Solved

pc wont boot with new graphics card (425watt and gainward gtx 460 glh)

Hi I recently got this card of a friend in fully working condition , ive put it in my pc replacing an old gtx 260 thing and the pc will not boot its just a black screen but all the fans are going including the gpu fan , if I put my old card in it works fine again , I tried it with one pcie and nothing and 2 still nothing , any help please my psu says it can handle a 490w max load too ...its a hiper 425w
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about wont boot graphics card 425watt gainward gtx 460 glh
  1. hi
    i would suggest your PSU is too weak as its a 425watt and if the system needs 490watts to run its too much load for the psu especially if the PSU is a cheap for not a well known brand or windows doesn't remember the computer as too much of the hardware has changed so you will need a fresh install (a new OS install). hope this helped.
  2. have a look at this site http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/07/12/nvidia-geforce-gtx-460-graphics-card-review/11
    under load your GPU takes up half of your PSUs power!!
  3. Most GTX 460 require two 6-pin auxiliary power connectors from the PSU.

    They are usually located near the tail end of the card, like this
    https://tinyurl.com/oo5yu7h

    What is the brand and model of the card?
  4. ninjatuna101 said:
    hi
    i would suggest your PSU is too weak as its a 425watt and if the system needs 490watts to run its too much load for the psu especially if the PSU is a cheap for not a well known brand or windows doesn't remember the computer as too much of the hardware has changed so you will need a fresh install (a new OS install). hope this helped.



    hi i meant the max load of the psu is 490 not the system load required, thanks
  5. yes but even then you only have 290 watts free to use say cpu 100 watts now u have 190 watts everything else lets say takes 110 watts that only leaves 80 watts and some PSU if there not bronze,silver,gold or platinum they can lose up to 100 watts and also check what huilun02 said as this could also be the problem
  6. i had both of the 6 pin power conectors full,although i did have but an adapter for the second one. its the gainward gtx 460 GLH http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapro.php?id=395 that one.
  7. ninjatuna101 said:
    yes but even then you only have 290 watts free to use say cpu 100 watts now u have 190 watts everything else lets say takes 110 watts that only leaves 80 watts and some PSU if there not bronze,silver,gold or platinum they can lose up to 100 watts and also check what huilun02 said as this could also be the problem


    i guess its just a power supply issue, what do you think is a decent size power supply to replace mine with, i dont want to blow the rest of my pc up but want it so i can add to my computer without worrying about power.
  8. Best answer
    please try this link and fill it out as well as you can this will tell you the PSU wattage you should have.
    http://support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx

    this site says i should have 650watts so i give an extra 100 watts to be safe and gives me room for OCing
  9. thanks for the website link i managed to find a website that told me the exact minimum i need to power this card and unfortunately its 450,the upgrade has been a long time coming with this pc being 6 years old custom casual gaming rig lol,sorry for wasting your time but thanks for all the help.
  10. no problem that's what we are here for glade you have found the issues and have resolved it!! don't for get to say this has a solution and pick the best answer.
    hope you don't have any more problems!
  11. ninjatuna101 said:
    no problem that's what we are here for glade you have found the issues and have resolved it!! don't for get to say this has a solution and pick the best answer.
    hope you don't have any more problems!

    so shocked i got so man replies and the help,thanks a lot guys,ill definitely be using this again as i often mess about with this old thing :)
  12. hahahaha like i said no problem!! ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Boot Graphics Cards Graphics