Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Right side panel is WARM of my tower case around CPU area when gaming! IS THIS NORMAL?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
February 15, 2014 12:25:44 PM

Case: Fractal design R4 http://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define...
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
CPU: fx-8320
CPU Fan: Hyper 212 evo

When i am gaming, the temperatures of my cpu, mobo and gpu increase but stay at expected temperatures.
CPU: 45-55 degrees
GPU: 60-65 degrees
Mobo: 30-35 degrees.
These are normal temperatures right? (HWmonitor)

So basically i have noticed that when i touch my right side panel of the tower case, at the top right corner where the CPU is inside, the panel is quite warm - it is NOT hot like you can't touch it for long, you could keep your hand on the panel forever.

However, the side panel is cold everywhere else, it's just the top right corner of the right side panel.

I'm just assuming that it's because the cpu has a high temperature some of the heat reaches the side panel, BUT should it be doing this? Is this normal?

But when i'm not gaming or doing anything intensive, like browsing the web or watching a movie, the side panel is cold everywhere or just very faintly warm in that area, (top right corner where the cpu would be inside). Also I just built this pc with a friend a few weeks ago, if that means anything.

Please give any response, quite worried here :(  - Thanks, you guys are awesome!

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
a c 380 à CPUs
February 15, 2014 12:31:17 PM

That's completely normal. Don't worry about it.
Share
February 15, 2014 12:37:26 PM

ewok93 said:
That's completely normal. Don't worry about it.


Thanks bro you are awesome! ;) 
But what about your or any of your friends' or families' PC case side panel, is it experiencing the same things when gaming or when used intensively? Yh i'm a bit paranoid - ha.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 380 à CPUs
February 15, 2014 12:40:39 PM

Yeah, most do that. Mine would but my case has a good gap between the components and side panel for cable management. There is 130+ degree Fahrenheit air flowing around in there, it's going to get warm. It does sound like an exhaust fan would help you though, what is your current airflow setup?
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 1:09:43 PM

ewok93 said:
Yeah, most do that. Mine would but my case has a good gap between the components and side panel for cable management. There is 130+ degree Fahrenheit air flowing around in there, it's going to get warm. It does sound like an exhaust fan would help you though, what is your current airflow setup?


I'm just using the two stock fans that came with the case, 120mm i think, the images on this link http://tinyurl.com/oxcn4s9 will show you where the fans are, plus all the fans that are with the components. As the images do show, there is potential for more fanes to be added to the top and the other side panel. Do you think adding more case fans is a good investment? Though the sound of my pc would increase.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 380 à CPUs
February 15, 2014 1:25:33 PM

The sound doesn't increase if you don't get louder fans. They help immensely. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... These are the ones that come stock in your case, and while they are good fans, you can get better for cheaper. Luckily your case supports 140mm fans, which are quieter while pushing more air. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... These are slightly quieter, so the noise level will not go up, but they push a bit more air, so you can just get two of those, and have one exhaust in the top, one exhaust in the back, and intakes on the front and side. Ideally you want two intakes in the front, two exhausts in the top, one in the back, an intake on the side, and an intake on the bottom, but that would mean buying 5 fans. Generally I recommend at least 3 fans.
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 1:41:11 PM

ewok93 said:
The sound doesn't increase if you don't get louder fans. They help immensely. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... These are the ones that come stock in your case, and while they are good fans, you can get better for cheaper. Luckily your case supports 140mm fans, which are quieter while pushing more air. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... These are slightly quieter, so the noise level will not go up, but they push a bit more air, so you can just get two of those, and have one exhaust in the top, one exhaust in the back, and intakes on the front and side. Ideally you want two intakes in the front, two exhausts in the top, one in the back, an intake on the side, and an intake on the bottom, but that would mean buying 5 fans. Generally I recommend at least 3 fans.


Thanks! Really helped!
But do you think me having a 500w PSU would be a problem adding in more fans? its the corsair CX500.
Here is my parts list http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2TNaY
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 380 à CPUs
February 15, 2014 1:45:45 PM

Eek, that's pretty low, I'm surprised you're running what you have with that.
m
0
l
February 15, 2014 2:03:20 PM

ewok93 said:
Eek, that's pretty low, I'm surprised you're running what you have with that.


lol - yh i thought it was low too, i'll probably change it next year. my friend has the same psu but with the gtx 770 and a more expensive asus mobo. I had it delivered and opened it and then i realized that a bigger wattage psu would have been way more sensible. But my friend (who built it with me) says it's fine and so have others on the forum but saying bigger would be better.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
a c 380 à CPUs
February 15, 2014 2:18:44 PM

Yeah, it's safe, but a bit low.
m
0
l
!