$1500 gaming pc for next gen gaming, help!

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014
Hey guys,

Im building a gaming pc, or at least decided to. I want it to last a minimum of 4 years before i upgrade it. I have this so far:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2T1IX

My budget is $1600 but i can push to $1650 at max. Remember, games like watch dogs, which is next gen, recommends to hav i7, 2gb VRAM, 8 gb ram.

P.S. I need monitor, os, keyoard/mouse and headset. Im gettin a $25 dollar headset from ebay so budget goes down to $1625. Btw i also edit videos/photos and record games.

Please ask me if you need any more clarification.

Thnx

Solution

Jeremy Evans

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2T40w
You honestly can cut the price down by a lot if you vaulue saving money. You could probably get a GTX 770 4GB and SLI it which would be better for graphic reliant games. I doubt you would actually need a i7 for the game, because if you overclocked CPU and GPU a little it would definitely be good enough for any game you play. Because truthfully an I7 only increases fps by about 7 which honestly doesn't mean anything unless you want to play on rediciously high graphics which aren't all that important tbh. The Memory sticks latency is 7 instead of 9 and they are the same price. Not to mention you wouldn't have to SLI the Graphics Card until you could afford it/actually need it. With this build you can save money now and invest it later to get more power into your system. This will last 4 years+

Mate, You should Ignore Recommended settings by games. If you really want to know what is the best you should ask people like those that are in this site.

First of all, it has been proven that an I5 and an I7 are 99.9% the same when it comes to gaming (in fact in many games an I5 is better). This is of course considering overclocking.

Second, there is no "minimum upgrade cycle". Even if you buy the best of the best (like lets say 4 TITAN in SLI),If the next gen of GPUs is a significant improvment, you will notice it (there is a higher probability now than before due to next gen consoles and new upcoming Engines like unreal 4, Oxide and similar).

In general, its better to get mid-high end gear rather than high end as there is always a premium price to be paid for high end.

Overall, your Setup seems very solid.
This i Would change:
CPU I7 for a I5-4670K
Win 7 instead of Win8 (Personal preference).
Samsung HDD instead of Western Digital (For a long time ive used different HDDS in a few setups and Samsung is The best manufacturer of HDDS, while the 2 worst are WD and Seagate).
Id also Get a better PSU if you are planing to improve your PC later on and do a heavy overclock.
Last part.... and this is weird mate: A 23 inch monitor with all that horsepower?
I use a 32 inch TV for casual gaming and even thou there is an Input lag that is noticiable in tournament grade gaming, Its 5 times better than my 17 inch laptop monitor.

In general, a full HD quality is about ok for a 40 Inch. So take a look at that because maybe the 780 is too powerfull for that Monitor, or the Monitor is too small for that GPU.

Jeremy Evans

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

That CPU cooler cost more and does less.
212 Evo
600 – 2,000 RPM, 24.9 – 82.9 CFM ± 10%,9 - 36 dBA
Cooler Macho 120
600~1300RPM, 56.2CFM MAX, 24.5 dBA

The cooler macho 120 cost more, is louder and doens't provide as much cooling as the 212 Evo Which is used by almost every PC builder unless they use liquid cooling.

StarBG

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Stats are not everything the Macho is much better and the evo is louder since 36db is more than 24.5db and the evo is not that good for higher OC values. The evo is recommended because it is good for the little price, not more.

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Thnx for the build, but I think ill need i7 cause ill be multitasking a lot and video/ photo editing too. But are you sure a gtx 770 will last me? I mean, it's already dipping below 30 fps on bf4 so i think max it will last me is 1-3 years. I think 780 will last longer, but SLI in the future is actually a good idea.

Jeremy Evans

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

For video and photo editing it would be better to have MORE RAM actually 16 or 12 gigs would actually help you alot if that's what your looking for. i7's are basically the same for gaming as i5 but if you aren't planning on doing photo or video editing on a non-hobby level then i'd say stick with the i5-4670k and OC it a little and it will preform on a good level but not as great as an i7 in terms of photo and video editing. I actually read up that more than 2GB on a video card is basically useless unless your looking to use 3-4 moniters on a high HD setting with higher than average resoultion and screen size.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graphics-card-performance,3634-8.html
This right here shows you where you'd be with ultra setting on bf4 a newer and more graphic intensive game then others and the 770 with just a little below 60 fps with max settings is honestly solid. I doubt you'd need more fps like that because as long as your fps isn't lower than 40 you should be fine. Also if you decide to SLI after, you can get a increase in fps so you should get what you can afford now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2TlBa
This is what i have right now, if you want me to look more into it i can try to fix up your build. I just need more of what your planning to do on the system.

Hope this helps :)

Solution

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Well, yes, that is solid performance for a 770. But saying more than 2gb is usesless is wrong. I mean, next gen games are already demanding 2gb VRAM to run smooth, so i think ill stick to 3-4 gb. And thinking about it, i think u might be right, i looked up Crysis 3 performance with 780 vs 770 and the bag fps diff was 3-5 fps. The lowest 770 went was 24(which is a dissappointment) but it's still good enough.

Jeremy Evans

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Your right, i forgot you were looking to have a future proof build so i guess going with more GB of VRAM would be better for you. And if you OC both the CPU and GPU and then SLI i doubt you will ever have to upgrade for atleast 4-7 years tbh. You may have to get another cpu cooler or 2 in that time but other than that you should be fine if that's what your looking for.

Kakorat119

Honorable
Jan 24, 2014

Thnx for the info!