Solved

What PSU brand/wattage should I buy?

I'm planning to build
i7 4770 LGA 1150
Gigabyte G1 sniper m5 LGA 1150
Corsair Hydro 100
R9 290x Tri-x

this build includes 1SSD,1HDD, and 4 RAM sticks

looking forward for some suggestions :)
29 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about psu brand wattage buy
  1. Made by the best SEASONIC , and plenty of power to spare.

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $64.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-15 15:57 EST-0500)


    A Radeon R9-290X needs at least 33 amps on the 12v rail and a 600w power supply.
  2. Just ran a PSU calculator, your minimum is about 483 watts. I'd look for a 600w PSU just to be safe. You plan on CFX in the future? I'd go 800w in that case.

    Best brands are: Corsair, Seasonic, CoolMaster, Rosewill

    Just my 2 cents...get a high efficiency unit (Silver or better)
  3. toddybody said:
    Just ran a PSU calculator, your minimum is about 483 watts. I'd look for a 600w PSU just to be safe. You plan on CFX in the future? I'd go 800w in that case.

    Best brands are: Corsair, Seasonic, CoolMaster, Rosewill

    Just my 2 cents...get a high efficiency unit (Silver or better)


    I tried 2 PSU calculator
    I calculated the wattage needed the result was 650watts and the other one is 711watts
    so I am thinking of buying AX 860 with or without i? or seasonic 800+ watts
  4. A 650w is way more than enough for your specs.

    PSU calculators aren't accurate , way over estimate wattage.


    High efficiency HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE.
  5. If you want a ton of extra power at a steal of a price.

    This unit is made by SEASONIC.


    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    Power Supply: Cooler Master V1000 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    Total: $169.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-15 16:14 EST-0500)


    Tier 1 Brands - The Most Powerful And Stable Components On The Market.

    Antec Signature
    Antec High Current Pro -1200w
    Antec HCP Platinum 1kW
    Cooler Master V series 700, 850, 1kW
    Corsair AX
    Enermax Galaxy
    Enermax Revolution
    EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W and 1300W
    Kingwin Lazer Platinum
    PCP&C TurboCool
    PCP&C Silencer Greater than 610 watt
    Sapphire Pure
    Seasonic X-Series
    Seasonic S12D/M12D
    Silverstone ZF (Etasis 85/75/56)
    Seventeam ST Greater than 600w (SSI, V2.91)
    Silverstone OP/DA Greater than 700 watt
    Silverstone ZM
    Ultra X3 Greater than 1000 watt
    XFX Black Edition
    XFX XXX Edition
    Zippy/Emacs SSL
    Zippy/Emacs GSM
    Zippy/Emacs PSL
    Zippy/Emacs HG2
    Zippy/Emacs HP2
  6. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    A 650w is way more than enough for your specs.

    PSU calculators aren't accurate , way over estimate wattage.


    High efficiency HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMANCE.


    but the required wattage of R9 290x is 750watts so do i need to go 750w or higher? i have budget for higher wattage so im just getting the best solution for this because i am confused at the moment
  7. A Radeon R9-290X needs at least 33 amps on the 12v rail and a 600w power supply.

    The wattage isn't the key the 12 volt rail is.
  8. I agree with Blackbird, you don't need so much power but if you want it that Cooler Master is a good psu. Since you are getting a 4770 (non k series) I assume you are not interested in overclocking, which means you won't need a ton of power. You can also use a Cooler Master Hyper Evo to cool your cpu instead, save you some cash over the h100i. Might even use the savings to jump into a 4770k.
  9. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    A Radeon R9-290X needs at least 33 amps on the 12v rail and a 600w power supply.

    The wattage isn't the key the 12 volt rail is.


    can you explain more? im still confused sir thanks :)
  10. The amps on the 12v rail is what is crucial to powering your card and specs.
  11. The SEASONIC 650W is plenty for your specs but if you want all the room in the world for upgrades grab the V1000.
  12. http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=344

    v1000 ^
  13. ekagori said:
    I agree with Blackbird, you don't need so much power but if you want it that Cooler Master is a good psu. Since you are getting a 4770 (non k series) I assume you are not interested in overclocking, which means you won't need a ton of power. You can also use a Cooler Master Hyper Evo to cool your cpu instead, save you some cash over the h100i. Might even use the savings to jump into a 4770k.


    yep not interested in OC yet. hmm you got a point there. but im interested in h100i because the temp. here in my location is 36 to 38 Celsius. i tried air cool but cheaper version of hyper evo.
  14. Best answer
    Here's a couple of links for the tri-x oc and it's power consumption under load. As you can see that card will draw max of ~350W under heavy load, add system load under extreme circumstances and you will still be well under 600W total.

    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290-tri-x-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/30/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-4.html
  15. ekagori said:
    Here's a couple of links for the tri-x oc and it's power consumption under load. As you can see that card will draw max of ~350W under heavy load, add system load under extreme circumstances and you will still be well under 600W total.

    http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290-tri-x-oc-review-1600p-ultra-hd-4k/30/
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-290-and-290x,3728-4.html


    so probably i just need 650w to 750w PSU? or 750w would solve my confusion?
  16. 650W IS PLENTY but 750w won't hurt.
  17. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    650W IS PLENTY but 750w won't hurt.


    so i can do 650 or 750 to be sure?
  18. 650w is more than enough , but if it makes you feel more comfortable get a 750w.
  19. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    650w is more than enough , but if it makes you feel more comfortable get a 750w.


    cool :D thanks sir :)
    ohhhh btw what brand you prefer?
  20. +1^^... To answer your AMP question to the best of my abilities. An AMP is a measure of the "flow of electrical charge per second" a device can output at a given time, which in essence it allows you to know how much continuous power a psu can sustain under it's 12v rail. To calculate it you multiply the 12v rail by the amount of amps. In the case of what Blackbird said 12v*33amp = 396w of continues power. So a good quality psu with at least 33amps on its 12v rail will be able to handle that card with no issues.
  21. XFX or SEASONIC .

    SEASONIC makes XFX.
  22. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    The amps on the 12v rail is what is crucial to powering your card and specs.



    Hey bro, is it dangerous to have the corsair CX500 psu with my PC? Here's my list of components wiht a calculated wattage at the top: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2TNaY
    I've been running it for a few weeks and temperatures are good so far and a friend of mine has the same PSU, but a better GPU and Mobo. He has had his for a few weeks longer. But the next question i'm trying to ask is that, my room smells of my pc if the makes sense? i think its my psu, but my friend does not experience the same smell he says. But my pc has been running fine, should i not worry about it? or should i be very worried? I can't really smell it if im siiting down, but when i walk in my room i can. It sits on my desk next to me. if i ever add anything in the future it would just be a few more case fans, that's all.

    Sorry this is not related to Aerys question (sorry bro).
  23. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    XFX or SEASONIC .

    SEASONIC makes XFX.


    gonna get seasonic 750x :) thanks a lot sir
  24. Good choice your welcome.
  25. CosmicSaz said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    The amps on the 12v rail is what is crucial to powering your card and specs.



    Hey bro, is it dangerous to have the corsair CX500 psu with my PC? Here's my list of components wiht a calculated wattage at the top: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2TNaY
    I've been running it for a few weeks and temperatures are good so far and a friend of mine has the same PSU, but a better GPU and Mobo. He has had his for a few weeks longer. But the next question i'm trying to ask is that, my room smells of my pc if the makes sense? i think its my psu, but my friend does not experience the same smell he says. But my pc has been running fine, should i not worry about it? or should i be very worried? if i ever add anything in the future it would just be a few more case fans, that's all.

    Sorry this is not related to Aerys question (sorry bro).


    not a big deal :)
  26. For a system using a single AMD Reference Design Radeon R9 290 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.
  27. ko888 said:
    For a system using a single AMD Reference Design Radeon R9 290 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 750 Watt or greater system power supply. The power supply should also have a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 42 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin and one 8-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.


    gonna get 750w and has 12v 60+ amps
  28. aerys said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    A Radeon R9-290X needs at least 33 amps on the 12v rail and a 600w power supply.

    The wattage isn't the key the 12 volt rail is.


    can you explain more? im still confused sir thanks :)


    imma taking a crack:

    your PSU has 3.3, 5 and 12 volts there is also -12 and old ones have -5 but those are not important ATM.

    the primary voltage you system runs on is the 12 - CPU, graphics card, hard drive motor(s) and any fan.

    the rest; ram, chip set, logic on the HDs and wireless cards are 3.3 or 5 volts (as some told me once - if it spins, that 12 - if not than its 5 or 3.3)

    now since you are not overclocking the TDP (thermal design power) will give you a ballpark figure of how much wattage the CPU draws. and that 86 watts, lets round that up to 90.

    the HD uses around 5 to 8 watts of 12 volts for the motor, we'll say 8 and round up to 100 watts of 12 volts for everything so far.

    looking at a power consumption benchmark of JUST the R9-290X trixx the max "peak" power use is 282 watts (the max is furmark and it stresses the gpu more so than anything in RL) but lets round that up to 300 for a total of 400 watts needed from the 12 volt rail. 400/12= 33.33_ amps

    but we don't want the 12 volt rail to reach 100%, 80% is the highest so 34/.8= 42.5 amps. that would be the minimum amount of 12 volts that the PSU can supply continuously

    fyi, i have a antec NEO ECO 620 with 48 amps on the 12 volt rail and would not hesitate to run my i5-2400 and a R9-290X trixx card with it. . . just saying.


    edit: i swear i was too busy using a calculator and typing while ko888 posted . . .LOL.
  29. qbsinfo said:
    aerys said:
    SR-71 Blackbird said:
    A Radeon R9-290X needs at least 33 amps on the 12v rail and a 600w power supply.

    The wattage isn't the key the 12 volt rail is.


    can you explain more? im still confused sir thanks :)


    imma taking a crack:

    your PSU has 3.3, 5 and 12 volts there is also -12 and old ones have -5 but those are not important ATM.

    the primary voltage you system runs on is the 12 - CPU, graphics card, hard drive motor(s) and any fan.

    the rest; ram, chip set, logic on the HDs and wireless cards are 3.3 or 5 volts (as some told me once - if it spins, that 12 - if not than its 5 or 3.3)

    now since you are not overclocking the TDP (thermal design power) will give you a ballpark figure of how much wattage the CPU draws. and that 86 watts, lets round that up to 90.

    the HD uses around 5 to 8 watts of 12 volts for the motor, we'll say 8 and round up to 100 watts of 12 volts for everything so far.

    looking at a power consumption benchmark of JUST the R9-290X trixx the max "peak" power use is 282 watts (the max is furmark and it stresses the gpu more so than anything in RL) but lets round that up to 300 for a total of 400 watts needed from the 12 volt rail. 400/12= 33.33_ amps

    but we don't want the 12 volt rail to reach 100%, 80% is the highest so 34/.8= 42.5 amps. that would be the minimum amount of 12 volts that the PSU can supply continuously

    fyi, i have a antec NEO ECO 620 with 48 amps on the 12 volt rail and would not hesitate to run my i5-2400 and a R9-290X trixx card with it. . . just saying.


    edit: i swear i was too busy using a calculator and typing while ko888 posted . . .LOL.


    cool thanks for the information :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Graphics Cards Gigabyte Components Intel i7