8320 vs i5 4440

Solution

Agreed. I waited in bated breathe for E3/CES for AMD to make some grand entrance, the only thing out of AMD is the silly APU as they focus on trying to enter the Tablet market space. To me I think, unless something is in the...

barto

Expert
Ambassador
Well, the 8320 has 8 cores and has the ability to overclock. So technically it will last longer because of OC and with the hope that games will use more cores. The downside is the FX series is supposedly dead and so is the AM3+ socket so no newer CPUs. The i5 is better single threaded applications and technically more power per core. There isn't any confirmation but it is possible for the next gen Intel CPUs to use the 1150 socket so you can upgrade to a newer CPU in the future. The i5 can't be overclocked.

Agreed. I waited in bated breathe for E3/CES for AMD to make some grand entrance, the only thing out of AMD is the silly APU as they focus on trying to enter the Tablet market space. To me I think, unless something is in the lab and it happens to be a HyperThreading solution to the current FX line, AMD is dead. The new Haswell pushed i5s above the TOP AMD CPU available, and i5s are 'Middle performance', and pushed i3s close enough to be considered a 'alternative' to the FX-8xxx now (SIGH!). Personally this is just the death spasm of AMD as they were so focused since buying out ATI that CPU and GPU etc. all needed to be on One Chip, and are blind to what the market (us consumers) been screaming for, REAL competiting cheap alternative to Intel.

Dunno if any you seen, but a Haswell i7 PC can be had for as little as $599, as compared to past 'new highest end CPU' systems were starting for 3x as much previously.

Solution

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
AMD is making the most out of them buying ATi. I don't imagine that their CPU divison is making them very much money (if not its costing them more than what they get from it). Their GPU department however is very good and competitive and is bailing AMD out from bankruptcy.