Which 770 for Star Citizen

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Hey guys.

I'm trying to decide which GTX 770 to get. While I play a lot of games one of my big concerns is the upcoming star citizen.

First of all, the PNY 770 enthusiast (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133495) seems like just the best deal. I never see reviews for the PNY cards or see them in the roundups, but they get great user reviews, apparently overclock great, and absolutely demolish the competition at the register along with a lifetime warranty (something literally no other company offers). Is there anyone who has any real world experience with them that can comment?

The second question is memory. I know that 2gb is likely more than even an overclocked 770 will ever use, but I was considering getting 4gb in anticipation of SLI for Star Citizen. By the time Star Citizen full or even late beta is out the full 800 series is likely to be out....but by then I could potentially pick up another 770 4g for say 200-275. I'm not at all one who normally plans on SLI, I usually upgrade around every 2 series (500-700/ 700-900 etc) but I am very excited about this particular game, which is why I'm considering planning for the possibility of SLI. Just wondered if anyone else has thoughts.

Thanks so much for your time guys.

If you're thinking about going SLI in the future, get the 770 4GB. A pair of 770s in SLI destroys a 780, and will perform very well.

I don't particularly like PNY for GPUs, but in all honesty I have no legitimate reason to not like them lol I've just had great luck with EVGA/ASUS/MSI.

BigBAWZ

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I own a Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB and have nothing to complain about. I recommend Gigabyte to anyone! If your truly into OCing, get MSI. They have some awesome features that allow the maximum overclocking. Also, if your investing roughly $400 into a GPU get the 4GB model as it will be better on you in the long run not only for SLI.

nightshift23

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
After reading the article provided by Dashboy, and comparing the test results in that to individual reviews of the PNY card I have to say I have no idea why the PNY cards come in consistently so much cheaper. I'm going to go with the PNY, and it may end up being a wasted extra 50 bucks, but I'm going to prepare it for SLI by going with the 4gb model (I honestly don't think it will use an ounce beyond the 2gb unless it is eventually run in SLI).