Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Does anybody know a cable like this?

Tags:
  • Sound
  • Gaming
  • HDMI
  • Cable
  • Headphones
  • 3.5
  • Components
  • Audio
  • 3.5mm
Last response: in Components
Share
February 13, 2014 3:27:14 AM

I need a cable/module that has a Male HDMI to Female HDMI and also has a Female 3.5mm attachment/slot that lets me use my headphones. It could also be a Female to Female HDMI, but then I would have to buy another HDMI cable.

OR

A normal HDMI cable (male-to-male) that also has a Female 3.5mm audio jack.

Basically, what I want to be able to do is listen to what is going through my HDMI cable, because my TV doesn't have an audio jack (and I don't want to get a different TV). I also don't want to get a VGA adapter because I would lose video quality.

Thanks!

More about : cable

Related resources
February 13, 2014 6:18:40 AM

There is no such cable. There may be an adapter box, but the signal in the HDMI cable is digital and the signal to your headphones is analog. You need active electronics that can pull the digital sound data off the HDMI cable and convert it to analog.

Also, if your source is DVD or Blu-Ray, the odds are that the signal is encrypted and only properly licensed hardware can convert it to audio and video.

What is your source? Streaming from computer, disc player, tapping the cosmic om? Could the source device have an audio out?

And what's the content? If it has DRM, things will be a little tighter.
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 6:33:34 AM

WyomingKnott said:
There is no such cable. There may be an adapter box, but the signal in the HDMI cable is digital and the signal to your headphones is analog. You need active electronics that can pull the digital sound data off the HDMI cable and convert it to analog.

Also, if your source is DVD or Blu-Ray, the odds are that the signal is encrypted and only properly licensed hardware can convert it to audio and video.

What is your source? Streaming from computer, disc player, tapping the cosmic om? Could the source device have an audio out?

And what's the content? If it has DRM, things will be a little tighter.


Hi, thanks for the answer.

My source would be my PS3 and soon PS4.

I did some searching and i found this (which i guess you could say is a cable), which does not require a power supply.:
http://www.knoxed.com/luxi/hdmi-audio-extractor/

However, that was too expensive so I found this, which does require a power supply.:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cablesson-HDelity-HDMI-Audio-Ex...

Both have 3.5mm stereo output.
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 8:22:01 AM

PS3 / PS4 don't have a headphone jack? Lemme look...

Be darned. It doesn't. Well, it has a line out. You can set the AV to multi-out (see http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4... ) and get output on the HDMI (to tellie) and AV cable. The PS3 will be outputting signal on all three of its output connections: HDMI, digital optical, and AV. You run HDMI to the TV as you do now and turn off the sound.

The AV cable will have left and right audio in line-out format. You would need an amplifier for the headphones, but some cheap ones should be available. Mine was $500, but I'm into finely-detailed Baroque music.

EDIT: The cheapest one I see in a quick search is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MUSE-AT-HA20-Stereo-Head... . My best guess is that your second link provides a line-out signal that still requires an amplifier before driving headphones, but it's just a guess. Ditto the first. They both refer to output to amps.
m
0
l
February 13, 2014 4:59:48 PM

WyomingKnott said:
PS3 / PS4 don't have a headphone jack? Lemme look...

Be darned. It doesn't. Well, it has a line out. You can set the AV to multi-out (see http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4... ) and get output on the HDMI (to tellie) and AV cable. The PS3 will be outputting signal on all three of its output connections: HDMI, digital optical, and AV. You run HDMI to the TV as you do now and turn off the sound.

The AV cable will have left and right audio in line-out format. You would need an amplifier for the headphones, but some cheap ones should be available. Mine was $500, but I'm into finely-detailed Baroque music.

EDIT: The cheapest one I see in a quick search is http://www.aliexpress.com/item/MUSE-AT-HA20-Stereo-Head... . My best guess is that your second link provides a line-out signal that still requires an amplifier before driving headphones, but it's just a guess. Ditto the first. They both refer to output to amps.


I considered this before finding out that the PS4 only works with HDMI, no AV. And my TV also only outputs to speakers.

Thanks for helping so much though.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
February 13, 2014 9:32:23 PM

You could go with an adapter like solution, you will need a splitter to separate the HDMI audio and visual signals (Thats compliant with HDCP, because the HDMI output on the PS4 is encoded). More than likely this will cost a decent amount.
More than likely a better option will be plugging headphones into the PS4 itself. Not sure of the process needed to do this, probably will need some kind of USB DAC, but there has to be some way of doing so as I know they advertise PS4 compatible headphones.
Share
February 14, 2014 3:52:35 AM

manofchalk said:
You could go with an adapter like solution, you will need a splitter to separate the HDMI audio and visual signals (Thats compliant with HDCP, because the HDMI output on the PS4 is encoded). More than likely this will cost a decent amount.
More than likely a better option will be plugging headphones into the PS4 itself. Not sure of the process needed to do this, probably will need some kind of USB DAC, but there has to be some way of doing so as I know they advertise PS4 compatible headphones.


Hmmmm, OK. This does not seem like it would be in my price range.

What I'm thinking about is using a Toslink cable instead as the audio output, then using a Toslink to 3.5mm converter.

Do you think that would work?
m
0
l
!