770 2gb: 1440p or 144hz TN?

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey all, I had a question and I felt like here would be the place to ask. I'm in the market for a new monitor (yay tax money!) and was looking to pump myself up to a 1440p 27". I'm looking at snagging myself a qnix (korean offbrand) for significantly less then a namebrand. For one, is it worth the risk for the potential reward?

Secondly, and more importantly, will a 770 2gb be enough to run a 1440p? I've read several reviews, and see on more high end games you can start running into some issues, but for the most part, I play MMOs (wow, wildstar when it comes out, maybe the oblivion MMO) and for the most part, I don't think their graphics are as demanding. Soooo, will this be enough to work and still play at viable frame rates, or would I be better off going with a nice high end smaller 24" 1080p display?

Thanks for the help!

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
All you will have to do is lower some of the texture qualities and such. that card can easily pump decent detail levels into that res. However, since that is a no name monitor check the response time and refresh rates and all that. it would suck if you got stuck with good res, but with shitty response that you could actually feel in gaming. Remember playing consoles on big screen tv's back in the day and occasionally today? that input lag from the controls to the screen? it would suck if you had to deal with that.

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hey all. Thanks for those quick responses. Ya I'm previously used to that and my current monitor is only 60fps anyway. And yes just mostly mmo but I also do arenas which is slightly faster paced but I play with my character from a distance so no whipping back and forth like with an fps.

The monitor said 6ms on it. I don't know what mine is and I've seen mixed reviews on how much that effects you

Crzywhiteskata

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Anyone else have any opions. I'm still depating between something like this, or a 24" TN 144hz asus or benq. But I heard that the ips panels are so much nicer to look at, without much noticeable difference in the response time. And with something like wow, not sure if the clarity of increased hertz would improve on anything.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
6ms should be fine. sometimes you run into like 10 plus ms which is when it starts to get fuzzy. IPS panels are amazing to look at except the cheap ones tend to have a bit lower picture quality. my LCD looks nicer than my IPS but i still game on the IPs cause it is that much easier to look at. those really high refresh rates arent gonna be noticeable unless you can crank out 144 fps with your set up and one 770 at 1080p or higher isnt gonna push more than 80-90 and only if the game is set low. so i wouldnt go with the 144 unless you have a much beastlier setup.

TheFluffyDog

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
also i'm currently running a 2gb 770 and at 1080p there i run everything i play on max and push an easy 50-60fps in everything. i am runni gdual monitors but i only game on one (my IPS panel). so if you have any specific questions ask away

TRENDING THREADS