Solved

Windows 8.1 Troubles

Hi,
I just built a new rig and I was trying to shift the default downloads, documents, music, pictures and videos folders from my ssd to hdd by changing the location in properties. Though after I did it for each folder, they are all now like one big folder linked to my hdd. So if I click on pictures, it will have all the exact same files etc. as it does in the documents folder and vice versa, and if i delete it in one it will delete in the other. I tried changing the folders back to their default locations, though i just get an error message. Is there any way to undo these changes?

Thanks in advance.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows troubles
  1. Best answer
    Staunch99 said:
    Hi,
    I just built a new rig and I was trying to shift the default downloads, documents, music, pictures and videos folders from my ssd to hdd by changing the location in properties. Though after I did it for each folder, they are all now like one big folder linked to my hdd. So if I click on pictures, it will have all the exact same files etc. as it does in the documents folder and vice versa, and if i delete it in one it will delete in the other. I tried changing the folders back to their default locations, though i just get an error message. Is there any way to undo these changes?

    Thanks in advance.

    Think this area is a nightmare, one huge failing by M'soft to recognise the SSD/HDD combination. I haven't figured out a way to successfully shift my personal folders off the SSD other than dragging files between folders. Hopefully someone in M'soft development will address the problem... meanwhile make a noise in their Forums...
    In fact some are reporting it's impossible to upgrade 8 to 8.1 if they've already changed locations...
  2. With Win 7 & 8, it was easy. See this tutorial:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html

    But 8.1 seems to be a different animal. I've not redirected anything yet for fear of it going wrong.
    The upgrade did not seem to respect the previous changes, but it did upgrade no problem.

    I have an 8.1 test machine that I might try it on first.
  3. dodger46 said:
    Staunch99 said:
    Hi,
    I just built a new rig and I was trying to shift the default downloads, documents, music, pictures and videos folders from my ssd to hdd by changing the location in properties. Though after I did it for each folder, they are all now like one big folder linked to my hdd. So if I click on pictures, it will have all the exact same files etc. as it does in the documents folder and vice versa, and if i delete it in one it will delete in the other. I tried changing the folders back to their default locations, though i just get an error message. Is there any way to undo these changes?

    Thanks in advance.

    Think this area is a nightmare, one huge failing by M'soft to recognise the SSD/HDD combination. I haven't figured out a way to successfully shift my personal folders off the SSD other than dragging files between folders. Hopefully someone in M'soft development will address the problem... meanwhile make a noise in their Forums...
    In fact some are reporting it's impossible to upgrade 8 to 8.1 if they've already changed locations...


    Thanks for replying. I took a disk image before i started adding all my files and adding programs etc. do you think I should just restore it from that?
  4. Staunch99 said:
    dodger46 said:
    Staunch99 said:
    Hi,
    I just built a new rig and I was trying to shift the default downloads, documents, music, pictures and videos folders from my ssd to hdd by changing the location in properties. Though after I did it for each folder, they are all now like one big folder linked to my hdd. So if I click on pictures, it will have all the exact same files etc. as it does in the documents folder and vice versa, and if i delete it in one it will delete in the other. I tried changing the folders back to their default locations, though i just get an error message. Is there any way to undo these changes?

    Thanks in advance.

    Think this area is a nightmare, one huge failing by M'soft to recognise the SSD/HDD combination. I haven't figured out a way to successfully shift my personal folders off the SSD other than dragging files between folders. Hopefully someone in M'soft development will address the problem... meanwhile make a noise in their Forums...
    In fact some are reporting it's impossible to upgrade 8 to 8.1 if they've already changed locations...


    Thanks for replying. I took a disk image before i started adding all my files and adding programs etc. do you think I should just restore it from that?

    Probably a sound idea until we can figure out the new layout. You can use your installation media and choose Repair, though I've had problems with that as well!
    Meanwhile I only have an 'Upgraded' 8.1 machine to experiment with, and the personal folders appear in 3 locations on the left panel in File Explorer:- when 'My Name' is expanded (2 links to each of Documents etcetera, when 'My PC is expanded and 'C'/Users/My Name is expanded!
    Perhaps USAF Ret will be able to throw some light on the subject if he has a clean installed machine.
    Otherwise you could also consider Restoring to a point before you tried re-locating...
  5. dodger46 said:
    Staunch99 said:
    dodger46 said:
    Staunch99 said:
    Hi,
    I just built a new rig and I was trying to shift the default downloads, documents, music, pictures and videos folders from my ssd to hdd by changing the location in properties. Though after I did it for each folder, they are all now like one big folder linked to my hdd. So if I click on pictures, it will have all the exact same files etc. as it does in the documents folder and vice versa, and if i delete it in one it will delete in the other. I tried changing the folders back to their default locations, though i just get an error message. Is there any way to undo these changes?

    Thanks in advance.

    Think this area is a nightmare, one huge failing by M'soft to recognise the SSD/HDD combination. I haven't figured out a way to successfully shift my personal folders off the SSD other than dragging files between folders. Hopefully someone in M'soft development will address the problem... meanwhile make a noise in their Forums...
    In fact some are reporting it's impossible to upgrade 8 to 8.1 if they've already changed locations...


    Thanks for replying. I took a disk image before i started adding all my files and adding programs etc. do you think I should just restore it from that?

    Probably a sound idea until we can figure out the new layout. You can use your installation media and choose Repair, though I've had problems with that as well!
    Meanwhile I only have an 'Upgraded' 8.1 machine to experiment with, and the personal folders appear in 3 locations on the left panel in File Explorer:- when 'My Name' is expanded (2 links to each of Documents etcetera, when 'My PC is expanded and 'C'/Users/My Name is expanded!
    Perhaps USAF Ret will be able to throw some light on the subject if he has a clean installed machine.
    Otherwise you could also consider Restoring to a point before you tried re-locating...


    Tried restoring to a point before I started relocating and everything seems to be back to normal. Thanks so much for replying :)
  6. Well, I remembered I have a laptop with 8.1 clean installed, so I tried re-locating Documents, Music and Pictures to an external USB (Manually as you did) as it has an SSHD instead of an SSD/HDD combo. Documents and Music transferred fine, but Pictures now has this...


    and when I Rt click 'Pictures' and choose 'Properties I get the USB Flash properties.... hopefully I'll return all to normal using Restore...
    Perhaps USAF Ret will try his method to compare...
  7. I have a clean install of 8.1 on a spare laptop. Will be trying some various methods to see exactly how 8.1 handles it.
  8. USAFRet said:
    I have a clean install of 8.1 on a spare laptop. Will be trying some various methods to see exactly how 8.1 handles it.


    Remember to set a Restore Point, I found I couldn't reverse the Pictures Folder manually....
  9. dodger46 said:
    USAFRet said:
    I have a clean install of 8.1 on a spare laptop. Will be trying some various methods to see exactly how 8.1 handles it.


    Remember to set a Restore Point, I found I couldn't reverse the Pictures Folder manually....


    This is basically a test machine, but yeah. I also have a fresh image of it just in case.
  10. OK
    So the commands and dialog boxes for 8.1 are different than 8. But it does work.

    The main thing you have to do is create target folders on the other drive first!
    Just selecting the other drive root screws up the situation, and attempts to use the whole drive.

    Create the target folders...call them anything. 1 each for Docs, Pictures, Videos, Music
    Right click, Properties, select the Location tab
    Move
    Navigate to the relevant folder you created, Select Folder
    Apply
    OK
    It asks if you want to move all the current files. Yes.

    On the target drive, it renames it to Documents. That is just the visible name. The actual 'folder' appears to still be called whatever you called it.

    And it does go back. You can undo. But in the case of selecting just the root (as it appears our OP did), that may not work.

    I'll be updating the tutorial with pics, etc later.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
  11. USAFRet said:
    OK
    So the commands and dialog boxes for 8.1 are different than 8. But it does work.

    The main thing you have to do is create target folders on the other drive first!
    Just selecting the other drive root screws up the situation, and attempts to use the whole drive.

    Create the target folders...call them anything. 1 each for Docs, Pictures, Videos, Music
    Right click, Properties, select the Location tab
    Move
    Navigate to the relevant folder you created, Select Folder
    Apply
    OK
    It asks if you want to move all the current files. Yes.

    On the target drive, it renames it to Documents. That is just the visible name. The actual 'folder' appears to still be called whatever you called it.

    And it does go back. You can undo. But in the case of selecting just the root (as it appears our OP did), that may not work.

    I'll be updating the tutorial with pics, etc later.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html

    That's exactly what I did, but I can't figure why ''Pictures' should behave the way it did. Not only did it contain the extra folders as shown, but the individual jpegs were shown as well! Anyway, I'll try again sometime to see if I made a mistake somewhere...after all. it worked fine for Docs and Music... meanwhile the upgraded 8.1 is a whole new can of worms...perhaps any relocations should have been reversed before the upgrade to achieve the perfect results, and then relocate subsequently. From what I've read elsewhere installations with relocations wouldn't complete at all, but that begs the question as to why this one succeeded, albeit with some strange results. Perhaps your tutorial should advise Upgraders to revert to default before upgrading...
  12. Here is the updated tutorial, for a clean install of 8.1:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

    I've not yet messed with my 8 upgraded to 8.1 install. It is my main box, and do not want to screw it up.
Ask a new question

Read More

Default Windows 8 Hard Drives