Solved

i5 2500 CPU auto shut off due to high heat - has this damaged the CPU? (due to Incorrect stock fan installation)

Hi - I installed an i5 2500 with the stock fan, which is the 'push lock' type of fan that you have to push into the motherboard.

It seems that this doesn't fit in my motherboard - which has screws for a screw mount cooler.

When I first tried to mount it - I thought I had done it properly - only to find the PC randomly shutting down.

Initially I thought it might be the drivers, so I turned the PC on about 5-6 times, and each time it would shutdown either while booting, or at the windows login screen.

Then I realised that it probably a heat issue - and installed a screw mount cooling fan with some thermal paste. The PC now stays on, and does not randomly shutdown.

My question is:

Have I damaged my CPU by doing this? Or is this unlikely to have damaged it? Is there anyway for me to run some kind of diagnostic program to test if I have damaged the CPU?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 2500 cpu auto shut due high heat damaged cpu due incorrect stock fan installation
  1. There is no way to test if your CPU has been fried other than stress-testing it. After installing your cooler correctly, run the Prime95 Torture Test and monitor temps with CPU temperature monitoring software. Since your CPU wasn't doing anything strenuous, I would guess (don't quote me on this) that it's still fine. Also, tell us your FULL specs (this will help us out).
  2. L24LAW said:
    There is no way to test if your CPU has been fried other than stress-testing it. After installing your cooler correctly, run the Prime95 Torture Test and monitor temps with CPU temperature monitoring software. Since your CPU wasn't doing anything strenuous, I would guess (don't quote me on this) that it's still fine. Also, tell us your FULL specs (this will help us out).

I worry about running stress test programs as I hear that they themselves can damage CPUs? If there aren't any obvious symptoms of CPU damage then I guess I'll just have to live with it and hope that nothing bad happened :(
  3. lol stress tests will not damage your cpu. you'll be fine. They were made to test whether your cpu can handle load, if they damaged the cpu they will be pointless! It is the only way to tell if you have damaged your cpu
  4. Yep, Hook's right. CPU Stress tests will NOT damage your CPU, they're designed to push it to its limits. If you run Prime95 and your computer doesn't randomly shut off or blue screen, you're in the clear. I recommend running it for about 30 minutes - 2 hours. So when you leave for school/work just run the program.
    P.S. How much was that i5-2500K?
  5. L24LAW said:
    Yep, Hook's right. CPU Stress tests will NOT damage your CPU, they're designed to push it to its limits. If you run Prime95 and your computer doesn't randomly shut off or blue screen, you're in the clear. I recommend running it for about 30 minutes - 2 hours. So when you leave for school/work just run the program.

It cost about £170 - bit annoying having to pay that much for an outdated processor - but I hear that it's still a pretty good processor.

I don't really know how Prime95 works - how exactly will it help me identify if there is heat damage to the CPU?

If it randomly shuts off - that's probably because it just overheated the CPU - which could happen even if there was nothing wrong with the CPU (it would be a cooling issue).

I'm just worried about anything that has the word 'stress' in it :P
  6. Also, after some more research - it seems that heat damage is a gradual thing - in that it gradually reduces the total life expectancy of the CPU, rather than causing any sudden failures.

I'm interpreting this as indicating that the CPU will work perfectly and then suddenly stop working - rather than a drop off in performance.

It seems that the main challenge most people face is keeping the temperature down while they 'overclock' or overwork the CPU outside of stock operating temperatures.

So the fact that the computer is running fine probably indicates that I have not damaged the CPU - at least in the short term?
  7. Shokti said:
    L24LAW said:
    Yep, Hook's right. CPU Stress tests will NOT damage your CPU, they're designed to push it to its limits. If you run Prime95 and your computer doesn't randomly shut off or blue screen, you're in the clear. I recommend running it for about 30 minutes - 2 hours. So when you leave for school/work just run the program.

It cost about £170 - bit annoying having to pay that much for an outdated processor - but I hear that it's still a pretty good processor.

I don't really know how Prime95 works - how exactly will it help me identify if there is heat damage to the CPU?

If it randomly shuts off - that's probably because it just overheated the CPU - which could happen even if there was nothing wrong with the CPU (it would be a cooling issue).

I'm just worried about anything that has the word 'stress' in it :P

You should have followed my link for one for £110, that I put in your thread ;)

The CPU will be fine, Intel has superb thermal protection.

Basically Prime95 throws difficult calculations at the CPU, if there is any problem with it, Prime will tell you that one of the cores has errored. Chances are, that if your temps are fine now (have you checked?) then it will be fine :)

8. You should have followed my link for one for £110, that I put in your thread ;)

The CPU will be fine, Intel has superb thermal protection.

Basically Prime95 throws difficult calculations at the CPU, if there is any problem with it, Prime will tell you that one of the cores has errored. Chances are, that if your temps are fine now (have you checked?) then it will be fine :)

Your tip was much appreciated! I just wasn't too keen on buying one secondhand - and I think the £110 one was a second hand one on Ebay? I'm sure it would've been fine - but I wanted to minimise chances of component faults as this is my first bit of PC tinkering!

CPU temperatures - how do most people monitor CPU temperatures? Is there a popular program for this?

Since I installed the screw-on cooler with some thermal paste, the PC no longer randomly shuts down. Also, the fan seems to run quietly and when I put my hand next to it (the CPU fan) it doesn't seem to give off much, if any, heat - so I'm assuming that's a good sign?
  9. Best answer
    Yeah thats fair enough.

I use a program called CoreTemp, its free to download.
  10. Great, thanks for all the replies guys!
Ask a new question

Read More

Fan Intel i5 Motherboards CPUs