Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Is it possible to watercool an EVGA classified 780 Ti without removing the stock cooling? or should i go for the stock cooling

Tags:
  • Overclocking
  • EVGA
  • Water Cooling
  • Go
  • Cooling
  • Gtx
  • GPUs
Last response: in Overclocking
February 10, 2014 8:18:29 AM

I'm planning on using the EK-FC780 GTX Ti GPU waterblock, and i don't know if i should buy the evga one (03G-P4-2888-KR) or the normal one (03G-P4-2881-KR)

More about : watercool evga classified 780 removing stock cooling stock cooling

a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2014 9:13:26 AM

Honestly to save money, i'd just buy one of the better aftermarket ones, or go with a reference 780ti and add a waterblock yourself (you will save a lot of money)
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 10:34:39 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
Honestly to save money, i'd just buy one of the better aftermarket ones, or go with a reference 780ti and add a waterblock yourself (you will save a lot of money)

The classified one is faster though... and I can spend those extra 65$ but I want to know if I can leave the acx cooler on for extra cooling.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2014 11:01:28 AM

leave the acx cooler on, as you won't be reaching anywhere close to max temps unless you are putting it in a box with no air holes lol. the classified one is primarily just factory clocked higher, and you could easily overclock it to the same level if you chose to. Card marketing is kinda broken this way, as overclockers can generally get the cheaper card and overclock to roughly the same level (max overclock would likely be lower of course vs the more expensive one). but you get the point right? it's mostly a money grab for people who don't like to overclock, whereas after overclocking the cards become much closer in performance
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 12:58:05 PM

Brantyn Gerik said:
leave the acx cooler on, as you won't be reaching anywhere close to max temps unless you are putting it in a box with no air holes lol. the classified one is primarily just factory clocked higher, and you could easily overclock it to the same level if you chose to. Card marketing is kinda broken this way, as overclockers can generally get the cheaper card and overclock to roughly the same level (max overclock would likely be lower of course vs the more expensive one). but you get the point right? it's mostly a money grab for people who don't like to overclock, whereas after overclocking the cards become much closer in performance


So I buy the acx cooler version because it costs the same and I prefer how it looks and add the water block?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2014 4:31:52 PM

no. if you want to add a waterblock you buy just a reference design 780 , otherwise you are wasting money on the acx cooler
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 9:34:48 PM

Brantyn Gerik said:
no. if you want to add a waterblock you buy just a reference design 780 , otherwise you are wasting money on the acx cooler


It costs the same on pcpartpicker.com
m
0
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2014 1:31:04 AM

then go with the acx one and slap a waterblock on it for good measure.
Share
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2014 1:31:44 AM

you do need to remove the stock air cooler to put on a waterblock. just in case that wasnt clear.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2014 1:32:20 AM

so it wont matter what cooler comes on the card because you will literally just throw that in a box and it won't ever even be inside your pc if you are trying to watercool it
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2014 10:30:12 AM

+1 for the suggested block, but it appears to me that OP may not be quite experience enough to do a full water loop just yet (hopefully extensive youtube tutorials are watched)
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 4:56:00 AM

Brantyn Gerik said:
+1 for the suggested block, but it appears to me that OP may not be quite experience enough to do a full water loop just yet (hopefully extensive youtube tutorials are watched)


of course, i'll watch many tutorials and i contacted joe from frozencpu for help.
m
0
l