Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

8350 + 7950 = 750w PSU?

Last response: in Components
Share
February 12, 2014 1:46:29 PM

I have an FX-8350 CPU coupled with an XFX 7950 graphics card. I use the system for gaming. I was lead to believe that a 500w PSU would be enough to power my setup, but after doing some more reading various sources say that the 8350 consumes upwards of 200w at full load while the 7950 draws 300w. Thats +500w right there, before factoring in all the other components and peripherals.

What's the reality of the situation? 500w or 750w? I don't know who to trust.

More about : 8350 7950 750w psu

a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 1:47:42 PM

750 watts would be safer.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 1:52:19 PM

The newegg psu calculator is recommending 561w. So you should get a 650w Psu. It will be enough
Share
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 1:56:30 PM

no you don't need 750w at all! You could run two gpus on one 750w.
you should pick 550-600w, im running an overclocked i5 with a 7970 Ghz edition (which is power hungry as hell) on my 550w 80+ Gold

just make sure it's 80+ Bronze/Silver/Gold from a decent company like Corsair, Seasosnic, XFX, Be Quiet! and 550-600w is enough for you.
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:06:28 PM

Well I can get a good deal on a Corsair CX750M, so I guess I'll go for that. I'll just have to return the 500w PSU I already bought.
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:07:43 PM

550W-600W will be fine, i'm running FX 8350 with R9 270X no problem. Just make sure it's a good quality PSU like Corsair, XFX or seasonic. I don't know where u got 200W from as FX 8350 is a maximum 125W and that GPU is probably never going to actually use more than 190W at one time. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/radeon-hd-7950-review-ben...
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:08:49 PM

ahmeday2012 said:
The newegg psu calculator is recommending 561w. So you should get a 650w Psu. It will be enough

The calculator on the ASUS site says the same. Looks like 500w isn't enough after all.
m
0
l
a c 1203 ) Power supply
a c 564 U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 2:11:01 PM

An FX-8350 at stock clock speed draws around 95 Watts at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector at 100% processor load. When the CPU is overclocked to 5 GHz the power draw at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector reaches 205 Watts at 100% processor load.

For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Some of the non-reference design cards will use one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

Which brand and model of 500 Watt PSU are you looking at?
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:19:30 PM

xero99 said:
I don't know where u got 200W from as FX 8350 is a maximum 125W and that GPU is probably never going to actually use more than 190W at one time


http://hardocp.com/article/2012/10/22/amd_fx8350_piledr...
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-8350-8-core-black-ed...
http://www.hardcoreware.net/amd-piledriver-fx-review-vi...

For example.



ko888 said:
An FX-8350 at stock clock speed draws around 95 Watts at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector at 100% processor load. When the CPU is overclocked to 5 GHz the power draw at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector reaches 205 Watts at 100% processor load.

For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Some of the non-reference design cards will use one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

Which brand and model of 500 Watt PSU are you looking at?


Corsair CX500M. I already ordered it.
m
0
l
a c 2321 ) Power supply
a c 873 U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 2:30:10 PM

Not a good choice , very poor power supply ^
m
0
l
a c 1203 ) Power supply
a c 564 U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 2:30:34 PM

Bizwax said:
xero99 said:
I don't know where u got 200W from as FX 8350 is a maximum 125W and that GPU is probably never going to actually use more than 190W at one time


http://hardocp.com/article/2012/10/22/amd_fx8350_piledr...
http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-8350-8-core-black-ed...
http://www.hardcoreware.net/amd-piledriver-fx-review-vi...

For example.



ko888 said:
An FX-8350 at stock clock speed draws around 95 Watts at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector at 100% processor load. When the CPU is overclocked to 5 GHz the power draw at the 8-pin EPS CPU power connector reaches 205 Watts at 100% processor load.

For a system using a single AMD reference design Radeon HD 7950 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. Some of the non-reference design cards will use one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Sufficient Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most critical factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) may require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

Which brand and model of 500 Watt PSU are you looking at?


Corsair CX500M. I already ordered it.


All of those reviews you linked to only measure total system power consumption at the AC wall outlet not CPU power consumption.

Corsair CX500M (SKU# 75-002017 / CP-9020059)
• OEM: CWT (Channel Well Technology)
• maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

That's more than enough to power your system with the CPU at stock clock speeds.
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:34:35 PM

yes those reviews aren't measuring just the CPU, as i said CPU on stock probably wont even go above 100W. Those are measuring the whole system, thats HDDs, motherboard, and even graphics card
m
0
l
February 12, 2014 2:43:14 PM

ko888 said:
Corsair CX500M (SKU# 75-002017 / CP-9020059)
• OEM: CWT (Channel Well Technology)
• maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

That's more than enough to power your system with the CPU at stock clock speeds.


So no overclocking the CPU then? I can live with that. What if I wanted to push the GPU up to around 1100mhz though? Would I still be ok?
m
0
l
a c 1203 ) Power supply
a c 564 U Graphics card
February 12, 2014 2:52:39 PM

Bizwax said:
ko888 said:
Corsair CX500M (SKU# 75-002017 / CP-9020059)
• OEM: CWT (Channel Well Technology)
• maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 38 Amps
• two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors

That's more than enough to power your system with the CPU at stock clock speeds.


So no overclocking the CPU then? I can live with that. What if I wanted to push the GPU up to around 1100mhz though? Would I still be ok?


If you can get your GPU up to that speed reliably it should be able to handle it and as long as you don't run something stressful like FurMark Stability Testing.
m
0
l
!