Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

i7 4770k first time OC'ing Intel

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 7:32:35 AM

Hey guys, I just sidegraded I guess from the 8350 and a Sabertooth board to the 4770k and an Asus Formula ROG board. I am very happy with the purchase and have noticed much higher "lows" in games, much smoother gameplay and I am rendering faster as well. Very pleased.
Now I want to overclock, I watched a few guides and I had my 8350 at 4.6ghz so I am not "new' to overclocking but this is my first intel build. I started at 1.2v and tried to boot in at 4.6ghz, I was able to post and get into Windows but I launched IBT and as soon as pass 1 started BSOD. Fine though, I backed off to 4.4ghz at 1.2v, booted, ran IBT to 5 passes at Maximum and failed. I have upped voltage to 1.21v and am on pass 8 of 10 right now on a quick IBT test. My problem is temps, I'm running an h100i on it with 2 Noctua NF-F12's (rad fans) and I'm getting temps up to 90c in IBT on cores and 78c at the CPU socket. Is this too high, I really don't have much of an idea on where my thermal's should be for this chip, I'll tell you if this was my AMD chip I'd be freaking out but I've seen on many forums poeple going to 100c, so what is the general consensus, I clearly don't have any headroom do I? Thanks guys.

(Wanted to add that I only reach 90c on two cores, the other two never go above 83c or so, found that odd. I'm using HWMointor and Realtemp to match temps)

More about : 4770k time ing intel

a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 7:53:37 AM

chrisafp07 said:
Hey guys, I just sidegraded I guess from the 8350 and a Sabertooth board to the 4770k and an Asus Formula ROG board. I am very happy with the purchase and have noticed much higher "lows" in games, much smoother gameplay and I am rendering faster as well. Very pleased.
Now I want to overclock, I watched a few guides and I had my 8350 at 4.6ghz so I am not "new' to overclocking but this is my first intel build. I started at 1.2v and tried to boot in at 4.6ghz, I was able to post and get into Windows but I launched IBT and as soon as pass 1 started BSOD. Fine though, I backed off to 4.4ghz at 1.2v, booted, ran IBT to 5 passes at Maximum and failed. I have upped voltage to 1.21v and am on pass 8 of 10 right now on a quick IBT test. My problem is temps, I'm running an h100i on it with 2 Noctua NF-F12's (rad fans) and I'm getting temps up to 90c in IBT on cores and 78c at the CPU socket. Is this too high, I really don't have much of an idea on where my thermal's should be for this chip, I'll tell you if this was my AMD chip I'd be freaking out but I've seen on many forums poeple going to 100c, so what is the general consensus, I clearly don't have any headroom do I? Thanks guys.

(Wanted to add that I only reach 90c on two cores, the other two never go above 83c or so, found that odd. I'm using HWMointor and Realtemp to match temps)


Those temps are way too high for a 4770K and h100i. Makes sure you have the heatsink/pump seated correctly...and check to make sure your dual fans (on radiator) are in proper push-pull. If theyre blowing at each other theyre trapping heat and being counter productive.

Regarding your OC, I'd recommend an incremental OC with testing each time (increase by 1, run test). With the cooling issue addressed above (if thats the culprit), youll hit 4.5+ no issues. If thats not the case, there may be something wrong with the chip.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 8:08:45 AM

I reseated the h100i waterblock twice, still same temps and even rechecked fans, still same temps when I stress test. When I benchmark using Cinebench or play BF4 at ultra I'm never above 65c. I finished running IBT ans passed at max so my cpu is stable 1.21v at 4.4ghz but just stayed around 89c on cores during stress tests. I'm running 1866 ram I don't know if the higher clock is stressing the IMC too much and generating too much heat during stress testing because I'm using so much RAM during that time. Oh also, I only have 2 fans on the H100i, using a pull setup. 2 Noctua NF-F12's they are static pressure fans, kept my 8350 very cool.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 8:14:43 AM

chrisafp07 said:
I reseated the h100i waterblock twice, still same temps and even rechecked fans, still same temps when I stress test. When I benchmark using Cinebench or play BF4 at ultra I'm never above 65c. I finished running IBT ans passed at max so my cpu is stable 1.21v at 4.4ghz but just stayed around 89c on cores during stress tests. I'm running 1866 ram I don't know if the higher clock is stressing the IMC too much and generating too much heat during stress testing because I'm using so much RAM during that time. Oh also, I only have 2 fans on the H100i, using a pull setup. 2 Noctua NF-F12's they are static pressure fans, kept my 8350 very cool.


When you reseated the block, did you apply new thermal paste? I would clean it and apply some aftermarket paste/compound. BTW: your temps on Cinebench and BF4 seem good, maybe I'd just leave it at 4.4ghz...still a great frequency.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 9:03:28 AM

toddybody said:
chrisafp07 said:
I reseated the h100i waterblock twice, still same temps and even rechecked fans, still same temps when I stress test. When I benchmark using Cinebench or play BF4 at ultra I'm never above 65c. I finished running IBT ans passed at max so my cpu is stable 1.21v at 4.4ghz but just stayed around 89c on cores during stress tests. I'm running 1866 ram I don't know if the higher clock is stressing the IMC too much and generating too much heat during stress testing because I'm using so much RAM during that time. Oh also, I only have 2 fans on the H100i, using a pull setup. 2 Noctua NF-F12's they are static pressure fans, kept my 8350 very cool.


When you reseated the block, did you apply new thermal paste? I would clean it and apply some aftermarket paste/compound. BTW: your temps on Cinebench and BF4 seem good, maybe I'd just leave it at 4.4ghz...still a great frequency.


Yeah, I reapplied the thermal paste each time and tried 2 different pastes, Arctic MX-4, and Noctua's NT-H1, both similar temps, my system is nice and stable at low voltage and good temps with everything but stress tests... too bad no thermal headroom, because I feel like this chip could go further but I won't. You think I'm safe here? My idle temps are 29c-33c right now.

Any other opinions?
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 9:20:59 AM

Are you running the fans on your radiator as intake or exhaust? I don't actually know how much of a difference it makes, cause I have my h100i set as intake since the beginning, but it might help you... I haven't OCed yet, so can't really help you there.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 15, 2014 9:22:58 AM

In3rt1a said:
Are you running the fans on your radiator as intake or exhaust? I don't actually know how much of a difference it makes, cause I have my h100i set as intake since the beginning, but it might help you... I haven't OCed yet, so can't really help you there.


Exhaust, I just figured, heat rises and I have to vent out of the top, running a Fractal Design R4.
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 9:26:05 AM

Try switching to intake, that is what corsair recommends in their instruction pamphlet. I have my fans placed on the top of the rad in my haf x intaking and I get 27-32c idling and never above 65c on 100% load.
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 147 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
February 15, 2014 9:32:53 AM

90*C. on IBT is perfectly normal for Haswells. IBT stresses the CPU more than any other program, in my experience. Cinebench, BF4 and idle temps all look fine.

Bottom line: you're safe at current settings.

Yogi
Share
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2014 5:14:16 AM

In3rt1a said:
Try switching to intake, that is what corsair recommends in their instruction pamphlet. I have my fans placed on the top of the rad in my haf x intaking and I get 27-32c idling and never above 65c on 100% load.


I so badly do not want to pump that much dust into my case, maybe I can get a dual 120mm filter. It makes sense, because the ambient temp of the air passing over the rad would be cooler than the air that intakes from the front and mixes with heat from GPU, Mobo, RAM, etc. how is dust buildup in your case?

m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2014 5:14:59 AM

Y0GI said:
90*C. on IBT is perfectly normal for Haswells. IBT stresses the CPU more than any other program, in my experience. Cinebench, BF4 and idle temps all look fine.

Bottom line: you're safe at current settings.

Yogi


Ok great thanks, that makes me feel better. Now to optimize so I can achieve better temps hopefully.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2014 2:02:09 PM

chrisafp07 said:
In3rt1a said:
Try switching to intake, that is what corsair recommends in their instruction pamphlet. I have my fans placed on the top of the rad in my haf x intaking and I get 27-32c idling and never above 65c on 100% load.


I so badly do not want to pump that much dust into my case, maybe I can get a dual 120mm filter. It makes sense, because the ambient temp of the air passing over the rad would be cooler than the air that intakes from the front and mixes with heat from GPU, Mobo, RAM, etc. how is dust buildup in your case?



I agree...I cant imagine an intake configuration helps temps enough to justify (IMO) a poorly designed thermal flow...front intake and top mounted 120's forcing air to the motherboard.

I'd say Y0GI is right, ive never used IBT so 90C made me think something was off...
m
0
l
February 16, 2014 2:54:43 PM

Dust buildup actually isn't that bad for me, especially considering that I have my pc on carpet w/ a boatload of animals, but I understand your concern. I don't have experience with IBT either, so I would recommend stress testing with Intel extreme Tuning utility instead to see if you're safe with your temps, you can do memory + cpu stress tests at 100% load for however long you want.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2014 4:30:04 AM

Yea, I agree Toddy, after doing more research seems like Haswell's are typically running this hot with IBT, so I think Yogi was spot on.

I will try Intel Extreme tuning as well Inert, thanks! I also wanted to just thank all three of you, I know I can only give best answer to one but all three of you helped me to verify my overclock was at least safe and you all gave great insights. I love Tom's, so much help from people who all have their own experiences and know PC's. Thanks again the 3 of you, I'm gonna sit at 4.4ghz, this thing is wrecking any game and benchmarks and rendering like a beast, so happy I went Intel now. Take care everyone!
m
0
l
a c 147 K Overclocking
a b å Intel
February 17, 2014 5:51:14 AM

You're quite welcome, Chris! Glad that it is working so well for you!

Yogi
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
a b å Intel
February 17, 2014 8:36:17 AM

Yeah IBT pushes temps far higher than games or Prime95!

You could always put run your H100i with another 2 fans in push-pull? Linus managed to get significant improvements with this. I have a H55 on my graphics card, so I will try push/pull on that at some point.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2014 9:27:49 AM

RobCrezz said:
Yeah IBT pushes temps far higher than games or Prime95!

You could always put run your H100i with another 2 fans in push-pull? Linus managed to get significant improvements with this. I have a H55 on my graphics card, so I will try push/pull on that at some point.


Yea, I tried to run 4 fans, but the armor on the high profile Corsair Dominator heatsink makes it too tight to run all 4 (Using a Fractal Define R4), can only fit a 3rd so I didn't bother. Too bad. I love the ram though and @4.4ghz right now and my temps never over 65c I'm ok.
m
0
l
February 18, 2014 12:28:34 AM

Glad I could help Chris, enjoy the OC :D 
m
0
l
!