Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

What ram sticks will work with my current setup?

Last response: in Memory
Share
February 14, 2014 5:35:30 PM

Hey guys,

Title says it all. I currently have a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ motherboard and a single Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (DDR3 1333 MHz) stick of ram.

Will this 2-pack work fine with my setup? And would there be another alternative that would work better? Would any 8-gig sticks work well with me current 4-gig one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, does Ram eat up enough voltage that I should be worried about my power supply, or should I be fine regardless?

Thanks, any help will be appreciated ;D
a c 921 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1721 V Motherboard
a c 2177 } Memory
February 14, 2014 5:43:13 PM

The Kingstons should be fine
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 6:27:36 PM

Tradesman1 said:
The Kingstons should be fine


Ok then, I may well get those then. But after digging up my motherboards manual, it appears that each slot can actually handle 8 gigs on my motherboard, so it'd actually be smarter for me to start getting 8 gig sticks to reduce the odds I may need to swap out my 4 gigs someday.

Could someone help me pick some good 8-gig sticks that work with my motherboard (and preferably my existing 4-gig)? If not I'll probably just go with the Kingstons ;) 

m
0
l
Related resources
a c 921 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1721 V Motherboard
a c 2177 } Memory
February 14, 2014 6:40:25 PM

Look at the GSkill Snipers or Ripjaws X in 1600/9
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 14, 2014 6:52:04 PM

your computer will run your memory at the slowest speed of any stick. That said, if you get the Kingstons, you will have 12G of DDR3 1333. if you invest in 8G sticks, you'll have 12G of DDR3 1333. Most gamers will agree, all they need is 8G of DDR3 1600, that being what is best suited for the cpu. If you go so far as to upgrade and get 8G DDR3 1600, I'd not use the 4G of DDR3 1333, your computer will be faster without it.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 14, 2014 7:02:16 PM

Oh, forgot... no, you won't need to worry about the psu, at 1.5v per stick, even 4 sticks is only @1/2 Amp... 6 watts, you'll be good.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 8:12:13 PM

A few more kingstons will save you money right now and honestly, no one needs more than 16gb ram right now.
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 9:13:37 PM

Karadjgne said:
your computer will run your memory at the slowest speed of any stick. That said, if you get the Kingstons, you will have 12G of DDR3 1333. if you invest in 8G sticks, you'll have 12G of DDR3 1333. Most gamers will agree, all they need is 8G of DDR3 1600, that being what is best suited for the cpu. If you go so far as to upgrade and get 8G DDR3 1600, I'd not use the 4G of DDR3 1333, your computer will be faster without it.


Hmm...interesting. I think I need to clarify what the different RAM terms mean, since I'm new to these things (the one in my computer is literally the first I ever bought, and I got that one in a hurry :p ). The DDR3 part is just what type of socket the stick fits in, the gigs is how much it can hold, and the 1333 (or 1600) is how fast it moves data around, right?

So if I understand correctly, since my Motherboard is listed as being able to handle "Memory Standard: DDR3 2133(O.C.)/1866/1600/1333/1066" would I actually get more bang for my buck buying one 8 gig stick with a higher speed number and just removing my current stick than I would if I got 12 gigs of my current speed?

Am I following right? Also, would you guys recommend the same "GSkill Snipers or Ripjaws X in 1600/9" as Tradesman1 recommended, or do you have your own recommendations?
Thanks guys, I really appreciate you guiding me through all these terms ;) 
m
0
l
a c 921 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1721 V Motherboard
a c 2177 } Memory
February 14, 2014 10:02:08 PM

If you want to go faster can do that also, best bet for 8GB though would be 2x4GB instead of a single 8GB stick, with two sticks you can run dual channel which can be up to a 10-15% performance increase. With your mobo, you'll want prob a 8150, 8320, 8350 or so to 1866, which is about tops for AMD CPUs
m
0
l
February 14, 2014 10:13:01 PM

Also, how important is the speed and timing? Would it be worth actually removing my 4 gig stick so it won't be slowing things down?

Also, how important is the manufacturer? Kingston's sticks don't have those big heat sinks, which I like since my Hyper 212 evo's fan is just barely above the slots.

I'm looking at a single 8 gig 1600 Kingston card, and have found a similar Ripjaw one. Would they play nice with my current motherboard and card, or should I go looking for one with different specs?



m
0
l
February 14, 2014 10:16:18 PM

Tradesman1 said:
If you want to go faster can do that also, best bet for 8GB though would be 2x4GB instead of a single 8GB stick, with two sticks you can run dual channel which can be up to a 10-15% performance increase. With your mobo, you'll want prob a 8150, 8320, 8350 or so to 1866, which is about tops for AMD CPUs


Oh, so you actually want smaller but faster cards so they can multitask better? Hadn't thought of that..

Also, you said "With your mobo, you'll want prob a 8150, 8320, 8350..." but what did these numbers mean?

m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 15, 2014 2:48:57 AM

Inquisitive Builder said:

Oh, so you actually want smaller but faster cards so they can multitask better? Hadn't thought of that..

Yes,you want to have two modules of 4gb instead of one that is 8gb which are in total the same capacity,but the two modules will work in "dual channel" .
Be sure to put them in the right slots for that,most of the times it means one slot empty in between the modules.Most of the times one channel is the two dimm slots next to each other->slot 1+2 are one channel and 3+4 are one channel.Read those numbers from the cpu out.
I've read the manual and for your board the best way to put two modules in is in slot 2+4,again from the cpu away.


Inquisitive Builder said:

Also, you said "With your mobo, you'll want prob a 8150, 8320, 8350..." but what did these numbers mean?

Those are the numbers of 8 core cpu's from amd=amd FX 8xxx series.The "1866" is the speed of the ram.
m
0
l
a c 921 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1721 V Motherboard
a c 2177 } Memory
February 15, 2014 6:51:49 AM

Yep to Vic 40, if you want to go faster DRAM will want one of the more powerful CPUs, like thos I mentioed
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 15, 2014 10:34:03 AM

On a side note, what OS windows are you using currently? Windows 32 bit only recognises 4 gigs of ram, while Windows 64 bit recognises all you have.
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 6:03:16 PM

Ok, so from what you guys are saying and from the video, is sounds like speed isn't really an issue for my humble needs after all, and that if I spent an extra $50 to literally remove my current ram and replace it with another 4 gig stick that's 1600 or 1866, I really wouldn't see a difference that was anywhere near worth the $50, right?

Assuming that this is right, would I get the most bang for my buck just leaving in my current 1333 4 gig stick and adding another of that speed or higher? Am I still following right?

Also, would I see any real difference between 8 total gigs and 12? Trying to decide if I should get a 4 gig stick or an 8 gig one.

Oh, and Karadijgne, I am running a windows 7 64-bit OS (I hate windows 8 :p )
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 6:21:43 PM

Inquisitive Builder said:
Ok, so from what you guys are saying and from the video, is sounds like speed isn't really an issue for my humble needs after all, and that if I spent an extra $50 to literally remove my current ram and replace it with another 4 gig stick that's 1600 or 1866, I really wouldn't see a difference that was anywhere near worth the $50, right?

Assuming that this is right, would I get the most bang for my buck just leaving in my current 1333 4 gig stick and adding another of that speed or higher? Am I still following right?

Also, would I see any real difference between 8 total gigs and 12? Trying to decide if I should get a 4 gig stick or an 8 gig one.

Oh, and Karadijgne, I am running a windows 7 64-bit OS (I hate windows 8 :p )


You wouldnt see any significant difference, unless you are thinking about using more powerful or sli gpu and are thinking of overclocking. Just save your money and get another 4gb stick of ram
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 7:10:44 PM

RandomUs3er said:
Inquisitive Builder said:
Ok, so from what you guys are saying and from the video, is sounds like speed isn't really an issue for my humble needs after all, and that if I spent an extra $50 to literally remove my current ram and replace it with another 4 gig stick that's 1600 or 1866, I really wouldn't see a difference that was anywhere near worth the $50, right?

Assuming that this is right, would I get the most bang for my buck just leaving in my current 1333 4 gig stick and adding another of that speed or higher? Am I still following right?

Also, would I see any real difference between 8 total gigs and 12? Trying to decide if I should get a 4 gig stick or an 8 gig one.

Oh, and Karadijgne, I am running a windows 7 64-bit OS (I hate windows 8 :p )


You wouldnt see any significant difference, unless you are thinking about using more powerful or sli gpu and are thinking of overclocking. Just save your money and get another 4gb stick of ram


Yeah, if nobody has any more information that may change my mind, I think I'll probably just not worry about the speed.

But can anyone give me a feel for if it'd be worth the extra $40 to put an 8 gig stick in the 2nd channel rather than a second 4 gig? How much might that help with games (Planetside 2, etc)?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 15, 2014 7:31:04 PM

RandomUs3er said:
Inquisitive Builder said:
Ok, so from what you guys are saying and from the video, is sounds like speed isn't really an issue for my humble needs after all, and that if I spent an extra $50 to literally remove my current ram and replace it with another 4 gig stick that's 1600 or 1866, I really wouldn't see a difference that was anywhere near worth the $50, right?

Assuming that this is right, would I get the most bang for my buck just leaving in my current 1333 4 gig stick and adding another of that speed or higher? Am I still following right?

Also, would I see any real difference between 8 total gigs and 12? Trying to decide if I should get a 4 gig stick or an 8 gig one.

Oh, and Karadijgne, I am running a windows 7 64-bit OS (I hate windows 8 :p )


You wouldnt see any significant difference, unless you are thinking about using more powerful or sli gpu and are thinking of overclocking. Just save your money and get another 4gb stick of ram

Since you have W7 64, you are good to go with just 8 gigs @ 1333, run in dual channel (probably slots 2 + 4 [count from the cpu out]) and you will see a boost in anything you do, from boot times, load times, web pages etc. Having ram @ 1866 would make a difference, but not one you'd actually be able to see after having doubled your ram anyways. So yes, sound advice is matching stick of ram, same make, model number etc would be best. Its kinda like having matched tires on your car, drives best, mismatched tires.. well that's a ride

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2014 2:12:40 AM

I doubt you will see any difference with boot/load times, webpage loads. Boot/load time depends solely on harddrive speed. Webpages depend on browser but primarily internet connection speed.

If there is a case where memory bandwidth matters, I would think it would be graphics programs. Large textures and files and manipulating those. Jpegs and all that normal jizz doesn't count. RAM is working memory after all.

'Load once and forget about it' wont be sped up at all cause all that has to be loaded from harddrive . Which is 50 times slower than RAM.
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 11:35:40 AM

mamasan2000 said:
I doubt you will see any difference with boot/load times, webpage loads. Boot/load time depends solely on harddrive speed. Webpages depend on browser but primarily internet connection speed.

If there is a case where memory bandwidth matters, I would think it would be graphics programs. Large textures and files and manipulating those. Jpegs and all that normal jizz doesn't count. RAM is working memory after all.

'Load once and forget about it' wont be sped up at all cause all that has to be loaded from harddrive . Which is 50 times slower than RAM.

Well, would it affect videogames? Main thing that comes to my mind is when I'm playing Planetside 2 and it takes a good 10 seconds after I get to a new part of the map for my frame rate to speed up, but then I'm good. But if I cover too much ground too quickly (like in a plane) I get VERY laggy, or if I point a sniper rifle's scope at somewhere too far away, it turns black for a few seconds until it loads up whatever's over there.

Also Karma, I'm noticing that my particular ram stick does not seem to be sold by itself much anymore, but I can find it in two packs. Would it be better for compatibility and price to buy a slightly different Kingston one, or to buy a two pack (12 gigs total)?

Thanks again for all your help guys :D 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 16, 2014 11:48:54 AM

Inquisitive Builder said:

Also Karma, I'm noticing that my particular ram stick does not seem to be sold by itself much anymore, but I can find it in two packs. Would it be better for compatibility and price to buy a slightly different Kingston one, or to buy a two pack (12 gigs total)?


I would buy the one stick that comes close,just make sure it is the same speed,voltage and timings
With the duo pack and 12gb's you would end up with three sticks of ram and again it running single channel.

You've used the partnr. found in the spd tab of cpu-z to find a matching stick i assume?
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 7:57:39 PM



Yep, that's the one! If you click on Newegg's link you'll see what I was mentioning in that they're out of stock, but thanks to your link I noticed I should be able to get if from Amazon for the same price :D 

Also, I keep finding myself thinking ahead that maybe I should be shooting for more that 8 gigs (MOAR POWER!!! :D ) but no one seems to think that's much of an issue. Are there any real benefits to having more than 8 gigs, or is it pretty much a waste of money right now? And in the event that I would want more before my next build, would I still be able to easily add more using my two extra slots (one of each "channel" I believe)?

Thanks :) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 16, 2014 8:37:30 PM

about the only time more memory is more power, heh, is when its used for stuff like 3d rendering, remodeling etc, when massive amounts of information are used. Because of the speed of games info now, its passed on to the gpu by things like DirectX so never really affects the full 8gigs. Anything Windows affects can usually use around 4gigs or less, with the actual running program using the rest of the memory. So in this case, as in most cases, 8gigs total RAM, used dual channel, 1600, is the 'sweet spot'. You are using 1333, its an industry standard memory, easily accepted and recommended for use with your cpu. If you aren't into the graphics design stuff like autocad or other 3d renderers, more than 8 gigs would be a waste, your computer won't really ever use it, it truly would be a waste of your money. Stick with the 8gigs of 1333 for now, and whenever you build another 8 gigs of 1600 or maybe faster would be good.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2014 9:49:57 PM

Inquisitive Builder said:
mamasan2000 said:
I doubt you will see any difference with boot/load times, webpage loads. Boot/load time depends solely on harddrive speed. Webpages depend on browser but primarily internet connection speed.

If there is a case where memory bandwidth matters, I would think it would be graphics programs. Large textures and files and manipulating those. Jpegs and all that normal jizz doesn't count. RAM is working memory after all.

'Load once and forget about it' wont be sped up at all cause all that has to be loaded from harddrive . Which is 50 times slower than RAM.

Well, would it affect videogames? Main thing that comes to my mind is when I'm playing Planetside 2 and it takes a good 10 seconds after I get to a new part of the map for my frame rate to speed up, but then I'm good. But if I cover too much ground too quickly (like in a plane) I get VERY laggy, or if I point a sniper rifle's scope at somewhere too far away, it turns black for a few seconds until it loads up whatever's over there.

Also Karma, I'm noticing that my particular ram stick does not seem to be sold by itself much anymore, but I can find it in two packs. Would it be better for compatibility and price to buy a slightly different Kingston one, or to buy a two pack (12 gigs total)?

Thanks again for all your help guys :D 


I would guess that slowdown depends on the game loading from harddrive. If that is the case, installing PS on an SSD would help a little (they are 4-5 times faster than an HDD but also comes with a pricetag).
Depends on how the devs made Planetside. How much of the textures reside in Ram memory? How much resides in GPU memory? If you are low on memory on either of those, I assume textures will be loaded from harddrive.

4 gigs of Ram on win7 is a bit low, especially for games like Planetside 2 (and MMOs in general). Considering Win7 uses roughly 1.5 gigs. To free up a little memory you can disable superfetch. Basicly it loads frequently used programs to memory, takes about maybe 200 megs of ram or more. A feature I don't really care for.
None of my 'programs' take that little memory because I mostly play games. So, waste of RAM.
Share
February 16, 2014 9:52:26 PM

Karadjgne said:
about the only time more memory is more power, heh, is when its used for stuff like 3d rendering, remodeling etc, when massive amounts of information are used. Because of the speed of games info now, its passed on to the gpu by things like DirectX so never really affects the full 8gigs. Anything Windows affects can usually use around 4gigs or less, with the actual running program using the rest of the memory. So in this case, as in most cases, 8gigs total RAM, used dual channel, 1600, is the 'sweet spot'. You are using 1333, its an industry standard memory, easily accepted and recommended for use with your cpu. If you aren't into the graphics design stuff like autocad or other 3d renderers, more than 8 gigs would be a waste, your computer won't really ever use it, it truly would be a waste of your money. Stick with the 8gigs of 1333 for now, and whenever you build another 8 gigs of 1600 or maybe faster would be good.


Ok then, I think your answer basically seals in my decision, thanks! :D 

Only parting question I have is: would I still be able to efficiently add more ram to this build later without having to remove either of my 4 gigs (effectively wasting them)? I assume those other two slots have some purpose in being there :p 
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 17, 2014 2:56:41 AM

You could indeed add more ram later if needed or wanted since you have those empty slots.That ram would also run at 1333 though,so no need to buy anything faster.Try to get the same ram again then.

With 8gb's i don't think you'll find it necessary to upgrade further.
m
0
l
February 17, 2014 1:10:30 PM

Vic 40 said:
You could indeed add more ram later if needed or wanted since you have those empty slots.That ram would also run at 1333 though,so no need to buy anything faster.Try to get the same ram again then.

With 8gb's i don't think you'll find it necessary to upgrade further.


True, but assuming that speed isn't really that much of an issue, I may hang onto these sticks for a few years and just stick them in my next motherboard to save money.
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 18, 2014 12:49:39 PM

Inquisitive Builder said:

True, but assuming that speed isn't really that much of an issue, I may hang onto these sticks for a few years and just stick them in my next motherboard to save money.

With a new motherboard it might already use ddr4.This ram wouldn't fit than.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2014 6:02:18 PM

As said above, if you are into PCs, expect to upgrade mobo, mem, CPU and GPU every 3-5 years.
Who knows if in 2 years DDR3 even exists on the market (at a resonable price).
m
0
l
February 20, 2014 12:49:28 PM

Vic 40 said:
Inquisitive Builder said:

True, but assuming that speed isn't really that much of an issue, I may hang onto these sticks for a few years and just stick them in my next motherboard to save money.

With a new motherboard it might already use ddr4.This ram wouldn't fit than.


Oh, really? I didn't realize that the plugs themselves change very often. If I'm not mistaken I think my old PC from 2003 was still using DDr3, in smaller amounts of course, so I figured ram plugs were pretty much staying the same until the next big technological breakthrough or something. Guess you learn something new every day ;) 
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
a b } Memory
February 20, 2014 7:26:45 PM

my kids computers are from 2005 and are using 1G 533 ddr2 (if I remember that right), but yes, if you want to stay 'mainstream' then you'll need upgrades. Its why you see complete builds for $300 or less. Of course the tech is 10 years old and they are trying desperately to get rid of old stock.
m
0
l
!