100% FX 8350 CPU causes Shut Off

Heitomos

Honorable
Feb 14, 2014
This is not a shut down, it's a complete power off. The power just turns itself off when I get this CPU to 100% for roughly a minute or so. I was wondering if it might be a problem with the CPU? Otherwise, I have an OCZ modular 1000w power supply, though, it works just fine when I stress test the GPU.

Any thoughts?

(Windows 7 64-bit. Memory tests out okay. Sometimes getting BSOD, which started after installing BitDefender, which I'm taking as a separate issue, but just in case it could be this, it's a System Service Exception. This is different from the above complete power off.)

In response to some answers, I can provide more data: ASUS 990FX is the motherboard. The CPU doesn't go above 45C, and I don't overclock it. As for the memory speed... I might have to work with that? I have DDR3 1600 RAM, but in my motherboard BIOS, it never seemed to be set to that.

If it is in fact the issue that the Motherboard just can't handle it, I'll try just keeping it cool until I can afford the new PCI EXpress 3.0 AMD motherboard, and hopefully that fixes my issue.

Solution

Mine did that when I pushed my overclock too far, but I'm assuming you're not o/c'd right? Is your memory set at the correct speed? What are your...

zielritter

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013

Mine did that when I pushed my overclock too far, but I'm assuming you're not o/c'd right? Is your memory set at the correct speed? What are your temps like under stress?

Also, like getochkn asked, your mobo could be struggling to handle the power requirements of the octo-core AMD. Some AM3+ mobos can't handle the pull when under full load.

Auto-voltages might be too high too. CPU and CPU/NB voltages could be really upping your mobo's mosfet temps if you have a low power phase board although this typically only caused mine to downclock temporarily.

Solution