i5 3570, GTX 770 and a 450 watt PSU

skinny_b

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Hello,

I've been doing some research and noticed that most people recommend a 550 watt to a 650 watt PSU for an i5 3570 + GTX 770 combo. For the past two months, I've been running said combo with a 430 watt Corsair CX 430. I have not had any issues at all with said configuration even though I've seen posts advising against having such a weak PSU combo'd with such powerful hardware. I'm posting here to ask if it's possible to damage my hardware using said PSU? What could happen? What kind of damage could be caused?

Thanks to anyone in advance for replying.

Solution
The CX430 delivers around 30amps on the +12v rail, which is at the lower end of what the 770 needs, but the 3570 doesn't require much at all if not overclocked/overvolted. I would recommend a better PSU, but if this is what you have now, and don't have the ability to replace it, it's not the biggest concern yet.

For reference, the 780 + overclocked 6-core i7-4930 run around 375w at full load, which is very hard to achieve unless stress testing. The CX430 supplies about 380w at 30a on the +12v rail.
1. You are probably not getting the performance you would if you have more power available.

2. If you overstress a CPU it could fail catastrophically and take half your system with it.

You are stressing it to much and it will likely fail at some point or another.

The CX430 delivers around 30amps on the +12v rail, which is at the lower end of what the 770 needs, but the 3570 doesn't require much at all if not overclocked/overvolted. I would recommend a better PSU, but if this is what you have now, and don't have the ability to replace it, it's not the biggest concern yet.

For reference, the 780 + overclocked 6-core i7-4930 run around 375w at full load, which is very hard to achieve unless stress testing. The CX430 supplies about 380w at 30a on the +12v rail.

Solution

skinny_b

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
Thank you both for such quick replies.

I very rarely have this system pushing more than 70% of its load so HiTechObsessed's comparison with the i7 and 780 makes me feel a bit relieved. I had planned on OCing the 770 in the future but I'll definitely hold off on that until I can get a better PSU.

Though far into the future, I have a dream of getting another 770 for SLI. Since I'll probably get the PSU before that, what kind of wattage should I aim for?

Yeah, like Novuake said, I wouldn't push the CPU and GPU at max, but it should be ok for the time being. Amperage if the big thing, and the 770 recommends around 30 amps at least.

A good 750-850w PSU would be perfect for SLI. If you go Corsair, get a TX or HX, otherwise stick with Seasonic, XFX or Antec.