Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Infinite boot loop when RAM is plugged in

Last response: in Components
Share
February 10, 2014 12:37:56 PM

A few days ago, I attempted to overclock my computer using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility. When it attempted to reboot, my computer was stuck in an infinite boot loop that could only be stopped by turning off the power supply. The fans seem to turn on for about 15 seconds and then they stop and restart. I have tried clearing the CMOS by removing the motherboard battery and by moving the CMOS jumper.

The problem only persists when a RAM module is plugged in. If no RAM is plugged in, it boots and stays on for 15 seconds then it restarts. The computer than stays on indefinitely after the first boot, however.

Is there anyway this can be solved?

I am using an ECS Z77H2-A4 motherbard, an Intel Pentium G2120 processor, a Corsair CX500 psu, and PNY 1x4GB RAM
February 10, 2014 12:53:45 PM

Your ram might not be getting enough voltage if the bios defaulted.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 1:06:20 PM

erick81 said:
Your ram might not be getting enough voltage if the bios defaulted.


how would i check to see if this is the issue?
m
0
l
Related resources
February 10, 2014 1:25:43 PM

If you can you get into bios at start up you should see a tab marked MIB X I believe there you can see if it's set for at least 1.5v.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 1:31:38 PM

erick81 said:
If you can you get into bios at start up you should see a tab marked MIB X I believe there you can see if it's set for at least 1.5v.


there's no way to get to bios as the computer restarts itself beforehand
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 1:49:33 PM

Any beeps while you try to post with the ram in?
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:05:20 PM

erick81 said:
Any beeps while you try to post with the ram in?


i currently do not have a speaker in my motherboard
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:21:36 PM

Have you tried the ram in all the slots and if possible using another stick of ram.
m
0
l
February 10, 2014 2:36:32 PM

erick81 said:
Have you tried the ram in all the slots and if possible using another stick of ram.


i have tried different sticks of RAM in each of the four slots and the problem persists
m
0
l
!