Solved

3 Monitors - 2 graphics cards

Hey there,
I currently have a Radeon HD 5870 as linked below

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5870/Pages/ati-radeon-hd-5870-overview.aspx

It's currently running 2 monitors, 1 which plays games in fullscreen window mode, and the other just for internet browsing, watching movies, steam chat etc.

I want to now run a 3rd monitor. The idea being I'll play a game on one, watch a movie on the other, and have steam chat and web browsing on the 3rd. However, my card is getting pretty old and sometimes struggle to run even 2 screens without overheating.

I want to know if it's possible to get a 2nd low profile card to run the two utility monitors, while just saving my HD 5870 for games.

I was thinking of something along the lines of this:

http://www.ple.com.au/ViewItem.aspx?InventoryItemID=614286&CategoryID=674

I just want to know if you can have two different graphic cards to run something in this manner. Also, as the 2nd card is only running two monitors for movies/web browsing/chat can you recommend any cheaper cards for this purpose? The R7 250 was just something I quickly looked up.

Thanks!
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about monitors graphics cards
  1. Just so you know , you can't interact with steam / chat whilst playing a game. if you do, it will minimise the game.
  2. Best answer
    yes you defiantly can do that as long as your motherboard supports 2 graphics cards.

    guide to mulit-monitors here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-803443/eyefinity-setup-guide.html

    otherwise you can use an active display port to connect all 3 to the primary card. If you are having overheating issues i would suggest you clean the dust out of the PC and consider adding some more case fans.
  3. Jonathan Cave said:
    Just so you know , you can't interact with steam / chat whilst playing a game. if you do, it will minimise the game.


    Hey Jonathan,
    Thanks for your reply, but I've been doing this for years, so I think you may be wrong. Note that I play in fullscreen windowed mode, not normal fullscreen.

    Cheers!
  4. HugoStiglitz said:
    yes you defiantly can do that as long as your motherboard supports 2 graphics cards.

    guide to mulit-monitors here
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-803443/eyefinity-setup-guide.html

    otherwise you can use an active display port to connect all 3 to the primary card. If you are having overheating issues i would suggest you clean the dust out of the PC and consider adding some more case fans.


    Excellent, thanks HugoStiglitz. I'll check that link out as well.
  5. Arokas said:
    Jonathan Cave said:
    Just so you know , you can't interact with steam / chat whilst playing a game. if you do, it will minimise the game.


    Hey Jonathan,
    Thanks for your reply, but I've been doing this for years, so I think you may be wrong. Note that I play in fullscreen windowed mode, not normal fullscreen.

    Cheers!



    You are indeed correct if you play in windowed mode. There is software called actual multiple monitors which claims to allow you to run full-screen games whilst simultaneously being able to interact with desktop apps.

    video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqqZlAlM0AI

    i didn't ever get it working for my 3 monitor set up. (think its a direct x restriction) so it may vary by game.
  6. Jonathan Cave said:
    Just so you know , you can't interact with steam / chat whilst playing a game. if you do, it will minimise the game.


    Sorry, perhaps I should clarify, it might also be called borderless window mode.
  7. 6 & 2 x 3's fella :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Monitors Radeon Games Graphics Cards Graphics