Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Installing a 64bit processor with XP32bit

Tags:
  • Pentium
  • Windows XP
  • Processors
Last response: in Windows XP
February 14, 2014 1:44:27 PM

Hi folks,
I currently have a precision 380 with a pentium 3.2Ghz 32 bit. Obviously i'm running xp 32bit as well.
If i upgrade the CPU to a Pentium 960 running dual core, am i likely to get any issues when rebooting? I already have dells latest Bios A09.
Thanks for any help you can give!

More about : installing 64bit processor xp32bit

February 14, 2014 1:51:05 PM

Current 64-bit cpu's can run 64 AND 32-bit code(at the same time even).

As long as the board supports the cpu it should work.

In rare cases you need to make a slight chance in the device manager, but with any luck, you will not have to.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 1:54:47 PM

You might have problems with system level drivers and have to reinstall OS.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 14, 2014 1:57:41 PM

nukemaster said:
Current 64-bit cpu's can run 64 AND 32-bit code(at the same time even).

As long as the board supports the cpu it should work.

In rare cases you need to make a slight chance in the device manager, but with any luck, you will not have to.


Would I have any issues with XP being that its 32bit and I wouldnt be doing a reinstall (cant, bought the rig off someone and he didnt have the XP CD. :/  )?
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 1:58:26 PM

No, it's the same 32-bit instruction set. It will just stay in 32-bit mode as long as you have a 32-bit OS. Just don't expect it to address more than about 3.5GB of memory.

However, you should seriously consider a replacement system running Windows 7 at your earliest chance. Windows XP will have support ending very soon, on April 4th of this year. There is an anticipation that many hackers are reserving many known vulnerabilities for the end of support so they can hack many systems quickly without fear of a fix coming out. These days, you can find an AMD A4-5300 with motherboard for under $100 on specials about once per week, and that would be considerably faster than a Pentium D 960 at considerably less power usage. I built a whole system for my mom based on that chip for under $350 back in August.
m
0
l

Best solution

February 14, 2014 2:02:14 PM

thx1138v2 said:
You might have problems with system level drivers and have to reinstall OS.

With the exception to the cpu, all other system drivers should stay the same with the same board.

I have swapped out cpus in the past and not once did it ever cause an issue(as long as the board supported it.).
Share
February 14, 2014 2:06:42 PM

dgingeri said:
No, it's the same 32-bit instruction set. It will just stay in 32-bit mode as long as you have a 32-bit OS. Just don't expect it to address more than about 3.5GB of memory.

However, you should seriously consider a replacement system running Windows 7 at your earliest chance. Windows XP will have support ending very soon, on April 4th of this year. There is an anticipation that many hackers are reserving many known vulnerabilities for the end of support so they can hack many systems quickly without fear of a fix coming out. These days, you can find an AMD A4-5300 with motherboard for under $100 on specials about once per week, and that would be considerably faster than a Pentium D 960 at considerably less power usage. I built a whole system for my mom based on that chip for under $350 back in August.


I'll hopefully be upgrading the OS to win 7 at some point in the very near future. I was going to do the CPU upgrade first, then probably the OS, and add in a new HDD at the same time.
I'm using a BTX case (darn dells!) so cant use the new motherboards.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 2:16:01 PM

nukemaster said:
thx1138v2 said:
You might have problems with system level drivers and have to reinstall OS.

With the exception to the cpu, all other system drivers should stay the same with the same board.

I have swapped out cpus in the past and not once did it ever cause an issue(as long as the board supported it.).


This is what I was hoping to hear :)  Switching out the OS at this point in time would have been a little troublesome.
Thanks for all the help!
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 2:29:14 PM

Switching a board on the other hand could(90% of the time) cause problems.
m
0
l