Fx-8320: debating if it's worth it

Omerom12

Honorable
Feb 12, 2014
I'm building a new computer for budget gaming, but also ,Microsoft office, streaming movies and the like. It needs to be able to do normal tasks.
I'm thinking of getting a fx-8320 and over locking.
A lot of threads say the i5 is better for everything but games and video editing.
I'm on a budget and my build is:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2SGQV

Any suggestions on the CPU will be awesome thanks

Solution
The FX 8320 plus that cooler shoots it up to around already $180 for that CPU solution, which is up there with the Haswell i5s and not far from the i5-4570.

You are going to save more money if you just get an i5-4570 with an H87 motherboard. Yes, I know it cant be overclocked but the 8320 is going to have to be bumped up around 1GHz from its stock frequencies to compete with the 4570.

The 8320, despite what everyone else says, the 8320's value is best held when you don't overclock because you are going to end up in the i5's price territory anyway with just an aftermarket cooler, even ignoring out the added cost from a cheap 970 motherboard to a good OC 990FX motherboard.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
The FX 8320 plus that cooler shoots it up to around already $180 for that CPU solution, which is up there with the Haswell i5s and not far from the i5-4570.

You are going to save more money if you just get an i5-4570 with an H87 motherboard. Yes, I know it cant be overclocked but the 8320 is going to have to be bumped up around 1GHz from its stock frequencies to compete with the 4570.

The 8320, despite what everyone else says, the 8320's value is best held when you don't overclock because you are going to end up in the i5's price territory anyway with just an aftermarket cooler, even ignoring out the added cost from a cheap 970 motherboard to a good OC 990FX motherboard.

Solution

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
Then you would have to spend even more $ to go from an i5-4570 to a i5-4670k, a h87 to a z87, and then an aftermarket cooler. That alone can easily cost $80 just for a few FPS while sacificing quietness, heat, and power consumption

Quietness? Why buy a processor you have to oc just to be at stock speeds of something like the 4670k? At that point to surpass it you are having to put a hefty oc to be faster. Not saying the 8320 is a bad choice but at a 180 price point I think the extra $ is worth it for something like the 4670k.

TheRevo

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
if your on a budget, your much better of with the FX8320. for $150 you get a pretty good chip, i have one in my system and if you have a fairly decent After market cooler it is pretty easy to reach the speed of the FX8350 or maybe even higher. I risked trying to OC with the stock cooler and managed to get it to 3.85GHz with no problems.

Also the i5 will be at least $60 more and there wont be that much of an increase in most games seeing as alot of games now days are mostly GPU intensive...

if you do have the extra budget though, i would always put any spare cash towards the GPU for any Gaming build, but thats my preference.

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Either processor is going to be fast in their own regard. My 8320 takes everything a throw at it with ease. I have mine overclocked 24/7 @ 4.3, 4 monitors, cable card tuner, 4 drives, & 3x eyefinity gaming is no problem. The AM3+ socket had an inherent great value prop for upgrade but that appears it may be coming to an end.

satyamdubey

Distinguished

Consider the above. Debating whether the 8320 can compete with haswell i5's is not worth it as far as gaming and the other stuff that you are going to do are involved.

Were you going for a rendering/3d modelling machine and the "time to render" was of great importance and if those were the only two choices you had, i5 would have been the solution.

When people suggest that the 8320 will be slower than the i5 in gaming, they seldom realize that for a 60Hz monitor which you would likely have, a difference between 100 fps (i5) and 70-80 fps (8320) would not matter one bit.

Toms had an article a while back where they conclusively showed that neither an 8350 nor a Sandy Bridge i7 could push a top end crossfire solution to it's limits.

You are good to go with an 8320 for your intended machine use.

-Satyam

odin6786

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
Hi i just wanted to add that i completed my own build last night, which consists of an FX-8320 with a Noctua NH-D14 cooler. I originally thought the temps were very high still and wondering if i did something wrong or if it was a problem with my CPU, but a super-cool user named getochkn has helped me better understand my temps and pointed me in the direction of reading it properly. I am now so pleased with my build, and the CPU of course contributes to that.

So the point of this post, is that i am a new FX-8320 and i like it!

bjaminnyc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

+1^^^^

I believe an important consideration is the investment necessary for a perceivable difference in performance. Like 99% of the people in these forums, I consider upgrading far too regularly. By my estimation I would need to invest >$2k to improve performance in a significant enough way for me to appreciate it. Therefore, at this point the 8320 is a killer bargain. I can pin it at 100% encoding, watch HD TV via CC Tuner, surf web, and MS Office stuff all running without any noticeable lag.