Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Building a new PC to replace my fathers outdated 2002 HP, need suggestions.

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Hewlett Packard
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 10, 2014 11:43:04 AM

Hey Tom's, I need your help again.
My father is currently looking to build a new PC as his trusty old HP's motherboard went out and I've convinced him he needs to upgrade. He's looking for a decently future proofed computer, Definitely NOT a super computer. He mainly just surf's the internet and checks his e-mail, But he does run a Printing business and often uses Corel Draw, WinPcSign, Adobe Illustrator, etc. But, he'd also like his computer to double as a home theater pc, able to stream movies / tv shows to the other computers in our house.

Just a heads up I will also be using my computer to stream and my build is as follows:
---------------------------------------------
Intel Core i5-3570k
AsRock Z77 Extreme4
Samsung 830 128gb SSD
Corsair CX600 PSU
Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB RAM
Hyper 212 Evo Cpu cooler
Corsair 400R Case
1TB HDD
---------------------------------------------
The build I set up for him is pretty similar to mine, Just with a few changes since mine was purchased over a year ago. Oh and I guess I should have mentioned, the budget is around 600$ and he needs an operating system. He's already got 8GB of RAM and a 600W Modular Power supply, so that isn't included in the budget.

So far this is what I've come up with:
---------------------------------------------
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB
Microsoft Windows 8.1 - Full Version (32 & 64-bit)
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming Computer Case
---------------------------------------------
I'm very open to suggestions to save some money, or if there's anything better for the price.

More about : building replace fathers outdated 2002 suggestions

February 10, 2014 3:36:26 PM

Anyone have any input? Please. I'd like to make sure my dad has the best of the best.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 3:43:35 PM

What's the RAM and the Power Supply?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2014 3:48:26 PM

It's as follows:
8GB Patriot G2 DDR3 memory
Corsair CX600M Modular power supply.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 10, 2014 3:50:02 PM

Don't get the K version since he doesn't need overclocking, and save money by getting an h87 mobo.
Share
February 10, 2014 3:52:03 PM

Okay, you're not getting an intel CPU with a $600 budget


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $609.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-10 18:51 EST-0500)


Edit: Just noticed you want Windows 8, so ignore the Windows 7 disk that's listed here.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 4:42:51 PM

zemiak said:
Okay, you're not getting an intel CPU with a $600 budget


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($144.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($84.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $609.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-10 18:51 EST-0500)


Edit: Just noticed you want Windows 8, so ignore the Windows 7 disk that's listed here.


An intel build is just fine for his budget. and he doesn't need a graphics card.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 4:52:01 PM

Where does it say he doesn't need a graphics card...? I must be blind...
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:00:21 PM

I don't need a graphics card. As I stated, this is a build for my father to do his Printing / Sign business on. He NEVER plays games. I don't understand what you mean when you say I can't get a Intel CPU with a 600$ budget? I just posted my build and it included a Intel CPU for $620.

Bob Hays, Would you recommend just getting a Locked Haswell Processor and changing motherboards? Or would it be best just to change to H87 and downgrade to a Non - K version of the processor like you suggested?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:05:53 PM

Without a graphics card you can get an intel CPU, I just thought since he did a little adobe work that you would want one. So you need a CPU, CPU Cooler, Motherboard, Case, PSU, Optical Drive, and OS for $600?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:13:59 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($218.97 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($42.98 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit - OEM (64-bit) ($99.98 @ Best Buy)
Total: $551.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-10 20:11 EST-0500)

If you need an SSD in there, add the Samsung 840 EVO 120GB one that you had listed originally. Also I threw in a Blue-Ray/DVD-RW Optical Drive since you said he wanted to use it as a home theater as well, I thought that might mean he might watch Blue Ray movies too.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:25:51 PM

Thanks for your response Zemiak, But I believe Bob Hays' is the best way for me to go.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 5:33:18 PM

interlaced said:
I don't need a graphics card. As I stated, this is a build for my father to do his Printing / Sign business on. He NEVER plays games. I don't understand what you mean when you say I can't get a Intel CPU with a 600$ budget? I just posted my build and it included a Intel CPU for $620.

Bob Hays, Would you recommend just getting a Locked Haswell Processor and changing motherboards? Or would it be best just to change to H87 and downgrade to a Non - K version of the processor like you suggested?


I don't understand the difference between getting a locked one, and just downgrading to a non-k
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 6:03:57 PM

There is no difference, I guess I should have worded it different. I meant it as, Would you recommend just getting a Locked Haswell Processor and switching motherboards, OR would it be better just to switch to a Locked Ivy Bridge Processor and switching to an H87 Motherboard.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 6:54:15 PM

interlaced said:
There is no difference, I guess I should have worded it different. I meant it as, Would you recommend just getting a Locked Haswell Processor and switching motherboards, OR would it be better just to switch to a Locked Ivy Bridge Processor and switching to an H87 Motherboard.


Ivy bridge isn't h87, but I think you are asking ivy vs haswell (correct me if i'm wrong). I would just go with haswell since its the newer version unless you find a good deal for ivy.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 6:57:05 PM

bob hays said:
interlaced said:
There is no difference, I guess I should have worded it different. I meant it as, Would you recommend just getting a Locked Haswell Processor and switching motherboards, OR would it be better just to switch to a Locked Ivy Bridge Processor and switching to an H87 Motherboard.


Ivy bridge isn't h87, but I think you are asking ivy vs haswell (correct me if i'm wrong). I would just go with haswell since its the newer version unless you find a good deal for ivy.


Boy do I look dumb... Thanks Bob, you nailed it. I need to brush up on my computer parts as I havent really been actively researching since the release of Ivy Bridge.

Thanks again.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 7:42:31 PM

yup no problem. Hope he enjoys the new build
m
0
l