windows 8 is still broken

In fact it's widely accepted that 8 sucks (question my choice of it now), but I was kind of liking it, but it's been broken since day 1

And if you're not going to help dude, stay out the thread
m
0
l
Related resources
February 9, 2014 3:43:46 PM

Just thinking, could it be the Power adaptor it's plugged in to causing stability issues. Other devices have been plugged in to it and never had a problem, it's an 8 way

I did some more digging and found that it could be the hybrid shutdown causing the Event 41's. A number of times after shutdown I intend to work on my PC so I turn off at the PSU as well, but because 8 never fully shuts down, but is instead in hibernation then wouldn't that register as it lost power? There are some days where Event 41 does not occur.

Still stumped on the Memory Management error though
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 12:00:22 AM

I keep getting the "sorry there was a problem needs to restart" page with the frown face. Windows won't let me install some updates now either. I have played with my RAM a little bit down volting it. I don't even think thats the problem though.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 12:14:00 AM

power cuts/overheating = file system corruptions = windows wont load

original windows disk in and boot from it, select the repair option (to run chkdsk etc)

again TEST YOUR HARDWARE it doesnt matter that you found one issue keep looking and check everything else
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:38:21 AM

Which RAM are you using? I was using a third party RAM for the longest time and it was getting memory related issues for the longest time. I replaced one of the two and it was back to working normally.

Try running WIN7 and see if you face the same issues. I moved back to win7 from win8.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:57:38 AM

Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

I nuked my drives and formatted everything to do a clean install of 8 (sfc/scannow found a corrupt file). Interestingly PowerDVD 12 reported one when I tried to install it after, but I put PowerDVD 19 back.

Could the error 41's be caused by Windows 8.1's hybrid shutdown. A lot of the time I want to work on the inside of the rig after shutdown so I switch the PSU off after shutdown, but because 8 I'd never truly off does that cause it to register as an error 41?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 3:37:22 AM

unplanned bacon said:
Corsair CML16GX3M2A1600C10 Vengeance Low Profile 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL10 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit Black

I nuked my drives and formatted everything to do a clean install of 8 (sfc/scannow found a corrupt file). Interestingly PowerDVD 12 reported one when I tried to install it after, but I put PowerDVD 19 back.

Could the error 41's be caused by Windows 8.1's hybrid shutdown. A lot of the time I want to work on the inside of the rig after shutdown so I switch the PSU off after shutdown, but because 8 I'd never truly off does that cause it to register as an error 41?


What sort of protection do or did you have running before you reformatted? Did you scan your system?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 4:25:41 AM

james_44 said:
Which RAM are you using? I was using a third party RAM for the longest time and it was getting memory related issues for the longest time. I replaced one of the two and it was back to working normally.

Try running WIN7 and see if you face the same issues. I moved back to win7 from win8.


Third party ram? What are you talking about?

Nothing wrong with Windows 8, your suggesting something for no reason.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:22:31 AM

Avast and Malware Bytes. They came back clean in scans and if Malware Bytes did find something I'd get it to clear it out.

I will say now though, during first boot when I put it together it emergency shutdown during a motherboard software update because the CPU got too hot (I thought the cooling fan was fully connected, but evidently it wasn't, my fault). And I do some registry editing to get rid of remnants of an uninstalled program (I only removed things related to that program), don't know if that could have caused the memory management error but the two events were several hours apart.

After formatting and reinstalling (after making this thread) just Windows, scannow came back with no integrity problems. PowerDVD 12 came later 10 was already installed and was on the motherboard disc) did it say corrupted file.

My computer was working fine over the three weeks but there was something not quite right. Reliability monitor was throwing up a tonne of errors and then you've got this memory management error which led to the formatting and reinstall
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:44:20 AM

And if anyone could tell me why PowerDVD 10 doesn't appear in add/remove programs that would be great
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 7:10:34 AM

Simply because it isn't made for Windows 8
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 8:20:26 AM

So now I know PowerDVD's install process is the most likely cause of the corrupt file. It occurred with PowerDVD 10 and the time I tried to put 12
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 8:41:10 AM

go to the pc setting at the charm bar and click recycle your PC and it will take at least 9/10 hours and it will work fine
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 11:51:51 AM

cyborgcity said:
I keep getting the "sorry there was a problem needs to restart" page with the frown face. Windows won't let me install some updates now either. I have played with my RAM a little bit down volting it. I don't even think thats the problem though.


Were you able to get anywhere with this?

I don't want to tempt fate, but since the clean install everything is working properly, except that corrupt file (most likely created by PowerDVD) which I haven't scanned for again yet, but I assume it's there. No Google Chrome didn't shut down correctly, no Error 41, no BSODs, faster operation, so something had gone screwy somewhere in the software

I've figured PowerDVD 10 is in the Add/Remove programs thing. As it installed as part of a CyberLink Media Suite all the programs appear under one name. I have had one tiny issue though with my Xbox 360 adaptor malfunctioning, but that's minor

EDIT: sfc/scannow came back and no corrupted files!!! :D 
EDIT: Spoke too soon, got another Windows was not properly shutdown :( 
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:11:36 PM

T E S T__Y O U R__H A R D W A R E

have i said it clear enough?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 3:24:17 PM

unplanned bacon said:
cyborgcity said:
I keep getting the "sorry there was a problem needs to restart" page with the frown face. Windows won't let me install some updates now either. I have played with my RAM a little bit down volting it. I don't even think thats the problem though.


Were you able to get anywhere with this?

I don't want to tempt fate, but since the clean install everything is working properly, except that corrupt file (most likely created by PowerDVD) which I haven't scanned for again yet, but I assume it's there. No Google Chrome didn't shut down correctly, no Error 41, no BSODs, faster operation, so something had gone screwy somewhere in the software

I've figured PowerDVD 10 is in the Add/Remove programs thing. As it installed as part of a CyberLink Media Suite all the programs appear under one name. I have had one tiny issue though with my Xbox 360 adaptor malfunctioning, but that's minor

EDIT: sfc/scannow came back and no corrupted files!!! :D 
EDIT: Spoke too soon, got another Windows was not properly shutdown :( 


I deleted some download programs and removed some spyware from malware and some other infected files with avast etc. But I left the OS running all night with sleep/display turned off and woke up and it had restarted again taking me to the black boot screen... Did you play with the sleep/display settings much? Does it still do it if you lock it or put it to sleep etc.?

I just payed $150 for windows 8.1 from windows 7 and I really dont see why I should pay more money for an OS. Id like to fix it without reinstalling windows 8.1 again as well. Ive only had mine running for 3 days.

m
0
l
February 10, 2014 3:24:29 PM

apache_lives said:
T E S T__Y O U R__H A R D W A R E

have i said it clear enough?


No, unless you're talking about the RAM test thing, but that seems kind of long to do.Other sources suggest is could be the fast boot feature causing an Event 41 to register. If my hardware was faulty would it not crash first, then cause an Event 41 rather than work 100% fine and trigger event 41 with no visual symptoms at all

I will look into testing my RAM though
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 3:06:14 PM

apache_lives said:
"long to do"

right.


What seems to be the issue dude?
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 12:56:42 AM

you come here looking for a solution and seeking advice, then you disregard it

do you want help or not?
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 2:49:19 AM

Yeah, but your first post didn't make me inclined to any to listen to you at all
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 4:03:58 AM

Unplanned bacon are you still getting the crashes? I though I might of been progressing then yesterday I went to fire up BF4 to show my housemate my rig and being the best time of course boom, it crashed again :( 
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 4:47:45 AM

A clean install and turning off fast start seems to have fixed all the issues (no error 41s, bugs, slow starts or blue screens, time will tell if the blue screen thing stays true). I've had no errors at all, no corrupted files apart from 1 out 2 buggy programs. Seems the crash during that motherboard update on day one may have been the root of the issue along with when acronis copied everything. If that memory management thing he queens again I will probably test my RAM.

As for the battlefield problem, maybe try reinstalling the game?
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 13, 2014 5:07:51 AM

unplanned bacon said:
A clean install and turning off fast start seems to have fixed all the issues (no error 41s, bugs, slow starts or blue screens, time will tell if the blue screen thing stays true). I've had no errors at all, no corrupted files apart from 1 out 2 buggy programs. Seems the crash during that motherboard update on day one may have been the root of the issue along with when acronis copied everything. If that memory management thing he queens again I will probably test my RAM.

As for the battlefield problem, maybe try reinstalling the game?


So you built a new system, and cloned the OS from the old system? Presumably you have a new motherboard and CPU?
And a clean install fixed it?

Yes, this is very often what happens with the cloning process. You're lucky it even started the first time!
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 5:14:51 AM

No no, everything was bought new for the build including OS. I installed the OS onto the hard drive, but then I got another one and wanted to switch the C drive (which is where the clone process came in), all the hardware was the same, just the original C drive was being demoted. My problems had been going since about day 1 (most of the time it would work fine, but there was a Persian error 41, without any actual crash, and a load of programming crashes in event log and reliability monitor). All the hardware was still the same from when it first went live. As last resort I clean installed (this was after the blue screen) and that's fixed everything up. The hardware did not change at any point apart from the addition of a hard drive and WiFi card
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 5:17:24 AM

So the OS was bought new for the build. OnlyOnly used acronis when I needed to switch drives
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 13, 2014 5:23:39 AM

unplanned bacon said:
So the OS was bought new for the build. OnlyOnly used acronis when I needed to switch drives


OK.
Still, the clean install seems to have fixed things?
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 5:36:13 AM

Yes, that and turning off fast start within windows (still on in the BIOS though)
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 4:51:31 AM

Stuff is still a little broken. Computer failed to wake from sleep mode, instead got a black screen and then it killed itself (shutdown by killing power) and then there's another one on the same day where it says it shutdown unexpectedly (what actually happened was it went into sleep mode because it had been idle for an hour due to Steam downloading a game). If I turned off Hybrid Sleep would that solve it?
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 4:59:39 AM

Now reliability monitor is not downloading the solution. Brilliant. Should have just gone with Windows 7. From the moment Windows 8 hit that infinite install loop, stuff hasn't been quite right (after clean install, it looked like it was all fixed, but some problems are back again)
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 5:09:37 AM

I reinstalled it again as well but it crashed within 20 minutes. I was thinking it could be an issue with my amd video drivers, so I deleted all the drivers but now I can't install the latest one, 13.12. The amd website won't let me. So I may have just created another problem for myself, man I'm sick of this, i didnt have these problems last year with windows 7.
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 5:12:50 AM

Exactly. 8 just plain sucks! Nothing works in it

At the other guy who posted earlier, I'm about to do a RAM test as it reported a Blue Screen at 2:21 AM (even though it was in sleep mode, so you can't blue screen can you! 8 is so stupid)
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 16, 2014 5:16:31 AM

The problem is not Windows 8.
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 5:27:50 AM

I'm testing my hardware now if that's what you're suggesting, but searching these problems online shows loads of people have suffered the same issues, so I'm inclined to believe it is 8 at fault unless you can tell me what it might be (beyond the problem is not 8 which of so helpful, thank you)
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 2:22:29 PM

LOL so finally after wasting all that time your actually going to follow some actual advice?

As USAFRet said its not a Windows 8 issue
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 11:03:47 AM

apache_lives said:
LOL so finally after wasting all that time your actually going to follow some actual advice?

As USAFRet said its not a Windows 8 issue


I was troubleshooting Windows to see if it could be that, then moved on to hardware (which is passing all the tests)
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 17, 2014 11:15:08 AM

ok......so back to basics

A clean install of Windows 8, on the absolute minimum hardware set.
Does it work?

Question: Where did this Win8 install come from?
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 12:04:07 PM

It's an official legit Windows 8.1 full retail disc ordered off Amazon. My issues when you look at them seem to stem from the shutdown, sleep and hibernate features like I said on my other thread. Turning off fast start fixed E41, but hybrid sleep is still on (Which who knows could be causing the issues. I mean if turning off fast start fixed E41 like that then who's to say this won't). Funnily enough when gaming it's perfect (some frame rate drops but I am playing Titanfall Beta and the other two games are Sims 3 (yes I know) and Borderlands 2, only two of which sometimes have unstable frames), but ask it to do the regular stuff that's when the random errors come out. Majority of the time though it's absolutely fine in operation.

What would minimum hardware be (1 RAM stick, no GPU?)
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 12:08:15 PM

In fact you wouldn't even know anything had happened unless you checked reliability monitor or it happens when you're using whatever it is that errors out
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 17, 2014 12:27:42 PM

unplanned bacon said:
In fact you wouldn't even know anything had happened unless you checked reliability monitor or it happens when you're using whatever it is that errors out


So this "absolute disaster" of Windows 8 isn't that much of a disaster?
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 12:56:02 PM

USAFRet said:
unplanned bacon said:
In fact you wouldn't even know anything had happened unless you checked reliability monitor or it happens when you're using whatever it is that errors out


So this "absolute disaster" of Windows 8 isn't that much of a disaster?


Well, the errors that occur are concerning enough to generate the thread, because I left it for weeks and would like to fix it, because it is a new machine. It was having a number of errors reported daily in Reliability monitor before clean install which lead to me thinking 8 is unreliable and the BSOD made me think there's a serious problem somewhere. Clean install and turning off fast start after a bit of digging fixed all but one issue (the sleep mode problem). But now you say it that way, it doesn't seem like it's as big a problem as I thought. It was just the sheer number of consistent errors showing up in the reliability monitor (up until clean install and some settings tweaking). Perhaps thread title is a bit overdramatic?

m
0
l
February 18, 2014 3:34:35 PM

It seems like the factory reset or clean install has fixed the dreaded 8.1 issue. I've had the OS running straight for 40 hours so far with no blue screen or hangs. Before this I was getting a crash almost twice within 24 hours. This time round though I didn't **** around with the drivers and utilities too much, only installed the current GPU driver and the current Intel chipset drivers. Everything else was picked up by windows update and installed accordingly with all devices being picked up under device manager. I might end up eating my words, but I'm gonna leave the OS on for at least a week before shutting down before I start overclocking or anything like that.
m
0
l
a c 450 * Windows 8
February 18, 2014 3:42:15 PM

cyborgcity said:
It seems like the factory reset or clean install has fixed the dreaded 8.1 issue. I've had the OS running straight for 40 hours so far with no blue screen or hangs. Before this I was getting a crash almost twice within 24 hours. This time round though I didn't **** around with the drivers and utilities too much, only installed the current GPU driver and the current Intel chipset drivers. Everything else was picked up by windows update and installed accordingly with all devices being picked up under device manager. I might end up eating my words, but I'm gonna leave the OS on for at least a week before shutting down before I start overclocking or anything like that.


I've had 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 running on my main PC 24/7 since it was released. I don't think I've a single bluescreen.
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 4:05:52 PM

USAFRet said:
cyborgcity said:
It seems like the factory reset or clean install has fixed the dreaded 8.1 issue. I've had the OS running straight for 40 hours so far with no blue screen or hangs. Before this I was getting a crash almost twice within 24 hours. This time round though I didn't **** around with the drivers and utilities too much, only installed the current GPU driver and the current Intel chipset drivers. Everything else was picked up by windows update and installed accordingly with all devices being picked up under device manager. I might end up eating my words, but I'm gonna leave the OS on for at least a week before shutting down before I start overclocking or anything like that.


I've had 8 and then upgraded to 8.1 running on my main PC 24/7 since it was released. I don't think I've a single bluescreen.


I think it was because I went from windows7(expired version) to 8.1, which shouldn't of been a problem as microsofts states you can upgrade from 7 to 8.1.But I have also heard of a lot of people going from 8 to 8.1 and still having issues.
m
0
l
February 19, 2014 1:21:26 AM

I also went from 8 to 8.1 (upgrade) no dramas at all, zero issues
m
0
l
February 22, 2014 5:30:00 AM

Ok so it's been almost a week and the OS has been running like a boss... No random crashes or BSOD's. I have had one or two freezes while dl'ing programs along with a few mild application errors but nothing substantial. I'm pretty safe to say the OS is not far from rock solid now, thank god. I would of hated to spend another 150 bucks on an OS.
m
0
l
February 22, 2014 4:18:38 PM

cyborgcity said:
Ok so it's been almost a week and the OS has been running like a boss... No random crashes or BSOD's. I have had one or two freezes while dl'ing programs along with a few mild application errors but nothing substantial. I'm pretty safe to say the OS is not far from rock solid now, thank god. I would of hated to spend another 150 bucks on an OS.


Follow the same advice i gave unplanned bacon (hopefully you might listen and get results)

The OS is solid, its based off the same solid NT6 core seen in Vista and 7
m
0
l
!