1600 RAM on ASUS P7H55-V

FearViper

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013
I've bought 4gb ADATA PC3-12800 as an upgrade. I was using Corsair CM3X1G1333C9 before. My motherboard is ASUS p7H55-V with core i3-530. On the mobo's website, it says that it supports freqs upto 2200.
Now when I put the new RAM alone, it doesn't even go into the BIOS. however if I put the new RAM with the old one, then it shows up in the BIOS with the correct size but Windows doesn't boot. I eve tried to boot into Linux mint with usb but it crashes the same.
In the BIOS I have options to change the RAM voltages and CAS latency. So my question is can I specify RAM settings explicitly in the BIOS to make the new RAM work. Im fine with running the new RAM at 1333 if that's the only way it will work. Thanks

jnewegger23

Distinguished
Definitely try it. Usually there's a pdf file on the asus website indicating whether your ram is on the compatible list or not. I believe your cpu is "happiest" running memory at 1066 or 1333Mhz
See spec sheet:
http://ark.intel.com/products/46472/intel-core-i3-530-processor-4m-cache-2_93-ghz
That's not to say you cannot run memory faster but it can cause instability. Hope this helps! Best of luck to you! Have fun!

Thanks,

Justin S.

FearViper

Honorable
Sep 26, 2013

I tried setting some latencies but the problem is that I cant get to the bios with just the new ram installed. I need to have the old one installed to get to the bios. I want to try raising the voltage to 1.65 but Im afraid Ill damage the old module if I do that. Without the old module I cant get to the bios to change the voltage. Any suggestions of the settings I could try based on the models of the RAMs that I have

btw I also have R9 270 installed. In some places, ppl said to troubleshoot the RAM without the card attached. Does that help?

the ram is definitely not on the compatibility list but on several forums ppl say that you should try to use the settings of the verified rams but Im still having trouble

jnewegger23

Distinguished
It's odd you can't get into bios with your current "new" ram.
Less is more when troubleshooting. Absolutely, have only the integrated graphics on and remove the gpu. Can you buy newer "new" ram? The idea is find a brand on the mobo list you like that's at 1066 or 1333Mhz stock (no manual settings needed to be changed) so that you are sure to be stable. In the mean time let go of trying to use the non-compatible ram. I wouldn't increase voltage either if your not even able to go to the bios and set the xmp files to at least auto.
Let's take a step back. When pushing a system to optimal performance I go in this order:
1. OC the cpu
2. OC the gpu
3. OC the Ram

I don't even do step 3 anymore as it's not worth the time investment vs the performance increase for me. Too many instability issues most of the time with non-factory ram settings. For others they will argue differently but I'm a busy guy, too busy for this at least. Not knocking those who do but I'm just saying.
Without being 100% sure about your other components it's difficult to be sure the root cause. I take about a week (used to be about a month) to find the ideal overclock for a new system. This includes finding the lowest voltage at the highest GHz at the lowest temps that do not crash, hang or cause artifacts by testing with prime95, unigine heaven, intel burn test and some others, after that I put it under regular use throughout the week, gaming, browsing etc. Then and only then can you start to be confident that your OC is stable. Tweaking other things before this only makes things more difficult to discern later.
Then, I push the gpu. I do play with first only the core clock, then the memory clock, and then find my 247 profile vs my benchmark profile. Once I'm happy with that, if I have time to even think about pushing my ram then maybe I'll do that. Otherwise, just buy the faster stick with the latency you'd prefer.
Also, try running only 1 stick (read the manual for which position to boot from when using only 1 stick); again less is more. What if it works with 1 stick and not the other? Then it's not that your ram's not on the compatibility list, you just have the 1 bad stick! What if the mantle driver hates your ram? Then it's not bad ram just driver related. See? Way too many variables with everything plugged in. Just plug in the 1 stick new; doesn't work, try the other new stick - doesn't work? then drop that as not compatible with this board.
Just plug in 1 stick of old ram, do not play with settings, remove 270gpu and boot up into bios and make sure use only integrated graphics. Save settings and exit to windows. Make sure your system is stable at stock (no oc). Shut down, re-install 2nd stick of old ram. Boot into windows and make sure stable. No issues, repeat with 270gpu now reinstalled. Make sure all drivers up to date. Make sure windows is up to date. Run tests if it appears stable (unigine heaven -high settings at stock gpu speeds all), intel burn test at stock cpu speed, prime 95 small form factor torture test (1hour is ok, 4hours better, 24hours is best; I just do overnight as I like to be on my cpu. ) With all this tested you are sure now those components are fine. Then start to oc in the order listed above.
Hope this clears it all up so you can enjoy your system! Have fun!