Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Ram slot question; please help

Last response: in Memory
Share
February 11, 2014 3:20:29 PM

Not sure how i do not know this...here we go:
I have a Crosshair V Formula Z with 2x4gb sticks of dominator platinum...
In cpuid, under the spd tab, it gives you info on each individual ram stick in its corresponding slot.
Thing is, when I select the first slot, nothing populates in the info pane....
same goes for the 3rd slot.
When I go to the 2nd slot, it gives me the info im looking for...same with the 4th slot.

Why is this? I do not have my motherboard manual so figuring out if i have dropped the ram in its proper slot isnt going to be easy for me to figure out.

Another thing is; I dont know why, but for some reason I feel like slots #2 & 4 on this mobo are actually slots #1 & 3...
anyways, when I went to google up some pics, I see people using the second and fourth slot almost as much as i see people using the 1st & 3rd
Hope this isnt to confusing.

Does it matter which slots i use? If i am currently using the wrong slots, then what risks have i exposed my computer to?
Been going like this for the better part of 5 months...

More about : ram slot question

a b } Memory
February 11, 2014 3:25:34 PM

Some MBs require you to use a certain slot, or pair of slots before others for best performance or best overclocking. But a pair of matching memory sticks will work in either of the A and B slot pairs.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
February 11, 2014 3:31:35 PM

It only gets confusing when ya start googling as every Manufacturer has their own standard and even within manufacturer's they change .... drop the google and look in ya MoBo manual..... page 1-9

The RAM should be in the red slots labeled A2 and B2 which are the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU going left to right.

If you only have 2 sticks in the 4 slots, I kinda don't get why you would expect the empty slots to give you information on RAM which is not there.
Share
February 11, 2014 4:41:05 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
It only gets confusing when ya start googling as every Manufacturer has their own standard and even within manufacturer's they change .... drop the google and look in ya MoBo manual..... page 1-9

The RAM should be in the red slots labeled A2 and B2 which are the 2nd and 4th slots from the CPU going left to right.

If you only have 2 sticks in the 4 slots, I kinda don't get why you would expect the empty slots to give you information on RAM which is not there.

I should have clarified by saying I googled pics of MY motherboard...not a bunch of randoms.

Why would i: "expect empty slots to give you information on ram which is not there"

cut me some slack dude. do you really think thats what i believed? lol (no disrespect)
if i have 2 dimms, i was just wondering why the info wouldnt populate in slots #1 and #2 rather than 3 and 4.

I dont start a book on page 50 only to work my way to page 1 you know?


I knew the "slots" are paired by twos....what I wasnt sure about was whether one pair was supposed to be used before the other. - Probably should of just asked that to begin with.

Clutch, your the man.
Simple, quick, and sharp response on your part.
Kudos mate!
thanks!

m
0
l
a b } Memory
February 11, 2014 5:16:08 PM

dave1642 said:

I should have clarified by saying I googled pics of MY motherboard...not a bunch of randoms.


I expected as much and wasn't suggestion you were being less than astute ..... but ya gotta wonder how many pics were from a 14 year old with his 1st build who didn't bother to RTFM ... which was why I took the trouble to download your manual, unzip it, find and point you to the correct page ... so you would have a definitive source from the peeps who built the board.

Quote:

Why would i: "expect empty slots to give you information on ram which is not there"
cut me some slack dude. do you really think thats what i believed? lol (no disrespect)
if i have 2 dimms, i was just wondering why the info wouldnt populate in slots #1 and #2 rather than 3 and 4.


If you have 2 DIMMS in 4 slots, that means two are empty. And being empty they wouldn't show any information. I reread the post to make sure ya didn't say that ya tried them in different slots and they read empty.....there was no indication that you toiook them out and tried the other slots, so I could only conclude that ya expected the MoBo to supply this info.

I think you mean 1 & 3 (A1, B1) and 2 & 4 (A2, B2) BTW.

Quote:
I dont start a book on page 50 only to work my way to page 1 you know?


Don't understand the reference

Quote:
I knew the "slots" are paired by twos....what I wasnt sure about was whether one pair was supposed to be used before the other. -


yes, page 1-9 shows that..... tho I wish manufacturers would put that in "Chapter 2 where they show ya how to install the RAM instead of Chapter 1 which most peeps skip.

My advice to peeps is.... on those three anxious days when ya stuff to rid from newegg (or wherever) on the brown truck to ya house.... d/l all ya manuals and use a yellow marker to highlight this stuff for later reference.


m
0
l
February 11, 2014 8:11:24 PM

Thanks for the help guys.
Hopefully anyone that has my question in the future will find this page with a quick google search.

To bad i cant give the best answer to more than one, but clutch had the quickest most simplified most direct answer, so I went with that.

Tradesman, you linked me to a gem of a page, so thanks for that as well mate.

But yea jack, you did go the extra mile, and I thank you for the education. Although your answer applied only to my mobo, which is what I was originally asking about, but clutch's answer can be used for many mobo's across the spectrum, so i felt his answer could help more people in the future you know?
Not sure if this all makes sense, my english is far from perfect.
But thanks again guys!
m
0
l
a c 2003 } Memory
February 11, 2014 8:21:06 PM

No worries, glad to help, there's a lot of oddball stuff out there that throws a lot of people.
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 3:35:31 PM

dave1642 said:
Thanks for the help guys.
Hopefully anyone that has my question in the future will find this page with a quick google search.

To bad i cant give the best answer to more than one, but clutch had the quickest most simplified most direct answer, so I went with that.

Tradesman, you linked me to a gem of a page, so thanks for that as well mate.

But yea jack, you did go the extra mile, and I thank you for the education. Although your answer applied only to my mobo, which is what I was originally asking about, but clutch's answer can be used for many mobo's across the spectrum, so i felt his answer could help more people in the future you know?
Not sure if this all makes sense, my english is far from perfect.
But thanks again guys!


Be sure you pick Jack as the best solution he really went out of his way for you.
m
0
l
!