5750 crossfire question

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
Hi all
I was wondering: would I see a benefit in performance if i were to add a second 5750 GPU to my current GPU? my current GPU is in my PCI express x16 slot, while i still have an open x16 slot (that runs at x4). Would this be worth it? Also, if there is some potential value, can my rig support a second card?
Rig:
AMD phenom 2 x4 95 watt
ASUS 970 mainboard
4GB ram
5750 1GB
NZXT 550 watt PSU
Intel SSD
WD HDD
dvd drive

Solution
THIS is a fairly nice card for the price:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd77701gd5

I recommend not trying to play really demanding games. Steam has plenty of older games (some newer) that are fairly cheap, and run really well on your system with an HD7770 card.

Even HALF LIFE 2 probably would run fairly well, though like most games you'd have to TWEAK the settings for the best experience to keep frame rates high enough. Examples of tweaking goals:

a) 40FPS VSYNC OFF, or
b) 60FPS VSYNC ON

You can also user RadeonPro to force games to "Half Vsync" and run at 30FPS. I used to do that for some top-down games similar to Torchlight, Diablo 3 etc if I could get above 30FPS but not much higher and keep good quality settings...
crossfiring low end cards is a waste of time, will only introduce stuttering and you still wont have enough vram for 1080p to run games smoothly. sell the card you have and upgrade to a decent 2gb card. a 7770 is pretty cheap and can run games reasonably well on med-high detail settings. will be much much better than a 5750 anyway.

I agree with the above.

Get somewhere between an HD7770 and a GTX760 depending on your budget.

*Windows 32 or 64-bit?
If you have 32-bit Windows you should only get a 1GB video card. 32-bit Windows can only address a total of 4GB of memory locations which includes both Video and System RAM. Long story short, with 4GB installed of System RAM you have about 1.8GB left with a 2GB video card or 2.8GB with a 1GB video card.

PSU:
You also need to check what PCIe 6/8-pin connectors it supports. Some only have a 1x6-pin and others have up to 1x6 and 1x6/8-pin.

**If you want better advice on a good SINGLE card then specify:

a) 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
b) TOTAL BUDGET (to include a new Power Supply if required)

THIS is a fairly nice card for the price:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-hd77701gd5

I recommend not trying to play really demanding games. Steam has plenty of older games (some newer) that are fairly cheap, and run really well on your system with an HD7770 card.

Even HALF LIFE 2 probably would run fairly well, though like most games you'd have to TWEAK the settings for the best experience to keep frame rates high enough. Examples of tweaking goals:

a) 40FPS VSYNC OFF, or
b) 60FPS VSYNC ON

You can also user RadeonPro to force games to "Half Vsync" and run at 30FPS. I used to do that for some top-down games similar to Torchlight, Diablo 3 etc if I could get above 30FPS but not much higher and keep good quality settings.

CnC 3 runs great and it synchs to 30FPS only, no higher. FPS games however should be 40FPS minimum.

It gets VERY confusing at times. For example, VSYNC doesn't exactly synch to 30FPS if you can't maintain 60FPS. It can often toggle between the two which might show an average of 45FPS in FRAPS (or higher or lower) but the game has a stuttering that's very annoying. THAT is why I used the HALF VSYNC method. NVidia has a similar feature in its regular Control Panel that is even better called Adaptive Half VSYNC or similar. It disables VSYNC if you can't maintain 30FPS (or half the monitor's main refresh rate). You get screen tearing then but you really don't want to be toggling between 15FPS and 30FPS.

Me shut up now.

Solution

half life 2 would run on max settings on the card he currently has. with a 7770 he could play all current games, not just older games, with good detail settings with good fps. but i still reccommend a 2gb card to reduce stuttering.